
So here's the deal. I like to write. You may have gathered that. Most likely you've just gathered that Melanie likes to shoot off at the mouth about whatever pops into her brain. I'm fine with either conclusion because they're both true and in any event, are the reasons I have really gotten serious about writing in the last 6 months.
A little back history that dates back to Elementary School Melanie is that I knew I wanted to be a writer as far back as the fourth grade. With the help of my mainly useless, long term memory super power, I remember the exact moment.
It was the fourth grade and Mrs. Snyder was reading us Charlotte's Web, a chapter a day. After we finished the book, she encouraged us to write a short story to share with the class. Maybe there's Kryptonite somewhere in my office because the memory is fuzzy, but all I know is that my story revolved around a frog, I loved writing it, and read it over and over, thinking it was the most incredible story about a frog that was ever written.
I think the idea of being a writer was solidified when I read my story in front of the class, got praise and encouragement for it, and realized I loved the adoration and it being all about me, glorious me!!!
Wait, what was I talking about again, oh yeah...
Fast forward to the 6th grade and in my hot pink spiral Mead notebook I wrote my first "book." The plot revolved around a boy who kept getting strange dreams about one of his ancestors. Later, through some time space continuum, this ancestor appears to him and tells him she was murdered and that somehow her murder will affect their family for years to come unless he time travels back and stops it.
I know, sounds a bit like Back to The Future, but hey, I was 12.
What I do remember is my Language Arts teacher Mr. Rosetti. When he discovered that I was scribbling in my hot pink notebook when I should have been doing classwork, he had me read a chapter a day to the class as way of encouragement.
Yes! The spotlight!
(And aren't teachers like that A-mazing??)
I won't bore you with the rest of my writing career because at nearly 31, I understand it's actually not all about me. Well, to a better degree at least.
The short story is I wrote another "manuscript" in high school, got great teaching and guidance from Creative Writing and Literature teachers who took an interest, only to put my writing on the shelf a few years later. I won't wax philosophical on you right now, but why do we do that as adults? Don't believe in the things we want to do like we did unquestionably when we were young? It's interesting and maybe a topic for another time.
Fast forward 13 years and I've decided to take the writing skills off the proverbial shelf. I'm still sneezing and coughing from the amount of dust, but beginning to find my enthusiasm and love for it again.
You may ask, "But Mel, you are an enormous procrastinator, with 4 kids, who loves to waste massive amounts of time with reading and watching TV. How in the world are you going to write a novel?"
Excellent question.
Drive myself with the fear of humiliation. It's usually the best motivator for me. I mean come on, how else do you think I'm running a marathon?
So stage one of Plan Ridicule was signing up for a contest where I'm supposed to submit 50,000 words by Nov 30th.
Stage 2 is blogging about it to all of you so that you can help keep me accountable, and laugh mercilessly at me if I fail.
No seriously, that will help.
So I'll get to writing-you get your best jeers and insults ready and mark them down for the 30th, and I think together we'll make a great team.
15 comments:
Hurray for you Mel! I think you are an amazing writer, I love reading your blog and I laugh so much it hurts! You inspire me to do things I have long put away and have forgotten about...count me as one of the first to buy your book and of course be at the midnight signing :) Hey if "sister meyer" (as beth calls her) can do it so can you! find your own Edward and run with it! BTW how can we almost be 31? Weren't we just planning our BIG 3-0 parties? I guess we will have a big 3-1 party!!!!
lol, i know, when i realized i'm going to be 31 in a few months, it dawned on me how long i dragged out my 30th birthday celeration!! thanks for your support girl!
where can I order my copy?... I'm already looking forward to reading it!!!
OMG! So glad you are dusting off the fingers! I would like a copy too and am so bloghind you all the way! You are amazing and witty and I think you should start looking for a mommy blogging site you get paid for...or at least get free stuff like my friend. I will try and hook you up. Love you!
I'm glad you've let the secret out about writing again! Please give us NYC gals the credit, since we had our dream-planning lunch @ Planet Hollywood! I CAN NOT wait to start reading the manuscripts you put out! BTW, can we say ix-nay on the whole marathon thing now, so you can concentrate on the writing thing? I think I would benefit much more from your stories than from driving behind you to make sure you don't get attacked...thanks...
Thats awesome!! You will write a terrific book, I can't wait to read it. That takes guts, I could never do it (first of all because I can't write and second because I wouldn't dare put myself out there like that!!)
nikki, well, i know, but trying to not look like an idiot is how i get alot done!
beth, of course i have to still run the marathon. being impractical and having way too much on my plate is the only way i know how to do things!! you know this...
Mel, you inspire me! That is totally awesome! I used to have a similar dream (involving children's books). That would be so awesome! Sign me up for a copy of your book. Oh, and by the way, I don't want to brag, but I seem to have a knack for editing. I can't believe all the mistakes I find in published books! ALL THE TIME! So, it must jump out at me. So, there, I plugged myself to be your very own editor. One of them anyway. That means I get dibs on first copies (uh, IF you think I could help). :) You rock!
you're hired! i should warn you, my mistakes will keep you very busy!! also, my friends are way supportive...you are thinking up good insults as well right??!
Mel, i think that's really great!! what's the topic?
i have characters who i love, but the plot's still under development, even though i have a rough draft of a prologue. i'll show you what i have at christmas.
Barnes & Noble Midnight Melanie Party here we come!!!
Oh my gosh! I'm so excited. Glad you are taking all of our advice. Keep me updated. Can't wait to read it!
And now I found YOU! Absolutely love your blog---I could read it for hours. (And probably will) You're a natural writer---good luck with this project. I'm inspired---and oh so curious! Can't wait to read more....
That's awesome, what a creative mind. If a book about vampires can be so successful I'm sure you can do it too.
Post a Comment