Sunday, August 17, 2008

"I say Lightening, U-sain Bolt"

You know when your family gets sick and sometimes you manage to take care of everyone unscathed, while other times just as the last person perks up, you break out into a cold sweat?But of course you know you're on your own because all the patients you nursed to health are off enjoying being well again. The sickness this time around I'm happy to report was a healthy dose of Olympic Fever. A fever I'll admit I did not share at first. I don't really know why exactly, I just didn't. Justin and Rhett were so excited for the USA basketball team you'd have thought they were in charge of the scouting for it or something. Thankfully it's summer because Rhett and the kids stay up till all hours watching the events. I took the opportunity to sneak off to bed with my book happy for the quiet. I'd of course get pleas for me to come watch with them and I did at first to humor their excitement. But like anything contagious I soon found myself exhibiting symptoms: sitting a little longer cuz I wanted to, started picking up names here and there, and of course had to see what everyone was talking about with the Chinese teenage gymnasts who looked like children talk.
It took a bit, but I'm fully engrossed, and now don't know how I went days without following athletes like Phelps or Bolt. But I suppose that is how a bandwagon works...Any favorite moments for anyone? I have to say, Phelps winning by 1/100th of a second about gave me an ulcer just watching it but was extremely cool; but do you get cooler than Usain Bolt, who, in slow motion we can see that while he is going about the business of being the world's fastest man, is somehow looking side to side! Does he think something more exciting might be going on and doesn't want to miss it?? In any event, here are some of the true blue fans trying to stay up to watch Phelps win his 8th gold medal. They almost made it.


7 comments:

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

yeah, no, you are not alone! That's why you haven't heard from us over here. . .between Sookie & Eric, Jason turning into a panther (thanks for the heads up by the way), and michael phelps!!! our week has been consumed! We are ALSO loving olympic basketball. That game against Spain the other day was incredible. . .ask Rhett what his thoughts on the cute little 17 yr.old Ricky who played for Spain!

Melanie said...

if i TELL you what happens in books, no one wins! it's for your own good. i asked rhett about "cute little ricky" and he said to tell you "yes, he was smokin hot!" lol, you two have lost me there!

Shelley said...

Yeah, I have started to get into the Phelps drama, but I didn't see track and field.

Xela said...

Hurray you finally caught the fever! I am both happy and sad that the olympics only have one more week. Sad that they will be over for another 4 years, happy because we can finally go to bed before midnight!

Amy C said...

So fun, I love the olympics. I've fell asleep in front of the tv a few times this summer!

Lindsay said...

i love reading your blog, you are hilarious! i'm totally with ya on the olympics. the only problem is i stay up so late watching it that i'm good for nothing the next day!

Sharlene Enloe said...

I admit that it took me a while to get the Olympic fever, but then I loved it. I'm sad they will be over soon.