From the movies that came out of left field and suprised, to the highly anticipated ones that did not disappoint. Well. I could gush forever, so, on with the reviews.
17 Again

So, my first question is: Where has Zac Efron been hiding? Oh that's right. On the Disney Channel. That my kids watch. That my eight year old has a crush on. So when Beth suggested we go see this with a group of our friends on the same night that State of Play came out, I did my best to suggest that maybe we go see a "grown up" movie. So happy she typically ignores my pleas like this, and makes me do things anyway. This. Was. So. Good.
It was hilarious, well acted, amazingly touching and even satisfied my inner sci-fi geek. (Beth and I even snuck off for a matinee and saw it a second time. It only gets funnier.) The movie is kind of like Big, but in reverse. Matthew Perry is the adult who made choices at 17, that now at 36, thinks have derailed his life. With the help of a "spiritual guide" he gets to go back to being 17, but with his 36 year old mind fully intact. He thinks this is his chance to take a different path, but instead
is a heartwarming and hilarious journey to put his family back together again.I know cynics out there will say that this type of movie has been done again and again. (I know, cuz I was one of them!) But I promise you. Go see it. Zac has some serious acting chops, and the entire cast is as talented as the writing is brilliant. I mean, who of us wouldn't love to go back to high school knowing what we know now? Go and live vicariously. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll think Mr. Efron is oh so dreamy, and you'll thank me later.





Beth Ann gave it: (5 Lin Manuel Miranda's for non Broadway buffs)





State of Play

While I wasn't disappointed with this movie, it had it's pros's and con's. I absolutely love a good conspiracy story, and while this was definitely that, I struggled a bit with the pacing. Russell Crow, Helen Miren and Rachel McAdams turned in great acting performances. Ben Affleck...bless his heart, he's a sweet spirit, but he's, well, Ben Affleck. All in all he pulled it off, but would have loved to see someone more believable and gritty in the role. I think I wanted to be on the edge of my seat with this one, and while it had it's moments, sometimes I felt it dragged just a bit at times. Plus, if you're going to do the whole political conspiracy, (which has been sooo done) you need to really surprise us, and the twist at the end left me a bit underwhelmed. A highlight for me was a small role played by Jason Bateman. I just adore him.
He does what he does so well, and I believe he goes under appreciated because he always makes it look easy. He is such a smart funny actor who pulls me into whatever character he is playing every time, and his role in this didn't disappoint. I don't know if I would say go run and see this in the theater, but if you rented it, I think you'd really enjoy yourself.



Caroline gives it:



X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Okay, we have arrived at the part of the review where you may be embarrassed you know me. I love comic book/sci-fi movies. Not just like as a friend them, but LOVE them. And my love for X-Men stems from my childhood, and my loyalty is deeply rooted. I don't know why it's a surprise to me every time, when it's a challenge to get my girlfriends to go to them with me, but I keep forgetting that I'm a little nerdy. I ended up seeing this in the middle of the day, by myself. I'm pretty sure we can file that under Dedicated, and not Ridiculous. While I'm sure you can appreciate that there is some bias on my part, I can say, for the most part, I really enjoyed myself at this. It was well acted, tons of great action, and they told Wolverine's story well. While critics were disappointed with the lack of development with some of the other mutants stories, I thought the focus given them was appropriate given that this wasn't their story. The title is Origins: Wolverine, after all. It was so fun to see some of the characters I grew up with, like Gambit and The Blob, but ultimately I was there for Hugh. Er, I mean, Logan aka Wolverine. Another actor who makes what he does look easy. If you are a fan of the series, I believe you will walk away happy campers.




Star Trek

The best for last my friends! Probably the only other show we were more loyal to growing up than X-Men, was Star Trek. While I've never made it to a Convention, or know more than basic Klingon or anything, the Anderson's are a bunch of Trekkies. I cannot even convey to you how good this movie is. I am a huge fan of J.J. Abrams who directed the movie, and he continues to prove his genius time and time again. If you are a fan of the original series, you will just not even believe the casting and the writing. I can't even find words to describe it. They have their older characters down to a science. I had to physically restrain myself from standing up at times and saying things like: "Yes!! Oh my heck, yes, that is (fill in character's name here) exactly!"
The writing was perfect, the story was incredible and fun, visually stunning, and the actors were, in a word, amazing. I am trying very hard not to oversell it here, but probably failing miserably. Hands down my favorite movie so far this year. If I was a total geek I'd say something right now like: Set a course for this movie. Warp Speed.
But of course I won't. I mean, how lame right??....(Um, Engage...hehe..)
Mom gives it:





Caroline gives it:





I give it:






On deck: Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, Night At the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian, The Soloist.
9 comments:
you have made up my mind, I need to go see Star Trek...you hardly ever give anything 5 HUGHES!?
Thanks for letting me be one of the guest reviewers! BTW, loving the pic of LMM!! Where do you find these things??
Dang girl, when did you get the time to see these? Thanks for the reviews. My hope is renewed in Wolverine.
I love these posts!! You make me laugh!
Hilarious reviews,mel. I would have kept you company during X Men, LOVE IT. I wonder if being a geek is genetic? (no offense mom and dad.)
Your husband won't even go see XMEN with you? weird. I think that might be the only way I could get my husband to go anywhere with me...wish me luck on that.
Ok, I saw Ghost of Girlfriends Past last night and laughed and cried so I think that means it was good...or I was just an emotial wreck. 17 again was packed last night with like 17 billion 17 year olds so I was glad we didn't see that for that reason, but I guess I will go see it during the day before the 17 yr olds get out of school ;)
I love your reviews, now I know that I can go see 17 again, sweet! Of course I would see Wolverine because I love Hugh no matter what I see him in. yum!
Um, if you have seen any preview of Ghost of Girlfriends past... You've seen the movie. LOVED Xmen. Love Hugh! No, really. I love him. Yeah... and he smells exactly how you think he would. AMAZING. And no, I was not stalking him... really. Just the right place at the right time.
There are so many movies I want to see that are out right now. Star Trek happens to be one of them - at the top of the list (can't wait - love it), as well as the Wolverine movie. 17 again was a great movie. I'd totally see it again. Love the reviews...thank you.
Went to see Ghost of Girlfriends Past last week...it's OK. Nothing as great as the previews would lead you to believe, but you get a few good laughs. I am really hoping Museum is as good as the first!
Post a Comment