Another staple, lunch at Grandma Madsen's.
Not spending one more dime on toys for this child. He spent a good portion of the time banging on this tin can and having the time of his life.
The legend continues... I'm suprised this picture turned out as I was laughing while taking it. At least once a year since I have known Rhett I have heard the story about Rhett and his cow counting ability from a young age. The story goes that Rhett was about 4 or 5 (although originally I thought it was about 6) Rhett and his grandpa would ride up and round up the cows on the mountain. Each cow has a number and there is some sort of system to it that even hearing it 12 times, I still don't fully understand. Somehow the calf's number corrleates to the mom cow...anywho...the legend (as I lovingly call it now) is that little Rhett astounded his grandpa by memorizing the numbers on the cow. He knew exactly which cow went with what parent and even when Grandpa Lyle thought Rhett must be wrong, he looked at his notebook and realized he was exactly right. Darling story and very impressive but not at all suprising. Rhett is one of those people who numbers come easy and is baffled by people like me who constanly ask questions like, "Now how many of this 1/4 cup do i need if i need 2/3's?" But as I have heard the story over the years it seems to take on a life of it's own. I think now, he was 3, rode the horse up without grandpa and had the numbers memorized of his own cows and those of a fellow rancher. I don't think Rhett minds the story. Whenever cows come up, (as they inevitably do in Vernal) Rhett will offhandley say, "Yeah, grandma, what was the story again of me counting the cows?"
I always feel domesticly-deficient whenever we go to Rhett's Grandma Taylor's house. There were 3 homemade pies ready for us along with at least 4 dozen homemade rolls. I always want to be better with this kind of stuff whenever I am there. But then I see all the work she does and it makes me tired just watching it. So instead I stuff myself with homemade pie and bread and I feel better.
I found out a few things about horses this time while visting Vernal. One of them being that I am actually afraid of them. And it was really annoying that I felt my horse knew I was afraid of it and was purposefully trying to get a rise out of me. I started to refer to it as the 'devil horse' and have since found it was one of the most calm ones. Pah! Hannah gets her natural ability with horses from her dad. She has explained, in a very rational way, that we could have a horse as a pet and keep it in the backyard if only her parents would let her.
Jackson got into the horses right away. While riding, he was humming the Indiana Jones theme music.
Love generation snapshots. Rhett's grandpa Lyle, Dad Brent and Jackson
How many adults does it take to take 6 kids up and around on horses? Not as many as you'd think! Towards the end we'd look around and realize most of the adults were in the house while the kids and a token big person were making the rounds with the horses! We always have a fun time, and just shows you can always go home again.
5 comments:
What was that about coming home?? You are coming home, right? I'm glad Hannah didn't break her arm this year! Love the Rhett story, I can totally picture him asking Grandma all nonchalant like to tell the story!
I'm so impressed you went to Vernal. Eric's parents live in Vernal and we hardly ever make it there. Sounds like it was a true Vernal experience.
I love vacationing in small towns! I am having almost parallel experiences here in Snowflake, and Aiden is also playing with all of our old school toys. . .'legos video games, what are those?. . .' music to my ears!
BTW, I got your text, but of course don't get great reception at all times during travelling. . .I'll be in Arizona until probably the first part of next week! We will definitely get back in the gym habit when we get back!
wow those rolls are making my mouth water! yummmmm!
Oh vacations back home are so fun! I love how grandparents have those few token stories (or legends ha!) and they tell them over and over again! Don't you think you could have a horse in that big back yard of yours? lol
Post a Comment