
Take a look at this picture, see anything weird? Look closely....Yes it's 3:30, right, right. What about the cord, is it plugged in? That would be a negative. So how is it telling time? In order to explain, I must go back...
Technology and I have been at an impasse for quite some time. It won't make itself any easier to understand and I lack the left brain capabilities that would help me to know how it works. Add to that my disdain for reading instructions and one could say I had a problem.
A few months back our alarm clock was on the fritz. It wasn't a huge surprise being as the one we had up till that point was mine from college which had actually belonged to my roommate Laura... but anyways, not important to the story...so it was time for a grown up alarm clock. I found this one and it seemed to fit the bill. Not only would it tell time and wake you up but it was also a sound machine and I could dock my Ipod to it as well. True to form, when I got it home, I tossed the very thick booklet of instructions and plugged it in; how hard could an alarm clock be? Turns out...very hard. My first few attempts to set the alarm ended up in us being jolted awake by the sound machine feature, thinking that we were suddenly being attacked by huge waves and angry seagulls.
A few other attemps to set the clock ended up in a hit or miss game.Some mornings it would go off, others it wouldn't. The worst part is that there's no clear button to indicate how you shut it off so my solution (being the tech savvy person that I am) was to turn it down.
Which brings us to current. So I had been using the Ipod feature, hence the volume was back up again, and the next morning the alarm starts going off at 5:30 just as loud as can be. Several attempts to hit the correct sequence of buttons did not silence it. And apparently I have it on some sort of ascending volume feature because it's getting louder and louder. Being awoken abruptly from sleep is not a shining moment for either of us and so the horrible noise is now accompanied by:
"Turn it off!"
"I'm trying it won't!"
"Push all the buttons!"
"What do you think I'm doing over here?"
"Turn the volume down!"
"I can't see the dial!"
"Just unplug it before I'm all the way awake!"
When you do a dramatic gesture in anger you do so thinking there will be this big payoff. Rhett ripping the plug from the wall, with the force that very well could have taken off some dry wall with it was supposed to feel very vindicating. We'd show that clock who was boss! Yeah, it was boss, because it was STILL going off. Now fully awake we start handling it like it's a bomb that won't deactivate. Either enough time had elapsed or we've inadvertently hit the right button and it finally stops. The whole day I pass by it thinking I have either bought the smartest alarm clock in the world or the most diabolical. I had almost decided to take it back to the store because this was clearly too much clock for just two people . And to be totally honest, it scared me a little. Struck by sudden inspiration I thought finally to turn the clock upside down and sure enough found that it was also... battery operated. Two things I have learned from this. I need to remember that technology is still way smarter than me and when I buy it, less is definitley more.
9 comments:
okay, mel, i want you to promise me something. if "they" ever do create household robots, please don't ever buy one. if robots are going to take over the earth, i think they would find you an easy warm up...
Hilarious! When I was on my mission one of my comps had this alarm clock that was RIDICULOUSLY LOUD! So loud that when it went off we would wake in a panic. It would take a few minutes to calm down after the thing went off. After a few days of hearing the alarm I would wake up in a sweat a few minutes before it went off.
And Steph is right. Our robot overlords will start the invasion at your house.
lol! i know, it's like it gives you this post tramatic distress disorder or something! oh and don't worry, i've seen i-robot, i'm wise to what's going to go down...
I like the imagery of being attacked by seagulls, seriously! Who finds that relaxing? I have a similar alarm clock that plays "peaceful" sounds to wake me up. Either it is too soft to wake me up, or too loud that I wake up with my heart beating at 120 BPM. There was one night that it went off playing sounds of a waterfall... lets not even go into that realm on what happened next. :-) The battery back up is a good idea, when you loose power, it keeps the time... All hail Robot Overloard Zaud!
Too funny! I can totally picture you two fighting the alarm clock, desperate to make the noise stop! And I must assume that you didn't realize the battery thing sooner cuz of the whole being jolted awake thing. I think adrenaline stops up the brain flow. And, FYI, we have the same alarm clock that I used in college (much longer ago than you!) and Bill STILL fights that thing every morning!
yes, if i had realized it was being backed up by battery i would not have been afraid of what i believed to be my half alive alarm clock!:)
Alarm clocks are evil, purely for the reason they exsist...to wake us up before the sun is shining. That being said, it sounds cool with all its gadgety wonder, but NOT so cool if it's too hard to figure out! I
hope you develop a good, working relationship soon, even if it does have a difficult personality.
I just wish I could have been a fly on the wall to watch that scene. Pure comedy!
LOVE IT! Just too funny!
Post a Comment