Wednesday, July 2, 2008

White Girl Can't Dance

Do you ever remember seeing your parents dance and thinking: Oh please for the love of pete make it stop, make it stop right now. ?? When my dad would start to dance it would cause a fit of complete hysterics from us kids (and even Mom) but we sobered up real quick and added, "You wouldn't do that in front of anyone we know, right?" So it concerned me briefly that my kids seemed to have a similar reaction to my dancing. Hannah was the best at giving me a look somewhere between denial and horror when I would bust out my best moves to her Hannah Montana soundtrack. "You better be taking notes girlfriend," i say to her, "cuz your mama can dance!"
So, we're on vacation, but since there's no rest for the weary, and my gym is nearby,I've been taking a class everyday. Today was Dance Jam. Soooo excited for it. I don't care what my kids think. They wouldn't know awesome dancing if it smacked them in the face. I used to own the stake church dances growing up. In college, everyone knew apt 18 (that was us) would have random dance parties. Crank up the best of the 90's CD, open the doors and bust a move baby! Yeah, good times.
Just a few minutes into the class I felt like I had accidentially stumbled into a Beyonce video audition. You want me to do what, with my where now? I'm here to confess that 600 square feet of solid mirrors does not lie. The mirrors might have been helpful at those church dances. It was a tad humbling to watch me think I was getting my groove on. I kept thinking that at any moment a casting director was going to tap me on the shoulder with a grimmace on their face shaking their head no. I did realize that I have fun dancing, and that was what i globbed onto and had a blast during the class. It helped that the instructor was a total looney tune (no one should have that much energy at 6pm) and encouraged us to dance like no one was watching. And that I did. Although, I think I will mainly keep my dancing confined to getting a reaction out of my kids from now on. It seems like a legacy that must be passed down from one generation to the next. But now to be fair, I don't think I got a real chance to show what I could do. I mean, she didn't once ask for the Running Man. Seriously, what's up with that??

10 comments:

JM Inc. said...

Melanie, you are absolutely hillarious, and so remind me of myself. My BFF Elke and I dictated the party at our stake dances. Seems I've become more aware of the reality of my dance abilities in my older age too. But you know, I just throw caution to the wind and get my groove on in my Zumba classes. Fun still counts for something...even if I know I'm not as as hot as I once thought!

Unknown said...

I feel like that everyday at Zumba, but that's why I'm at Zumba and not on So you think you can dance? BTW I'm a big fan of your mom. I found you from somewhere in the LDS blogsphere. And yes you are absolutely hilarious.

Andy, Beth and Jennah, too! said...

Melanie, your a hoot! I could so picture Elaine from Sienfield... you go girl!!! Do what makes you feel good! I can't wait to meet you at the reunion... you guys are still going up to Washington, right?... also... how are Will & Jamie? When are they due, I'm always checking their blog for new news! :)

Lauren said...

Oh Mel, how I love reading your blog. You are so funny! I'm so proud of you for posting while on vacation. Impressive! I first thought, no, she's out of town, but decided to check anyway. Boy am I glad I did!

I love thinking of the "old-school" dance moves. I had the good fortune of having wall-to-wall, floor to ceiling, sliding closet doors that were mirrors. So, I could watch myself as I practiced the running man, roger rabbit and so on! :)

I'm sure you did great! I would have paid money to watch that class. Oh yeah, and get to participate too, of course.

Melanie said...

beth! yes, i will be there for the reunion, can't wait! BTW jamie is doing well. i think it will be within the next couple of weeks:)

Amy C said...

Where's the utube video to go along with this post??

Sharlene Enloe said...

You make me so happy! I really can't dance so I should take some classes too.

Andy Norman said...

I own the sprinkler. That's all I have to say. I rock the cabbage patch as well.
Debbie Gibson still rocks.

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

So jealous, since our dance jam was totally a watered down latin fusion with a couple grapevines. . .ugh! (<----shout out to bella!) um. . .what is this zumba thing, I feel like I'm missing out on some sort of trend! OK, I know you would be excited for this. . .guess what I found this weekend. . .SingStar 90's!!! I probably embarrassed Matt jumping up and down like that amidst all of those tweens. . .

Unknown said...

Oh Mel, you are WAY too funny. I guess I am chuckling so much b/c I am probably the same...I THINK I can dance...but probably not. I will be getting my GROOVE on at my party this weekend though...like it or not this girl is gonna jam! :) LOVE YA and wish you could be here!