Saturday, November 22, 2008

Twilight Movie Review

If you did not put on your best Team Edward apparel, drink your Rockstar and get strange looks from your husband as you prepared for the midnight showing of Twilight and would consequently not like to hear a review of it yet, please feel free to look away.

I'm not really sure where to begin with this review because the movie has left me a little speechless. Not in a bad way, but not in an overly good way. Let's start with what I did like:

What I liked:

Bella's friends: This was such an unexpected surprise. These were excellently cast and acted well! Which is noteworthy since the same couldn't always be said about other characters.

Charlie: He was a delight. Really well cast, was a good actor and always made whatever scene he was in better because he seemed to know what he was doing.

Edward and Bella: Edward defiantly had the "I want your blood but I don't want to kill you" look mastered. He kind of took that look and ran with it the rest of the movie and sometimes it really worked. Bella as well had her moments of brilliance and acted and reacted like the Bella from the books.

What I didn't like:

1. Jasper. I'm not sure who his acting coach was, but they should be fired. I mean, the poor guy is supposed to portray to some degree that he still has a hard time being around humans, as he is newly "vegetarian." I think that was the mood and look he was going for, but to me he resembled what my kids look like a few days after Halloween with a diet of pure sugar and no fiber. It was odd and distracting and you just wanted him to blink...or grab a piece of fruit.

2. Bella. She was decent, and many times believable as Bella. But at times she seemed like she was trying to get through the dialogue because she had something better to do after filming the scene or something. She didn't do anything to draw you in and want to cheer for her. It was just adding fuel to my fire that I should have been involved in the casting decisions with the movie. The producers only have themselves to blame for not responding to my emails.

3. Edward. (So I can avoid nasty emails, just remember that this is the "what i didn't like" category) He had elements of the Edward character but not the ones that made me read those books till 2 in the morning. I mean, remember the scene in the book where she wakes up the next morning after their "date" in the meadow and she comes back into the room after getting ready and he is sitting in the rocking chair and just instantly holds his arms out for her? I mean, Remember?! (Kay, my heart melted, but I'm back now.)
Or just their banter back and forth as their relationship progressed..that suave, effortless Edward was what we fell in love with, and sadly, in Robert's performance, it wasn't really there. And come on, only 2 kissing scenes?!? Who would ever have thought I'd have to get after the movie industry for LACK of love scenes. I'm not asking for anything scandalous for sure but come one people! All they ever do in the books is kiss and we're not prudes!

Overall I will tell you that I liked it. I will even confess that I went back with Raleen to the 10pm show on Friday (Oh, don't you judge me! like you've never done anything crazy and ridiculous!) and I liked it alot better the second time because I went in with ZERO expectations and could just appreciate it for what it was: One of my favorite books come to life. I just heard that New Moon officially got picked up by Summit Entertainment, so hopefully the actors will have matured and experienced a bit by then.

Bottom line? If you are a fan, go see it and take it for what it's worth. And then come home and reread your favorite parts to remind yourself why you fell in love with it in the first place.




7 comments:

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

Great Review! I'm in total agreement with MOST of it! I CAN'T WAIT TO GO back & watch it again (without the giggling teenagers) ! BTW, where are my 3 hughes I was promised? You were not too hard on this at all!

Anonymous said...

I have heard about the same reviews from others, so I am sure the movie is what you say, (yes, I am the one in America who hasn't seen it. Believe it or not, DAD keeps saying we should go see it.) BUT-you reviewing twilight is a bit like Eric reviewing Harry Potter Movies. Your heart belongs to the book. Hopefully though, the new film company will recast at least Edward??? Who would you pick?

Melanie said...

Henry Cavil was my top pick, but you'd have to google him by images to see what i mean. the movies he's been in don't portray him in an Edward-like light. dad wants to see twilight?? wonders never cease..

Lauren said...

We had such a great time all going together! So fun! I loved the experienced and quite liked the movie...I'll have to blog about that (once I catch up on everything else). I'd like to see it a second time. Maybe we could all go again (a third time for you). :)

Lindsay said...

yea, what was up with the two kissing scenes. i wanted to yell out, "kiss her already!" overall, i liked it but the acting was definitely second rate.

Mandy H said...

Glad we could all go as a group, it was fun but i would love to see it without the crazy teens.

By the way, you are looking fabulous!

stina said...

Is it too late to respond to this post? I finally went to go see it tonight. Overall, I liked it. My biggest disappointment was that they seemed to cram the restaurant /car ride/ meadow into a very short segment of the movie, and I didn't feel like it carried the right tone and information to really show the core relationship between them. The meadow was supposed to be a magical moment between them, not a "Look I'm a glowing monster" thing. Sorry, I'm still caught up in all the details that were too changed. Still fun and many elements were preserved. How many times have you seen it now? And have you reread it since then??