Sunday, April 20, 2008

Confessions of A Sport's Fans Wife

The NBA playoffs are among us. You may or may not even be aware of this depending on your affiliation with sports. Before Rhett, I was pretty oblivious. I had a father and 4 brothers (a hodgepodge of boyfriends) and the sports knowledge that I accumulated before I left home was that: there were sports, people played them, and I believe I was familiar with the phrase “Baseball is America’s pastime.” Neat.

I’ll bypass the boyfriend I had in college who LOVED the Patriots, and even the one who made me watch whenever the Celtics were on. I started dating Rhett and I was smitten. We did most things together from that point on. I suppose it took me awhile to catch on to the fact that whenever he would pick me up for a date, he would turn on ESPN for a quick update before we left. It seemed harmless, even cute. When he acted all mysterious about my birthday present, told me I would really love it, I tried not to get too excited when my roommates had me convinced that it was a ring. He was going to propose on my birthday!! When, in fact, all the excitement was because he had actually gotten us really good seats at the Jazz/Sonics. Second level baby!! A-woohoo! It's the present that keeps on giving, right?!(Who needs diamonds and a lifelong commitment when you can hold hands, eat popcorn and yell “DE-FENSE!” all night??)
Still, watching sports with Rhett was, in the end, time with him. He seemed so animated and excited to explain things to me, and I got to be completely adorable when I made little sports mistakes like, calling an onside kick in football an online kick. Or when I didn’t understand why they would always run up the middle. They always got tackled so fast that way. (“Hello?? Go around!”)
By our wedding day when I called him the morning of to see if he was feeling as excited and emotional as me, the fact that he was in his tux watching Sportscenter seemed very much our normal. I was marrying a sports fan. A huge sports fan. One who tried to listen up against the door to games after he had been sent to bed at age 6, a kid who at 3 had a Pittsburg Steelers shirt because he already had a favorite team. One who can recall not only stats, but actual plays from games that he wasn’t even born when they took place.

The tough thing about sports is that whenever one gets over, another one is there ready to take its place. And not only that, but somehow in our dating experience he came away with the impression that, I liked them too! The first few years I was a good sports fan’s wife. I dutifully watched, cheered and even jumped up and down when the Jazz made it to the finals. (That was pretty exciting; I’ll give it to him).
Year 5: “Watch the Jazz tonight? Didn’t they just play last night?”
Year 6: “I watch your sports, why don’t you watch any of my shows with me??”
Year 7: “Watch the Broncos? Call me when it’s the 4the quarter.”
Year 8: “How does me watching it with you, help??”
Year 9: “Oh it’s March Madness? I’ll see you in April sweetie.”
Year 10: “Honey, I really don’t think there is a referee conspiracy against the Jazz. Can I please go to bed now?”

Last night, during a high stress Jazz game, I tried to nonchalantly get myself across the family room to the office. No such luck. “Come on, will you please watch this with me, it’s sooo exciting! You’ll like it!” Ahh, year 11. As I throw myself dramatically onto the couch and sigh loudly with disinterest and mumble something about “against my will” under my breath, I have to acknowledge that my sports fan husband has taught me much over the years. How many wives get to know how the draft system really works? That a “pick and roll” is not just fun to say, but an actual way to get past a defender and get the ball to the hoop? Have you heard the story behind how Mike Shanahan became the coach of the Broncos? Or how the Spurs got Tim Duncan? Or how Michael Jordan pushed off of Bryon Russell in game 6? You should, it’s fascinating.
I know, I probably gave him a false sense of who I was when we were dating by appearing to love sports as much as he did. But in my defense (I mean, DE-FENSE!) I was really just enjoying being with him. I didn’t really understand just how much he loved sports. As another NBA playoffs is upon us, yet another hope that the Jazz could go all the way, I admire my husband’s loyalty, his steadfastness, his team spirit, his ability to watch 20 someodd teams play 5-7 games each. I also count my blessings that we have 3 sons he can mold and train and that it let’s me off the hook to go watch Dancing with the Stars.



9 comments:

The Sandoval Family said...

We really need to live closer together because Rhett sounds JUST LIKE Brian. Then they can watch sports, talk sports, play sports together and well, we... can go shopping!!!

Amy C said...

A+++!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

You are too freakin halarious. My husband is actually NOT one of the freaks...thank God. But he does seem to be able to keep up with the rest of them somehow. Not sure how you do it, but keep up the good work!

Lauren said...

You are so funny Mel! I love it! Nate is not a fanatical sports-type. He likes watching his teams and he likes watching if it's a good game, but beyond that he's "normal." :) We seem to be on the same page, so that works out well for me.

I do think Rhett owes you a few years of "Dancing with the Stars" though! ;)

Xela said...

Mel, I am practicly peeing my pants I am laughing so hard!!!! This is my life!!! Jeff is such a huge sports fan I can totaly relate. I like you in the beginning pretended to be interested in all this, I learned all the sports teams, players etc. But now that we are on year 11 I am with you, hunny let me know how it turns out. Once in awhile I will watch a game but mostly because how else am I gonna spend time with him? I started filling out march madness brachetts about 6 years ago just so I could know what in the heck he was talking about and one year I beat him that was the BEST!!! Sometimes picking the teams because I really like blue, works! haha

the letter "J" said...

Way too funny! I'm glad that Jason isn't a big sports fan at all. He is more electronic, I'm not sure it's any better though! :o)

Julie

The Holcombs said...

too funny, I think we all trick our hubbies with this thought that they are marrying awesome women who are devoted sports fans. But hey, at least I let him watch the sports. I am at year 3 and already equate to you at year 8. So I just feel very mature for our marriage. Totally entertaining. thanks

Ben and Stephanie Taylor said...

(steph, not ben) yeah, i was very upfront with ben about a couple of things before we got married. first and foremost, i told him shaving my legs was not a priority for me-not that i'm an amazon woman, but i can live with a little stubble or more. so when the winter coat starts to thicken and i see him looking at my legs like, "that's interesting..." i feel no guilt about an premarital promises!

Ben and Stephanie Taylor said...

I may not complain that Steph chooses not to shave her legs frequently, but she does have to wear pajama pants to bed if she hasn't shaved. "DE-FENSE!"