Monday, May 17, 2010

What Not To Wear

Never missing an opportunity to appear younger and cooler than I am, my much younger and cooler sister Caroline and I were planning on attending a Frightened Rabbit concert in Dallas at a place called The Loft. Oh yes. It's as cool as it sounds. And for those of you still hung up on the name Frightened Rabbit, it's a band. We weren't attending some weird sounding animal rights meeting or anything.

Annnyyway...because of the Icelandic volcano, the band was stuck over seas and couldn't make the Dallas gig. (Side note: I mean honestly, I'm not a scientist or anything, but this must have been one kick butt volcano. A wall of ash so dense and so high that nothing can get through. Amazing. It's a good thing more of them don't erupt or we'd get nothing done.)

So instead, The Loft put on a free concert consisting of bands with names even more obscure than Frightened Rabbit, like, Matthew and the Arrogant Sea or some such nonsense. We had the time blocked out to go and going downtown to hear some up and coming bands seemed like something a person would do if one of their goals was to appear young and cool.
All my hard work to appear as such went down in flames when upon climbing the stairs to the loft I awkwardly proclaimed, "Well, so this must be the loft part of the loft." (See at the time it made sense in my head cuz you had to go up this extra set of stairs see and--oh-kay you know what, just never mind!)

The bands were alright...Caroline and I had more fun taking pictures of ourselves and annoying all the Emo's with our, "Okay now let's do one with our surprised face!"





Maybe I've missed an important memo. Been somewhat busy raising kids, cleaning house, watching movies, and resting in Downward Facing Dog, but clearly I have missed what is happening with men's fashion. Everywhere I looked boys were dressed and groomed so....weird. Bushy unbrushed hair, tight shirts and even tighter jeans and hand on the Bible I saw a couple of them in capris. Capris! What the--?!

It's like as women we got distracted, and in that time, the men took to dressing themselves with no supervision. And look! Look what has happened! Boys who are not skinny in skinny jeans?? Capris, boat shoes, low cut v-neck tshirts, hair and beards that are typically showcased on mugshots from America's Most Wanted? It's like you accidently stared directly at the sun: Wha-why-what's happening?! No! My eyes! Oh it burns!

I understand that my status as young and hip is going to take a bit of a hit here, but the mom in me can't help it:

Get a haircut, wear slacks and a clean shirt and for heaven sakes, if you are eyeing something that you could also buy in the women's department, you need to put it down and walk away. That is all.

5 comments:

scott said...

Oh yeah, it's disgusting. I've been subbing at local schools the last couple of years, and I am shocked to see what's "cool" with the kids these days: belts that serve no purpose, jeans that couldn't make it up to the waist on a good day, and whatever other combination that'd make Eli Whitney wish he'd never invented the cotton gin.

Beth Ann said...

I'm not gonna lie about it, Aiden had some capri...when he was 2....that I think were actually really long shorts...

You would think that we were safe our here in TX what with good ol' boys out here not blending with fashion & all...

JM Inc. said...

Amen sister...I think it all started with the pink madras plaid shorts and escalated from there...anyway, tell me your get skinny after baby secrets! You look fabulous and I've still got 8 or so sneaky pounds that are really giving me fits. Please help!! I want to wear the skinny jeans like you (:

Melanie said...

You are too sweet Mandy! I have found a dance class and doing my yoga have been working great, combined with limiting my sugars to no more than 15 grams a day:) You don't need my advice though, you always look great!

Amy C said...

Here Here! I don't get it, and I don't like male skinny jeans! Boys should be boys. Period.