Friday, April 24, 2009

Why My Children Will Probably Need Therapy, Reason 44

Growing up, we were not allowed to sit on the couch. If you looked in the windows of the Anderson household any given night, you'd see us cozily huddled around the 19 inch TV while sitting on the floor, next to the couch. Furniture was expensive. The one couch that we had for years was continually being reupholstered. It was at least a two week process that consisted of batting, fabric, and a fully loaded staple gun. (Home improvement projects were a huge element to my childhood. If you came home and saw a pile of wood, a hand sander, and an economy size tub of turpentine, you would know your weekend was pretty much shot. But that's a post all in its own.)
Our excitement to finally be able to come into the family room again was met with a wild crazed stare and frantic arm gestures like we had all gone and lost our minds.
"Don't sit on it! It needs to stay nice!" Sometimes we'd be allowed to sit on it, but there were rules. You had to sit all the way back, no slouching, no laying, no eating, no rough play, no bouncing, no sliding off the front of it, no resting your arms on the armrests. Eventually Mom couldn't take the stress of it all and we were ordered back on to the floor.

There was also a formal couch in the living room that you were not allowed to even look at, lest you somehow wear it down with your eye gaze. I remember wanting to sit on this couch more than anything. I can't remember where she had gotten it, but there were few things worse you could do than try and sit on the living room couch. I tried to date before I was sixteen, hang out with friends my parents didn't approve of, say my term paper was done when it wasn't, but you wouldn't catch me within a twenty foot radius of the living room couch. I may have been a tad rebellious, but I wasn't crazy.

I would take this opportunity now, 20 years after the fact, to confess I once waited until she was gone on errands, and the kids occupied elsewhere in the house (couldn't trust those little snitches) and secretly sat on the couch for like four or five glorious minutes. But I won't. Even at 31 I know I can somehow still get grounded. It's like her superpower.

Anyone who's spent any time in my house over the last five years can appreciate that I may have some "couch issues." I've bought and sold five different couches looking for the perfect one. Somewhere along the way, I must have construed that the couch is revered and treasured. I buy one, and then quickly am convinced it is not "the right one." Whatever that means. To his credit, Rhett puts up with it amazing well. As long as I sell them, he's indulged me in the couch craziness. Personally I like to pretend I'm Indiana Jones and this is my own personal Quest for the Grail.

As I spent a good portion of the other morning cleaning, I realized that any trauma or baggage I may have associated with never being able to sit on a couch, is small potatoes to what I stress over with my own family.
After hours of housework, I don't want anyone to use the entire house.

"Wait! What are you doing? Don't use the bathroom, I just cleaned that!"
"What is your plan for those shoes? You weren't just going to leave those right there were you?"
"Uh ba-ba-ba-ba, why are you making a sandwich? Didn't you just eat a few hours ago at school?"

After a good scrub down of the kitchen the other day, I couldn't bear for any food to be made in there just yet. I piled the boys in the car and headed for the drive thru. I'm in my scrub clothes, hat pulled down low, dark glasses (since the drive thru workers light up when they see me like we're old pals) and was busy contemplating if my children will be traumatized by never being allowed inside a clean house. As we pull up to order, Drew, who says a total of about four words right now (Mommy, Dada, Uh-oh, and socks) says words five and six, that I had been suspecting for about a week that he could say: Chiggen Nuggies!

It's possible we are there a bit too much.

In the journey to becoming my mother, my understanding for why she did the things she did increases. Motherhood and running the household is a tricky business. So much of your hard work, blood, sweat and tears goes into cleaning up after everyone. It's also full of back breaking projects to beautify the home while trying to save a few dollars. There's this satisfaction that comes along with your work, and it can be heartbreaking, literally, to see it ruined after every one's been home for an hour. Buried in the realistic part of your brain, you know you can't escape the fact that it's not any one's fault. It's simply the place where everyone lives, eats, sleeps, plays, and relaxes. Dang it!
I tried to explain it to Rhett once like, "What if you had spent all day calling and meeting with clients, selling ads, making deals, resolving problems, only to come back to the office to see me on your phone and email systematically undoing everything you had spent the entire day getting accomplished? While he saw my reasoning, he pointed out that the house getting used and messed up is not a premeditated diabolical plot. Hmm. I suppose that's true.
When I was younger my mom's BFF, Pam Gower had a magnet on her fridge. It said: Housework is something people only notice when you don't do it. I have no idea how I remember that. My subconscious must have recognized that those were wise words and tucked them away until a day off in the future when I would truly appreciate them.
Maybe Mr. Incredible said it best: No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again. Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit? I feel like the maid; I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!

