Thursday, July 17, 2008

Reality Check

How bad is TV right now?? Is it just me or is the tv lineup so painful it makes you want to like read a book or go excersize or something? And I'm all a fan of reality TV, but a quick look around and you realize it's ALL reality TV right now. Before it was like my treat, my guilty pleasure even. But spend enough days only eating pie and cookies and you start to get sick real fast. A little while ago I caught just a glimpse of a show called Celebrity Circus and it was so awful and vile I think I threw up in my mouth a little. It's like when the strike happened, TV execs started to go a little coo-coo. I think the general concensus was 2 main ideas: Find anyone doing anything remotely stupid and film it, or find some people in L.A. who will do something really stupid and slap the word "celebrity" in front of it.
I feel like marching into ABC headquarters and shouting, "Look! Look what you have made me do, I am watching the Mole! Yes, it's awful, lame, and has no point but I cling faithfully to every episdoe because there is nothing else on! Do you have no shame?? I know I no longer do."
What is saving my summer is So You Think You Can Dance, and just recently the return of Burn Notice, Monk and Psych. (On the USA Network, check your local listings).
In case you're worried, I do know there are more pressing problems going on in the world than the lack of respectable, engaging television, but I also know that it should be every person's right to get to 8:30 pm, serve up a reasonable size bowl of ice cream and veg out in front of the TV until finally all seems right with the world again. I suppose that's why I love fall so much. Cooler weather, leaves turning, and the sounds of the new fall tv lineup everywhere you look.

One of my favorite dances from SYTYCD. It loses some of it's effect on YouTube, but hey, what else you got to watch??

14 comments:

Jamie Anderson said...

Ha Ha funny I watch the Mole too! I wonder who the Mole is???

Anonymous said...

Try Big Brother 10...it's not too late to catch up (there's only been like 3 shows so far).

I think Mark is the mole...maybe Craig? I love that show.

Yeah, not a lot to look forward too...but I've been seeing previews for something about "Ex's" That chic from Grey's is in it...looks interesting. And, there's a few comedies that look promising.

Melanie said...

I think it's either Craig or Nicole. But I don't get it, what's the benefit of being the mole? Do they get money for doing it or what?

Jamie Anderson said...

Yes The Mole is being paid!! I think it is Nicole too.

Xela said...

I am counting down to fall tv! I got a glimspe of that celebrity circus, it was ridiculus! Do they really think we will watch anything? 1st Bruno vs Caryann and now this, HELP!

the letter "J" said...

I think really hope that Nicole is NOT the mole, I want her executed! I think Mark is the mole, if he is I think he is playing the part just right, Nicole is way to over the top!!

Jamie Anderson said...

True true about Nicloe!!

stina said...

I just end up watching the same movies over and over. Actually, we're in the middle of a tv downgrade experiment at our house. We put our tv in the garage, and we've just been using our computer to watch movies. We can still watch many tv shows, but it discourages us from just vegging our whole night away (which I totally do). There are definitely still nights where I meander around wondering what to do for awhile.... We'll see how it goes!

And I hear you - somehow its so painful to have all those channels and still nothing that you can stand to watch.

Amy C said...

Lanie, I appreciate that your sacrafice has brought me a few seconds of Antonio Sabato Jr. in the half buff. A true friend, sister!

The Sandoval Family said...

My guess is that you and/or Hannah will be hooked on the new reality show about High School Musical. I saw the lamest reality show last night. I don't know what it was but when I turned it on some guy was licking CD's and claimed he could tell the artist of each CD by licking it. What has TV come to????

Anonymous said...

Hey Mel! What about the new 90210? Does that do anything for you?

I love the whole Mole controversy going on in your commentary...it is totally Mark or Craig. I am leaning towards Mark right now.

Jamie Anderson said...

It's me again... How did you get your page to look so cute? I've been searching everywhere and I can't figure it out. I just used a myspace background? HELP!

Unknown said...

I totally agree! I end up just watching movies. i cant wait till fall! what is all the celebrity crap? are they really celebrities or just washed up ones. my thought is washed up ones mostly! i love SYTYCD! that is my saving grace, oh and the baby borrowers.

JenJ said...

Hey Mel!!
I'm so boring. I don't watch TV unless I have a newborn who I just walk the halls with...or we watch movies too, and I did purchase all the old Lois and Clark shows....yes, for those of you who don't know me, you can think I am a total nerd. I have the confidence for that. :) HA! It has been going downhill fast for a long time. You can tell if you stop watching and then start up again. It is really shocking.