
I know I promised you Tulum posts on demand, but let me tell you, as much fun as I had, I think that maybe our loving, genuine and amazing Yoga instructors, Sean and Karen, were actually trying to kill me. "Death By Yoga" the headline would have read. I may have actually cried at times if I hadn't already sweat out all available liquid in my body. Hours upon hours everyday of amazing, wonderful and exhausting yoga. If I could have blogged I would have, but at the end of the day even my fingertips were sore and I was asleep under my mosquito netting as soon as head hit pillow. That doesn't exactly clear me of why I've taken my sweet time in blogging since I got back, but, let's not dwell, shall we?
The point of it all is that I learned so much, met friends that I was meant to meet in this lifetime and fired up a decade long passion that I can't wait to share.

It was never a disappointment to get up early for our silent walk down the beach when you got to wake up to this.
It was never a disappointment to get up early for our silent walk down the beach when you got to wake up to this.
Upon arriving, and all the meet and greets that were going on, the question that seemed to come up as often as "So where are you from?" was: "So do you know when we get our schedule?" A question that was quickly and expertly evaded by our instructors with things like, "let's wait and talk about it" or, "stay tuned." One of the main themes if you will, of Yoga is "being present." It's a fantastic thing to practice; not being 10 steps ahead or ten steps behind in your mind. If you're always "there" then when are you ever "here"? It's beautiful really. Except of course when you just think you'll feel a whole heck of a lot better with a black and white itinerary in your hot little hands!
But Sean and Karen told us to trust the process, so, all the A types took a deep breath in and a deep breath out. And while a routine quickly emerged, I have to say, not being able to assign expectations to things, or be all in my head the whole time, simply taking things as they came, was a gift.


I couldn't tell if my roommate thought it was funny or bizarre that the highlight of my day were the towel animals the staff would leave for us in our rooms. I just thought it was the coolest thing. I mean, how could one possibly know this could even be until you see it?? This was a bunny and the elephant...for the life of me I can't find the one of the swan, but I think we can agree why this made the highlight reel!

Sarah, Scout (Karen and Sean's daughter), Ali, Yetilese, Me, Brandon. I seriously never wore shoes. I had to fish out the ones I wore on the first day from under my bed when it was time to go home.


Lauren and Kelly before evening class. (Thought I should clarify as there were many classes all day!) I miss my peeps!
You get a group of yogis together for a week and very quickly a favorite past time for everyone becomes doing yoga pose pictures around the beach. Didn't fully realize how badly this could have ended if I lost balance till I got up there. I think this is the kind of knuckle headed thing our Moms always warn us against.


Brandon and Jessica in Crow.

Beth Ann do not be jealous. I promise our vegetarian fare was delicious, but on the last day I walked down the beach to another resort and tracked me down some guacamole and chips! Man cannot live on healthy food alone. The phrase goes something like that.

Not only did drinking out of coconuts make me feel like I could totally be on Survivor, but they were a necessity in staying hydrated. Brandon from our group wasn't careful and wound up so crazy dehydrated he ended up in a Mexican hospital where, when he came to, said he saw an iron sitting on top of an X-ray machine and laundry strung up all around him. After that, I quickly made sure I had a coconut in my hand at every available moment.

On Wednesday we got a few free hours in the morning to run off and explore as much as we could before getting back to class in the afternoon. I ended up seeing the Mayan ruins and snorkeling in these underground freshwater caves called "cenotes." The Mayans believe the caves were formed by the meteors that hit the earth that destroyed the dinosaurs. There are actually several theories but this is the one I liked best and have decided to go ahead and believe. It was an incredible day as the Ruins, the beach, and the cenotes were beyond amazing. The only disappointment is that the pictures don't do any of it justice.

The beach at the Ruins is thought by the locals to be healing. Dolphins bring their sick to swim in the waters here. I guess I don't know about any of that, but if I were a dolphin and could come to any beach, I'd come here every time too.



After our amazing dip in the ocean, we came across this scene and were glad none of us had needed any rescuing. Cuz you know, don't think you're supposed to get the cast wet for at least 8 weeks...



Point goes to the Ruins for being an incredible civilization that has survived the ages. Point to me for not freaking out at the dozens of Iguanas who have made it home.


After a long week of 15 hour days, yoga session after yoga session, we thought our instructors a bit sadistic that on our last very demanding day they were still planning on our night class. They surprised us with what turned out to be "hip hop yoga" and a mass dance party ensued. I hope I never forget the memory of Brandon dancing to Single Ladies. Best yoga graduation ever!

Followed up by a night of salsa dancing and the ever present question, "You're on Facebook right??"



I left Tulum with my mind quiet, my body strong, and really really ready to see my family! I land in DFW, (unfortunately without my smuggled Coca-Cola light) stand in line at customs and smile politely at the customs officer who scans my passport. After a few minutes he marks my custom papers with a big red circle and says, "Will you come with me please?" He then walks me into this room that I can only interpret as walking onto the set of Law and Order. Plastic chairs, florescent lighting, partitioned off by a glass wall where I can only speak into a cut out hole. The man talks to another man behind the glass wall and I'm asked to step up. He asks me my name, my social security number, my height, my age, my address. He types the information into the computer while I am calmly having what I can only describe as a quiet stroke. Suddenly I am sure that someone has put something in my bag back in Mexico and I am now going to be Claire Danes from 7 Years In Tibet.

Fortunately I am the "good" Melanie Taylor and I am home safe and sound from an amazing learning experience that I will not soon forget. I know (to a large degree anyway) that it's not all about me, and I am blogging backlogged on much that has happened this summer that I have very little to do with, thankfully! But thank you for reading and wanting to know. I hope to be teaching soon so I'll keep you posted.
And of course, Namaste.

