Monday, August 11, 2008

Breaking Dawn Review--Spoiler Alert!! (Do not read if you have not read the 4th book.)


Breaking Dawn. Where do I start? The first 3 books in the series I read one after the other not knowing at the time that I would then have to wait a year for the final book. I went through a "serious" book depression for about 4 months. I didn't want to read any other books because no matter what I picked up, it wasn't Forks, it wasn't the Cullens, and well, let's just be real, it wasn't Edward. A year later I find myself completely, 100% thrilled and satisfied with how the Twilight Saga played out and wrapped up. My only problem is that I find myself in another book depression, but that is my own weird book lover problem that I'm dealing with.

The people on the Internet are crazy. That is all I can come up with. I have been reading mixed reviews on the book and I am dumbfounded. Every person I have talked to loves the book as much as I do. Which only adds weight to my "people on the internet are crazy" theroy. All I can think to ask to people who did not like it is, Have you read the other 3 books?? Everything that happened: Marriage, Renesme, Jacob imprinting, Bella being the hero, are all things she has been building up to with her other books. Edward proposed in New Moon! Were you just not paying attention or something? I loved the feel to this story. You could tell that the characters had all been through a lot, learned from past mistakes, and I felt Bella's and Edward's relationship had a more mature feel to it. I feel like Bella has been misunderstood in the past. Some people refer to her as "whiny" but I think she has just been trying to keep up with a world she knew nothing about, and love someone who was supposed to be impossible to love. The fact that she turned into a kick a@* vampire was only fitting since she has spent the last couple years getting beaten to a pulp, stalked, and constantly put on the sidelines while the big powerful vampires took care of everything. And still some critics say she shouldn't have gotten "everything" and to those people I say you are just crazy.

The name Renesme is growing on me even though I will say it was the one (and only) complaint I had about the entire book. It seemed an awkward name at first. But I LOVED that she and Edward get to be parents. That was a concern from most people; that her love for Edward would cost her the ability to have kids and I thought she did that in a really cool and unexpected way. I could tell that Stephenie Meyer never had any doubt of Bella's future, and I think she wrote accordingly. Jacob imprinting on Renesme was finally the understanding to the Bella/Jacob connection and I was so relived to finally have that realized and ended up really loving Jacob in a way I hadn't in other books. And can I just say to all the Jacob/Bella fans who are mad she didn't end up with Jacob: If you missed that this was clearly a love story between Bella and Edward, I just can't help you. I need to get a thesaurus because I have completely overused the word, but I LOVED this book and loved the whole series. Well done Meyer.

Okay, confession time...I love it, but I think YouTube was invented with the sole purpose to make me waste massive amounts of time. That being said, last year I found myself with 8 hours trapped upstairs with nothing but my laptop while wood floors were being installed downstairs. You can understand that I felt I had no choice but to put together a Twilight picture montage and post it on youtube. As excited as I am for the Twilight movie, I'm convinced that the casting director has not read the books. Not in love with the actors chosen, but they are growing on me. These are the characters pretty close to how I see them in my head. Anyways, just for fun.


10 comments:

Shelley said...

Hey Melanie,

After talking to you and about a million other family members at the reunion, I got our blogsite up and running, it still doesn't have my last name on it, but there are pictures. I love your site, your kids are so cute!!

I went to look at Stephanie & Ben's, but I couldn't get on. Oh well.

Love,
Shelley

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

All I can say is. . .AMEN! I agree with EVERYTHING you said. . .but I guess you already know that! I only THOUGHT I loved the characters until the 4th book, but they each totally exploded with growth and now they are like family to me! :) You see how Edward utterly, and unconditionally loves Bella without holding ANYTHING back! :) And you finally can relax and enjoy Jacob for what he is now that you know he isn't going to steal away Bella! And like I said, looking back that is why Jacob was always pulled toward Bella. . .little Renesme up in heaven wasn't letting him go. . .but that's just my molly mormon pov!!

Anonymous said...

I just started reading these about a week ago. I had been hearing so much about how great they are & was thinking nothing this hyped could be that good. Well, I literally ate through Twilight in a weekend...so yes, they are good!

I totally do not mind the spoiler of finding out what happens...I could see it coming anyways. I am just more interested to get the details now.

You video was hilarious...you are obsessed!!! I picture Edward looking more like a scruffy bad boy though...and more tawny golden...she does talk a lot about his copper hair. Your Bella is a good pick. Oh, and your pick your Emmett would not be mine...he's too scrawny...a bigger guy.

When the movie comes out we need to do a girl's night out!

Anonymous said...

P.S. My friend, Emily, thought Breaking Dawn got too freaky with a lot of details. She thought it was gory. Just wondering what your thoughts were on that. You can see her post off of "Emily Holbrook" link on my blog.

You know, because you don't have anything better to do than to go read my friend's blogs & comment on Breaking Dawn. :)

Melanie said...

Amy I'm so happy you have read and that you are a fan!! That is so interesting about the gore/violence take...i've heard conflicting reviews...some say it was too scary, some have said there wansn't enough violence. i thought some of the "freaky" stuff was some of the coolest stuff in the book. every book has had a distinct feel to it and this one was definatley the most intense. so you will have to let me know what you think of those elements because i personally thought they were really exciting.

Melanie said...

P.S. Beth, we are of the same mind! Looking forward to discussion at B.C...

stina said...

Melanie, your line about the Jacob/Bella fans is spot on. Jacob is a good guy and all, but come on people are you reading this story? I can't wrap my head around people continuing to root for Jacob.

And wow. I can't believe you made a video montage. You've really clarified the level of your obsession and I think you're extra cool because of it.

Melanie said...

i know, and it's always nerve racking to LET people know the level of obsession, but you are a great friend to find coolness in me despite it!!

Amy C said...

Just finished the book and your review is fantastic! I loved every bit of this book and you were totally right that I would love Jacob by the end of this book. The story unfolded exactly as I would have wished - better even! I didn't imagine a way for Bella to have a child or a way for Jacob to remain close to her. Love it!!

texaswilliams said...

AMEN Mel!! Why hasen't the casting director called you yet? Now that is the Edward that would make your heart stop!! Maybe YOU should contact the casting driector!!