Monday, November 17, 2008

Upgrade Shmupgrade

As a kid I can remember my mom saying, "Don't say hate. Hate is such a strong word. Say you dislike it or you really don't care for something."

So, that being said, I would like to say that I really dislike and do not care for the invention of the DVD.

Yes, I said it. It was a horrible horrible decision and the makers of said item should be lined up and given wet willies followed by Atomic Wedgies.
What was wrong with the VHS tape? True it was bigger, could act as an impromptu door stop and only came in black, but unless you were really trying, it was virtually indestructible.

DVD's? Not so much. The section labeled "Kid DVD's" seems a bit ironic to me. There is no such thing as a "kid friendly" DVD.

I still own video tapes that I believe my ancestors brought over from the Old World. Ask me how many DVD's I own that are more than 2 years old that have not been accidentally stepped on, scratched, or survived apple juice spillage. I think you can surmise the answer from the amount of animosity that I'm putting out there.

I recently bought 2 DVD's that already came scratched. Eternally frustrating. Would have been nice to see them at least once before they ended up in the DVD graveyard.

Or my personal favorite: Buying DVD's for the car. Brilliant idea, especially for a 20 hour road trip to Utah. From Amarillo to Moab the most common phrase heard is: "Ma-hom, it's skipping again, can you fix it?"

And what drives me even more crazy is that I am held in a DVD prison. No clunky, kid proof tapes to be found anymore. Except maybe on Ebay and I think you have to search antiques/relics.

I'm not against technological advancements, just please advance my life for the better. Leave the flimsy glass information disks to those who can appreciate them. Probably people who keep really great track of stuff or don't drink massive quantities of sticky apple juice.

Like Microsoft or the CIA or something.

4 comments:

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

I am so excited there is someone else out there that owns a VCR! That is all Aiden can get @ the library...and you can BUY VHS from the library for like $1 a movie! But, I am right there with you...that's why we don't particularly LOVE buying DVDs anymore, they just end up being ruined! Let me put this out there: (rhett will LOVE me for this one) We all need to invest in the media centers...the computers that hook up to your tv, they act as Tivos and store ALL your movies, pictures, songs, you name it! Plus, as your watching a Gerard Butler movie, you can be writing in a different screen and minimize simultaneously...your welcome...

Gillian said...

My parents actually still have their beta-max player and videos---they don't succomb to peer pressure (unfortunately).
I was just thinking this same thing about these worthless, ultra fragile disks.
I still have a couple v.c.r's too, and a collection of hardy videos---especially since I'm ashamed to admit how much I spent on the ENTIRE set of Living Scriptures videos when my I had my first baby and it was oh so necessary that she become a gospel scholar. (That guy was SUCH a good salesman).

Buppa H said...

I had a friend who was down on the word "hate" too. He claimed the Bible prohibits its use. But I don't see anything in there about "despise." So, I think that word is fair game.

Unknown said...

Our VCR still gets about 40% of the use compared to the dvd. Library kids section is free and 90% of them are VHS, which I would have to agree is less destructable...way less destructable.