I couldn't tell if my roommate thought it was funny or bizarre that the highlight of my day were the towel animals the staff would leave for us in our rooms. I just thought it was the coolest thing. I mean, how could one possibly know this could even be until you see it?? This was a bunny and the elephant...for the life of me I can't find the one of the swan, but I think we can agree why this made the highlight reel!
Sarah, Scout (Karen and Sean's daughter), Ali, Yetilese, Me, Brandon. I seriously never wore shoes. I had to fish out the ones I wore on the first day from under my bed when it was time to go home.

Lauren and Kelly before evening class. (Thought I should clarify as there were many classes all day!) I miss my peeps!
You get a group of yogis together for a week and very quickly a favorite past time for everyone becomes doing yoga pose pictures around the beach. Didn't fully realize how badly this could have ended if I lost balance till I got up there. I think this is the kind of knuckle headed thing our Moms always warn us against.

Brandon and Jessica in Crow.

Beth Ann do not be jealous. I promise our vegetarian fare was delicious, but on the last day I walked down the beach to another resort and tracked me down some guacamole and chips! Man cannot live on healthy food alone. The phrase goes something like that.
Not only did drinking out of coconuts make me feel like I could totally be on Survivor, but they were a necessity in staying hydrated. Brandon from our group wasn't careful and wound up so crazy dehydrated he ended up in a Mexican hospital where, when he came to, said he saw an iron sitting on top of an X-ray machine and laundry strung up all around him. After that, I quickly made sure I had a coconut in my hand at every available moment.
On Wednesday we got a few free hours in the morning to run off and explore as much as we could before getting back to class in the afternoon. I ended up seeing the Mayan ruins and snorkeling in these underground freshwater caves called "cenotes." The Mayans believe the caves were formed by the meteors that hit the earth that destroyed the dinosaurs. There are actually several theories but this is the one I liked best and have decided to go ahead and believe. It was an incredible day as the Ruins, the beach, and the cenotes were beyond amazing. The only disappointment is that the pictures don't do any of it justice.
The beach at the Ruins is thought by the locals to be healing. Dolphins bring their sick to swim in the waters here. I guess I don't know about any of that, but if I were a dolphin and could come to any beach, I'd come here every time too.
After our amazing dip in the ocean, we came across this scene and were glad none of us had needed any rescuing. Cuz you know, don't think you're supposed to get the cast wet for at least 8 weeks...
Point goes to the Ruins for being an incredible civilization that has survived the ages. Point to me for not freaking out at the dozens of Iguanas who have made it home.

After a long week of 15 hour days, yoga session after yoga session, we thought our instructors a bit sadistic that on our last very demanding day they were still planning on our night class. They surprised us with what turned out to be "hip hop yoga" and a mass dance party ensued. I hope I never forget the memory of Brandon dancing to Single Ladies. Best yoga graduation ever!
Followed up by a night of salsa dancing and the ever present question, "You're on Facebook right??"


I left Tulum with my mind quiet, my body strong, and really really ready to see my family! I land in DFW, (unfortunately without my smuggled Coca-Cola light) stand in line at customs and smile politely at the customs officer who scans my passport. After a few minutes he marks my custom papers with a big red circle and says, "Will you come with me please?" He then walks me into this room that I can only interpret as walking onto the set of Law and Order. Plastic chairs, florescent lighting, partitioned off by a glass wall where I can only speak into a cut out hole. The man talks to another man behind the glass wall and I'm asked to step up. He asks me my name, my social security number, my height, my age, my address. He types the information into the computer while I am calmly having what I can only describe as a quiet stroke. Suddenly I am sure that someone has put something in my bag back in Mexico and I am now going to be Claire Danes from 7 Years In Tibet.
It takes a few minutes but he says, "Okay, I can verify that you are who you say you are."
Me: "Has someone stolen my identity or something?"
Officer: "No, but apparently there is a bad Melanie Taylor walking around and we had to make sure. And by the way, I don't recommend you go to Florida anytime soon. She's wanted there and if you got pulled over, they wouldn't be able to verify right away that you are who you say you are."
Me: "Like, I'd get arrested??" Suddenly aghast like I had these big upcoming Florida plans or something. But still.
Officer: "Yes Ma'am. And until this person is caught you can expect this to happen every time you re-enter the United States. But welcome home, you're good to go."
Fortunately I am the "good" Melanie Taylor and I am home safe and sound from an amazing learning experience that I will not soon forget. I know (to a large degree anyway) that it's not all about me, and I am blogging backlogged on much that has happened this summer that I have very little to do with, thankfully! But thank you for reading and wanting to know. I hope to be teaching soon so I'll keep you posted.
And of course, Namaste.

7 comments:
I am glad you had such a good time. The same thing happened to dad one time coming back in the country. There is/was a bad Richard Anderson-I wonder if the bad Melanie is his daughter??
Gorgeous photos, so jealous over here!
Hope you get teaching soon so you can put all that knowledge to action!
Mom, that's so crazy! What are the chances? Maybe they are partners in crime?! Amy! I love that you and Bart do yoga! I am trying to get a class together so I'll keep you posted!
Rest Assured, that the rest of us 'put up' with this tulum vacay & the ever-beautiful pictures just so you could teach us our own private yoga sessions...
And yes, that food will be giving nightmares (do you think I could have a healthier digestive system through osmosis?) Those yoga pose pics are surreal...I'm seeing another magazine cover in your future lady!! :)
Wow Melanie!! I admire your adventure! How COOL you met your goal and can now teach!! Way to go!!
I don't know if you could have found a more beautiful and serene place to do yoga ... so cool!!
Post a Comment