Monday, November 17, 2008

A New "Low" in Parenting

"Pride cometh before the fall" is rapidly becoming my favorite parenting slogan. I am slowing learning to stop being so quick to pat myself on the back to reassure myself that I am doing well. The minute I do, I am always humbled beyond belief.I start to see Jackson clean up after himself, doing all sorts of Drew errands up and down the stairs without complaint, saying a family prayer that doesn't include blessing all of his video games...that sort of thing.

Mental high five Mom you are NOT a total screw up!

Then you'll be driving around all innocently, doing errands, zoning out in your own little mom world: "Maybe I could procrastinate the grocery shopping till tomorrow? We still have crackers, lunch meat and cheez whiz..."You suddenly realize that not only is the radio playing a low bar rap song, but your 4 year old is singing all the words.

Low (Rmx) - Flo Rida Feat. T Pain

Oi Vey. I need to be more aware of what is playing in the car since apparently my children are sponges and I can only pray they have no idea what they are singing along with. We had a similar humbling when Justin was about 3 and suddenly realized he was in the backseat rapping Big Pimpin. So back to the parenting drawing board.

On the Parenting Agenda for next week: Why we don't open a shook up rootbeer right next to a stranger's laptop.

8 comments:

Xela said...

CONFESSION...Elena was singing this song the other day in the car as well. It is a fine line from being a "cool mom" and "responsible mom". I am pretty sure she didn't know what she was singing she just liked the Low, Low part. But I had the same thought. HELP! :)

texaswilliams said...

Welcome Home Girl!!

Lauren said...

My own confession...I've never heard this song before. Guess I'm not very cool, eh? I am so totally out of it when it comes to music right now it's sad. My kids love singing along with the Beatles and the Kingston Trio and other such classics. It's great!

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

Ok, Lo...very cool, yet SAD at the same time!

My favorite is Aiden's rendition of 'li-li-li-li-lick it like a lolipop'

You know you've failed when your son requests 'Pop, Lock, & Drop It' For FHE, instead of Popcorn Popping...Time to pop in the primary cd's...

The Holcombs said...

Um yeah, Jaden has sung to this song too (nice he's 2). Low low low. oops, see you are not the only one who isn't paying attention when driving. It's usually when I am on the phone and not paying enough attention. Oh well, could be worse...right?!

Anonymous said...

Remember Michael acting out Sandlot when he was Jacksons age and saying the words oh s@#*$ in slow motion just like the movie? AND remember Daniel saying the same word while he was playing Mario Brothers at the same age- he had heard our neighbor say it while SHE was playing Mario brothers with the kids! That's mother of the year when my friends are a bad influence on my children!!

Unknown said...

Haven't reached that LOW yet...but I am sure it is coming. Other lows can definitely be counted off. It is really just all about making the highs outweigh the lows right?

Amy C said...

Kitty and I dance to this all the time! We go low low low to the ground.

Is Shelly naughty?? What's she doing?? Am I old?? I have boots with the fuuuurrrrrr...(and the big booty)