
No offense Master Yoda, but you are three feet tall, wear the same tattered smock day in and day out and live in a tree. You have a lot less to fear. My laundry load on the other hand...extremely scary. What's even scarier is that I spent more than six hours the other day doing nothing but folding laundry, and there was a new batch in the dryer this morning. I'm convinced we don't even own that many clothes. I think the laundry is now growing itself.
It's like those ridiculous trick birthday candles we always buy. After about the fourth time the flames come back, the jokes over, the birthday person is annoyed, and you're ready to just dump the cake in the sink.
Between never ending laundry or having to pull a star ship out of a swamp with my mind, I'd take the ship any day of the week. I'm sorry, what was that?...My geek is showing? Yeah, well, whatever.
Life in general has been a bit nuts lately which in turn has affected my blogging. Yet another thing to fear. As the days pass without a suitable update, I praise the invention of Caller ID. A week with no new post and I decline all incoming calls that say "Mom." She reminds me of Mike Meyers in that old SNL skit; Coffee Talk with Linda Richman?
"What? You're still not posting? Why not, you don't love your mother? You're out of topics? It's not that difficult. Here: the peanut is neither a pea nor a nut. Discuss."
Fear has also taken the form of my twenty month old who no longer naps, has become a finicky eater,(I resorted shamefully to feeding him a pudding Snack Pack for breakfast the other day) and has figured out in quick order, how to take off the doorknob protectors. He has been getting into everything. The laundry room, the pantry (for the sole purpose of either getting into food, or throwing food in the trashcan.) Closets, bedrooms and his own personal favorite, the bathrooms. He is drawn to the toilet and has determined that any consequence coming to him will be totally and utterly worth the two minutes of playing in it until I discover him.
Between never ending laundry or having to pull a star ship out of a swamp with my mind, I'd take the ship any day of the week. I'm sorry, what was that?...My geek is showing? Yeah, well, whatever.
Life in general has been a bit nuts lately which in turn has affected my blogging. Yet another thing to fear. As the days pass without a suitable update, I praise the invention of Caller ID. A week with no new post and I decline all incoming calls that say "Mom." She reminds me of Mike Meyers in that old SNL skit; Coffee Talk with Linda Richman?
"What? You're still not posting? Why not, you don't love your mother? You're out of topics? It's not that difficult. Here: the peanut is neither a pea nor a nut. Discuss."
Fear has also taken the form of my twenty month old who no longer naps, has become a finicky eater,(I resorted shamefully to feeding him a pudding Snack Pack for breakfast the other day) and has figured out in quick order, how to take off the doorknob protectors. He has been getting into everything. The laundry room, the pantry (for the sole purpose of either getting into food, or throwing food in the trashcan.) Closets, bedrooms and his own personal favorite, the bathrooms. He is drawn to the toilet and has determined that any consequence coming to him will be totally and utterly worth the two minutes of playing in it until I discover him.
We thought we were pretty clever for about twenty minutes after we installed the doorknob protectors. He couldn't get into anything, and was just going from door to door with this panicked and bewildered expression on his face. In my most loving and motherly manner I said, "Take that, punk."
He responded by figuring out how to take them off in no longer than half an hour. Sometimes, he just walks up to one, takes it off, throws it on the floor and walks away. I believe it to be the toddler equivalent of, "Who's the punk now?" Touche, Drew, Touche.

I suppose while I'm hanging out in Parent Rehab over here, it couldn't hurt to mention that we are also having an endless struggle with bedtime. It's kind of turning into the Taylor Bedtime Lottery. Some nights my firm no nonsense tone gets all four into bed with that small hint of fear in their eyes I so diligently work for. Other nights I pull my Sergent routine around 8:30 and it's all:
I suppose while I'm hanging out in Parent Rehab over here, it couldn't hurt to mention that we are also having an endless struggle with bedtime. It's kind of turning into the Taylor Bedtime Lottery. Some nights my firm no nonsense tone gets all four into bed with that small hint of fear in their eyes I so diligently work for. Other nights I pull my Sergent routine around 8:30 and it's all:
Hannah: Who is this clown?