16 comments:

Beth Ann said...

alright, you have burst my bubble...I thought it was just ME that the drive-thru guys had eyes for...Beckett will now extract his binkie the minute that we pull into any fast-food area, he knows what's coming...I can't wait to visit my kids when they are married & mess up their house the minute I walk in...Karma will just have to wait!

JGW said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JGW said...

First, my mom claims that they only reupholstered that couch only one time — "It was a lot of work. Of course she was going to keep everyone off! I admire how Cindy kept everyone off."

Second, we all become our mothers. It's unavoidable. (And I'm not even married yet!) I've heard myself reminding my roommates that the dishwasher is dirty, and dirty dishes can go in there.

Third, I have a picture of Daniel and I on the living room couch. Quite rare.

Oh, and I remember the formal couch. If you wished for death, just sit on that couch. When my mom heard that part of the blog, she said "That couch was expensive. It was just for looks. Why would you think of siting on it?"

Kudos on remembering the magnet, word for word. It's still on our fridge.

Melanie said...

LOL Jess!! Well, I'd hate to have to throw down the challenge gauntlet with you mom, (cuz I'd most likely lose) but I could have sworn that couch was at least 3 different fabrics from OH to IN!! Maybe that one time was just so tramatic...

Melanie said...

P.S. I would love a copy of that picture of you and D on the couch! I'd put it up with this post!!

Anonymous said...

How fun! Your new blog banner is great...totally summer. You gotta teach me how to do that. (you know, cuz I'm too lazy to learn how on my own)

Saw your Mom tonight at CM. I love when you tell you childhood stories...they are so hilarious & you guys have the wittiest banter between you.

I think everyone can relate to the "nice" couch thing. Or, the good room with the good carpet. Moms were smarter than us back then: they knew it was wise to invent these kid-free zones. Why don't we do that? I picture them laughing maniacally with their feet up on the good sofa after we, as kids, have gone to bed. Yes, our moms pulled one over on us with those good rooms, nice sofas, and fancy carpet that we could never touch.

Andy, Beth and Jennah, too! said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE reading your blogs... your wit is spectacular! I can't wait to read your book someday...how's it coming along?

Xela said...

AMEN Sister! That is exactly how I feel. Just this week I was working my tail off to prepare for my mom-in-law to get here and darn if those kids and Jeff werent right behind me messing everything up. UGH! I have been known to throw quite the fit when I have just mopped the kitchen floor and one of my precious children spills apple juice, it never fails! Clean house is a magnent for dirty children! :)

Lisa said...

The good news is, you've made a great case for your parents paying the therapy bill! (Sorry, Cindy...) :)

Leslie said...

such an awesome post. i have a fridge magnet, speaking of those, that says, "we both can't look good at the same time. It's either me or the house." sadly, it's usually me who is more put together. people often ask me where i find time to blog or read, and i say, "have you popped in on me unannounced lately and seen the state o' my house? then you would know."

Ben and Stephanie Taylor said...

Hilarious post, Mel! And I love, love love Justin's comment about the economy! What a realist!

Tara said...

OH my goodness!! You're hilarious! Ugh... though I don't have my own kids, I am a nanny... and I DO know what you are talking about.... sigh.... I did just save the world, keep it saved for heaven sakes!

Anonymous said...

lol-1. The fact that the couch had to be reupholstered a couple times would indicate that people sat on it.
2. You are welcome for teaching you proper furniture sitting etiquette.
3. Pam and I seriously discussed getting a plastic cover for the couch-so it could have been worse.
4. Your kids were over last week and they all were laying all over my furniture having snacks and drinking soda pop!
Funny post :-)

Jamie Anderson said...

Will says:

1. This post rocked. While the couch was awesome, it should also be noted that the couch and a large crate were the only furniture in the family room. The logic as stated by mom and dad in later years is inarguable. Why would they spend money on furniture with SEVEN children in the house?

2. I remember in the later years of "the couch" that re-upolstering was done away with and replaced with a quilt that was strategically tucked in over it.

As Jamie reads this story its is fun for me to tell her about how the infamous "fancy couch" is now up in the game room and that quilt/couch covering is draped over the bench in the entryway hall. Mere, decorations now, its funny to remember the significance of these items.

Bob Norman said...

Melanie: Even though it is a long time after the event, you still sat on a couch that you were not suppose to sit on! You are grounded!

texaswilliams said...

Too funny Mel! You have a way of saying what we all know but don't think about saying until you write it and we all say that is so true!Good luck with your run! Love ya,

sw