Thursday, September 11, 2008

What We Remember and What We Shouldn't Forget

(make sure sound is turned up)

In putting this together today I couldn't help recalling the things that I remembered distinctly about that day. I remember where I was and that I was eating breakfast and helping Justin with his cartoons before I got the call to turn my TV to the news. I remember I had a dentist appointment that same day and the stunned expression on people's faces in their cars as we all drove. I remember being scared that my dad was in Chicago, and that my brother was in Guam waiting to come home from his mission the next day. I remember watching the coverage with my mom and noticing before the newscasters that the towers were falling. That there were 2 other planes unaccounted for. I remember I wanted nothing more than for my family to be under one roof for an indefinite amount of time. I remember how grateful I felt towards our President who was weathering this crisis right along with the American people and wanted his family to be as safe as we wanted ours. What I want to remember most are the things that I promised myself would change because of that day. I wanted to be a better mother and wife. I wanted to be more patient and take joy in the small things. I wanted to live my life more closely to the Gospel principals I knew to be true and be a better missionary. And mostly I was grateful for my faith in God and my knowledge that He is in charge. That no matter how much evil reigns on the earth, that His power is stronger and that with that knowledge, we cannot fail. I hope we all take some time today to remember what we said we would never forget.

6 comments:

The Sandoval Family said...

I'm speechless after watching the video and reading your words. Thank you for reminding me of all the similiar promises I made to myself that day.

Lindsay said...

that was such a powerful video. even though it was a life-changing event, it's so easy to forget about in our every day lives. thanks for the reminder.

Lauren said...

I love your slide show, and your word Mel. Thank you.

Alan said...

Great slide show. Like Lindsay said, it is very easy to forget how life changing that day in 2001 was. Its good to remind ourselves of it from time to time.

JenJ said...

I don't want to ever forget. I shed some tears on this day and talked to my kids about some of the heros during that time. I will never forget all the prayers and how all of a sudden it was OK to believe in God again and to talk about prayer in public. I loved all the flags on every car, on every house. And one important thing I learned: that peace is in your heart and not necessarily as a result of what is happenning around you or to you.

Amy C said...

Melanie,

Somehow I missed this post, but saw it just now by accident. My gosh, your video was moving. I've bawled all the way through. Thank you. It was beautiful, Mel.