Thursday, September 4, 2008

"Okay let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up."-Inigo Montoya

When Hannah was born, Justin spent the good part of our day asking when she could go back to the hospital. When Jackson was born, Hannah tried more than once to see if I would trade him for random girl babies we would see at the supermarket, doctor's office. So, when I see the siblings bonding instead of trying to pawn each other off, it warms the heart...

Even if it is watching the game show network together..."The top 3 answers are on the board, we polled 100 seven year olds: Name a random show you can watch with your baby brother..."

Justin was determined. He was going to play football this season. I wasn't ready for him to do this yet and I'm not going to shy away from the fact that I tried every reasoning in the book to get him to wait. Bribery, brutal honesty, passive aggressive persuasion, tried it all. The kid wants to play. I have to say, despite my concerns, which are still there, he has been so excited, practicing on his own every night, drilling Rhett for advice. He's turning into quite the sportsfiend but I suppose he comes by it honestly.
(You can read my "Confessions of a Sportsfans Wife"blog if you need the additional history.) And with Justin's favorite team being the Patriots and Rhett firmly in the Bronco camp, they have respectfully agreed to watch any Patriot/Bronco games on seperate tv's in seperate rooms. I'm totally serious. I don't have enough testosterone to merit getting involved; they seem to have things under control.

The first night he got his football equipment, he put it all on, and ended up falling asleep in it, watching the game. Visions of throwing the ball like Tom Brady, dancing in his head...

Drew has proved himself untrustworthy around the house. Thus, a serious series of gates and blockades are constantly being constructed to keep him somewhat contained. I came across this scene while getting ready for church. The kids had pulled up the hall bench and were just watching him. It reminded me so much of watching the monkeys at the zoo I just had to capture it.







13 comments:

Elisa said...

Melanie, I love reading your blog. What great post titles you have...mine are always so boring. I'll have to get you to write some for me. Anyway, I'm going to change our blog to private but I don't have your email. So I guess email me sabellee (at) gmail.com.

Anonymous said...

Cruel, that's what first came to mind when I saw the children watching. I thought maybe they had done this. All you need is the toddler leash. ;-)

Melanie said...

we actually owned one of those when justin was little. i'm not gonna lie, they're pretty handy!

The Brickman said...

O.K. This looks to me more like a rodeo. It's clear that all the kids are having a great time. They should have sold tickets to their friends.

Andy Norman said...

You should have made some popcorn to really complete the picture. We just put up a gate to keep Jennah out of the kitchen. I'd love to see Nibley sitting and watching Jennah on the other side like she was in a cage.

Lauren said...

The game show thing is just hilarious to me. So cute!

My condolences on the whole football thing. That is rough!

I love the "caged monkey" pictures! That is so darling! Ingenious. Who knew entertainment for the kids could come so cheap?

Amy C said...

So funny - and love the title. Justin looks great in his uniform. You're getting so techy - how did you put the little monkey picture on there? Super post, thanks for sharing. The Tayor Family is really really really ridiculously great!

JenJ said...

You are so so hilarious!!!! I called Dustin over to read your blog with me. I DIED about the alarm clock. And that is the cutest ever, seeing your kids all on the bench watching Drew. Loving the "cage".
So, imagine me, almost 10 PM here reading your blog laughing out loud here in our office. Thanks for the smiles.

Sharlene Enloe said...

First, Hannah cracks me up with her game show network! I can't believe that Justin is so big. He looks awesome in his uniform. Jackson has been begging me to let him play, but we are sticking with soccer and holding out until next year. He loves football, but he is so small that I worry about him getting crushed. Then, the kids watching the cute little monkey at the zoo is priceless!

Ben and Stephanie Taylor said...

when i first saw the picture of drew and the gate with the kids on the outside, i had actually thought that drew had finally found a way to claim his own territory! the older kids look like they're trapped in the hall way as drew surveys his spoils!

i find it hilarious about justin and rhett's "respectful agreement"! it's so like the two of them.

Jamie Anderson said...

LOL! So cute, I miss you guys! So I noticed you were reading the Odd Thomas books! How are you liking them? I started reading them last summer but never finished just wondering if I should? But not until after I finish Breaking Dawn of course!! and I am totally getting excited about the twilight movie! Okay I'm done blabbing!

Melanie said...

you haven't finished breaking dawn yet?? what am i going to do with you?!:) how many of the odd thomas books did you finish? the are really good, you should definately read them! miss you guys too!

Jamie Anderson said...

NO Melanie! I watch to much tv so I only read before bed! I have to watch my shows when they come on because we are lame and don't have tivo! Sad!