Justin: I don't know, but she's blocking the TV.
Jackson: Can I have cake?
One night, I came across this scene in the office. I'm not sure, but if I had to guess, we could be doing better.
Let's see, what else? Did I mention that I'm training for a Half Marathon in like three weeks, (cannot wait for CA!) followed a week later by knee surgery? I'm also the YW Camp Director for my ward, along with Assistant Activity Days leader, Justin is in football, Jackson doesn't understand why he is not automatically in Kindergarten now that he is five, my brother is getting married in July, I started a Story blog, and oh, did I mention Drew doesn't NAP anymore??
I think about this time, Master Yoda would instruct,"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will." Hmmm...true, true...but at this point, I'm thinking if the Death Star is quiet and equipped with toddler proof bathrooms, I'm in.
I best go for now. I think I hear the laundry forming a Union.
15 comments:
I tell you what, This post right here is going to help in my case of putting Beckett in Preschool for the Fall...Our pedis cannot come at a more better time, just name the time & place!
2 gems from Jackson during Carpool this morning:
1)Aiden: Jackson, I got a new video game from the easter bunny!
Jackson(in his best BET impression): Oh NO, you DI-N'T..
2)'Hey Beth, I got to sleep on the floor last night'
All I can say Mel, is the floor is a step up from Aiden's new bed: The Coffee Table!
Much Love!
Oh Melanie ... my mom and I love reading your blog. I love the interpretation of your kids' thoughts. Gold.
OI!! The joys of kids, eh? Yes I have a hard time with putting a 2 year old to bed. (not to mention that he has discovered the word "NO!" And a tantrum.) Ah, yes. I guess I shouldn't conplain too loudly, however! I do get a pay check at the end of the week. and then, on a child free weekend, I spend thus said paycheck.
You're cute, and I like you.
OH!! and camp director?? UM make sure that the YCL's don't have bats and racoons in thier cabins. I hear that about 13 years ago, there were some that did in Indiana. Not good...
Mel, I have not been blogging forever and I am so glad to read this post. It reminds me how much I enjoy your blog and your sense of humor! I can sympathize with you and the craziness that is going on. I feel that the dark side is about to take me over! Thank heavens for trips away, counting down to Hawaii and when is our Habachi night? We all need it!!!!
Hey Melanie, change his breakfast from a pudding snack to a hard boiled egg and a bottle of Coke. That truly is the breakfast of champions and he will shape up. Hang in there!
The picture of Drew is PRICELESS!!!! My life would be so much less amusing if I didn't have your blogs about your kids to read!!!
LOVE the picture of Hannah. Send me a copy. And Drew has mischief all over his face. Funniest blog ever-so true to life it makes you laugh/cry.
PS-umm, you told me you didn't answer your phone cuz you were in the Library and they didn't allow cell phones to be on. Not true???
I love you Mel, and I am so bad I haven't had the chance to read the story blog... I will soon though! Give those kids a big hug for me, I can't wait to see them!
well girl life seems to have overwhlemed you...maybe the story bog, the new jewlery gig, running, directoring, knee stress, life in general, and of course you throw in a non-napping kid who is into everything so therefore you get nothing accomplished...or you do but then have to clean up the mess you find afterward!
BUT...you are still strong with the force though, i can feel it. and are definitely still good at making me laugh. thanks for keeping it real girlfriend. love ya and miss ya.
HaHa, cracking up, don't even know where to start!! You are just too funny, my friend!
Love your Stella Button!
PS: Update the Story Blog.......
Yoda is offended! Many more affronts and you will end up on the DARK SIDE!
HILARIOUS!!!!!
Oh Mel, I love you! I think my laundry must be in on it with your laundry. I think they have plans to take over the world. They definitely multiply in the hampers. I'm totally convinced.
You are so not alone! Simon doesn't nap much these days either. And, when he does, he won't go to bed at night 'til super late. What's up with that?
Thanks for the laughs. I so love reading all the cleverness you pour into each post.
And, I'm thinking we need a night out. ASAP!
Oh, and, by the way, I love your new blog heading! The surf boards and everything...it looks great!
Post a Comment