Who could have known that a show conceived in the early 90's, where more than one actor sported a mullet would be the show that would survive the test of time.
I faithfully watched Full House for TV's TGIF. As the oldest child, I of course related full heartily to DJ and wanted to be just like her, right down to her fluffy bangs and permed hair. I found Joey hysterical, had a crush on Jessie, and loved how Father Danny always had the heartfelt solutions to whatever crisis the Tanner's were facing.
Fast forward almost 20 years and lo and behold, I'm watching every episode again, only this time because it turns out my posterity are huge fans.
I can still remember Hannah's freak out when I showed her "Michelle" in a magazine as two very grown up Olsen twins. The fact that this show took place when I was a kid, only weirded them out further since it went against their firm theory that I was just born a mom.
If it were up to me, my kids would watch more of the shows I watched growing up. TV for kids now is, well, weird. I won't say that as a blanket statement, being as there are in fact shows like, Jimmy Neutron, Spongebob, and Recess that I can actually sit and enjoy with them without having to massage my temples repeatedly.
Beyond that the rest is a melting pot of goo. Shows like Chowder, Wow Wow Wubsy, and Yo Gaba Gaba. I don't wonder anymore where the druggie drop outs from my high school ended up. Apparently they create children's shows.
I tried a few years ago to get my kids into Smurfs. I tivoed it on the Boomerang channel that showed "old school" cartoons and even ordered the complete Smurf family off Ebay to no avail.
I had the best cartoons as a kid. He-Man, She-Ra: Princess of Power, Jem and the Holograms, (they were truly truly outrageous...), Transformers, Thundercats.
Aww, Thundercats...anyone 28 and over will understand. I actually saw a Thundercats belt buckle for sale on the street in NY and had to convince myself I'd never wear it. Would I? No. But I could...No. People might think it was funny...No. Maybe just around the house?...Seriously, if you do, I will disown you as your conscience.
There was just an innocence to shows back in the day. Somehow we got from eating cereal in P.J's sitting in front of X-Men, to 12 channels of kids cartoons that you have to 1-check the rating to make sure it's appropriate, and 2-sit through trippy shows like My Life as a Teenage Robot.
Maybe I'm the odd ball out, but I just don't get it.
If I had my wish, I'd have loved it if shows like Mork and Mindy or Bosom Buddies had survived; but I guess it's Full House that somehow continues to live on for future generations, and dispense their 30 minutes of gooey goodness for my children and my children's children...but what can I say, it warms my heart a little:) Mullets and all.
12 comments:
i was just lamenting the other day that i don't think my kids will ever see I Love Lucy. and oh how i loved that show. :(
full house, too. i was right there with you for TGIF! oh so good.
jem! she was my favorite. i had star earrings in every color of the rainbow and i would often pretend to do the whole hologram thing. btw, thanks for the jack mannequin recommendation, love it!
i know, isn't that just sad that our kids don't know lucy?? and lindsay, i played jem like other girls played dolls! so glad you liked the song...have you heard his other stuff? Dark Blue and Rescued are 2 of my favs.
I am trying to convince Ashley we need the complete collection of the Cosby Show. Cliff's outrageous dances and love of jazz music and sandwiches are timeless classics.
And that belt buckle would have been an instant ice-breaker - an immediate "in."
full house was definitely my favorite, and yes i do watch it occasionaly with my kids on saturday morning. It cracks me up how in EVERY single episode you can cue the sappy music in the last five minutes of the show. they talk about what lesson has been learned in that particular episode and then they all hug. i don't think there is a full house episode without that type of ending. gotta love it.
I'm sorry, but Michelle getting amnesia from her horse-riding accident is the MOST memorable episode!
I am right there with you on the shows like Chowder and Wow Wow Wubbzy! I wish we could just get rid of Cartoon Network which has all those shows on it, but then we would miss early morning Transformers, Looney Tunes, The Mr. Men Show, and Tom & Jerry...
Aiden is YOUR child out of my body...he LOVES thundercats! My bil had the whole set on DVD, and Aiden would sit in front of that show for hours!! I didn't even see the belt buckle, or else I would have talked you into doing a timeshare on it!
Oh the early 90's were good times! Loved all the shows and of course TGIF! My kids have not yet discovered Full House, but they are horrified at the fact that when I was a kid the only time we could watch cartoons was on Saturday Mornings....no cartoon network, no nick jr, etc. They would probably die if I tried to get them to watch mork and mindy or bosom buddies (great shows by the way) all they want to watch is icarly and drake and josh (YUCK).
If I were you, I'd be looking for the Thundercats belt buckle on Ebay!
So funny you mentioned Jem, my friend just posted Jem's theme song from YouTube on her blog!! Good times :o)
GEEKBURGER!!
Facts of Life, Smurfs, What about Inspector Gadget? I loved that show.
OK, now for a 90s show: I LOVE Lois and Clark. Everyone thinks I am a total dork when I tell them, but I bought every single one and watched them all last year. Great times!
LOVE the Full House show and was so into with my sisters. Don't really see re-runs much without cable, but my kids survive on pbs cartoons and i would have to say they are pretty great. Only a few weird ones and I seem to work our TV schedule accordingly! ;)
I was all about Brady Bunch reruns when I was a kiddo. I gave it quite the Brady Effort to get my kids into Marsha and the gang, but Uncle Jesse and Michelle were too powerful a rival. May May loved Smurfs for a long time, though. At least there's that.
Post a Comment