Let's start with a simple one. "Here."
"Come over here please."
(Child pokes his head around the corner.)
"Please come here."
(Child then walks 5 steps.)
"Come, here." 3 more steps.
"Here, here, come heee-rrreee!" Eyes wild, hands signaling to the space in front of you in wild circling motions.
Child: "Geez, fine I didn't know."
Another personal favorite is the elusive "hurry." I have run several semi scientific experiments with this and I'm half convinced when a parent says the word "hurry" the sound gets trapped and confused in the eardrum, until the brain then actually hears the words: slow down.
At the very least it understands the phrase to mean: continue at my current pace. No amount of saying the word over and over, arm waving or lengthy explanation of why we're trying to hurry seems to produce the desired effect.
I honestly think I could run out to the car yelling "Let's hurry, hurry, hurry, we're late and we have to be to this thing on time or the Earth will EXPLODE!"
(Child: Glazed over expression while dragging his feet stopping to work industriously on zipping his jacket that he's been told repeatedly for months is actually broken), "Hey, when can I get a new Webkin?"
I feel like Chris Tucker in those Rush Hour movies with Jackie Chan. Eyes popping out of my head, the vein in my neck bulging: "Do you understand the words that are comin' out of my mouth?!?" (Okay, it's possible I watch too many movies.) But still.
The gold medal winner, in my book, of words not meaning what they think they mean has to be the phrase, "I know."
"Oh Jackson, babe, we don't eat food in the living room, up to the table."
Jackson: Ok, ok, I know.
Hmmmm.
"Justin, you're on the computer but I told you to do your chores first."
"Yeah, I know."
???
"Hannah, those dishes are still wet, you've got to dry them before you put them away."
"Mom, I KNOW! Geez."
Really?? Cuz in the words of Jerry Seinfeld, "I don't think you do." You're walking toward the cabinet trailing water all around you with what looks like every intention of putting that away sopping wet, so I'm thinking that's the exact opposite of knowing. And that's really the most important part in understanding, is the knowing. Anybody can just say they know."
But really, I'm just the parent so, what do I know. :P
5 comments:
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! The best part, "When can I get a new webkin?"
Mel,
You make me laugh! Stacy and Raleen are coming to visit this week. Calgary will never be the same. ha ha I sure miss seeing you my darling friend.
Stacey
mkay, you are absolutely SPOT ON!! But, if I may, you for got the word "huh?". You know the one where you THINK you have the child's undevided attention while explaining -whatever it is that needs explaining. You go over the directions twice. While they are still looking at you dead in the eye. And then, at the end say, "got it?". Only to have them say, "huh?". Which begs you to ask, "did you hear anything I just said?". Only to hear, once again, "huh?"
yeah, THAT one's my favorite.....
It took me forever to finish reading this post because I could barely read through my tears... I was laughing so hard. Totally made my day! Is this what I have to look forward to? Jennah's already showing signs of "parental deafness" (as I call it). Thanks for sharing!!... and making me laugh so hard!
Why is that? Why, when we say, "hurry," does time seem to all but come to a complete stop?
Love it. Thank you, my friend, for the laughs (as ususal). I love your witty ways.
Post a Comment