Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Dance War
It's nights like this when I'm on the computer, while listening to my IPod, taking breaks to read my book laid open and eyeing the remote that I wonder if I have a touch of ADD?? Just a thought...but i digress. My mom is a big geneology buff ( I hope she agrees with the term) and a few years ago upon doing her dad's family history which was completely unknown with him being adopted by both parents, we came across the fact that we infact have some Cuban that runs through our blood. Now, i think my own fraction comes to 1/16th, and not being overly skilled in math, I can still appreciate that that is not alot. However, we have fully embraced the Latin blood as if the Cuban mothership was calling us home. It is probably what compells me to keep taking the Latin Fusion dance class at the gym. The ability to shake my hips must be in me by simple genetics right? This is by far one of the most fun things I embarrass myself with. So, it's one thing for myself to think I am muy caliente, but I am pretty sure tonight that the girl in front of me was deliberatly competing with me. Hear me out. So, I'm in the second row ( I have found by trial and error that the front is the most humbling but a nessecity if you have a chance in following) and there is this girl in front of me who I mentally started to refer to as Skinny Pink Tank Top, who was really good. Good as she was, I found myself irritated that she kept finding a way of blocking my view of the teacher and mirror. I thought at first it was innocent enough, just frustrating. But then, I noticed that whenever I started to really get into it, she would immediatley start getting all dramatic and showy. I thought I must just be dehydrated and imagining it but then I realized she must be watching me because during a cha cha, pivet series I made a mistake and she made the same one! I was now convinced that Skinny Pink Tank Top was infact watching me and trying to one up me (although I have no idea why, maybe she sensed my 1/16th) Which I started to find really funny and it flipped some random competitive switch in me and I found myself calling upon every dormant Latin gene in me to give Pink Tank Top a run for her money. Just between you and me, I'm glad there was no real money actually involved but it made for an interesting class nonetheless. And seeing as I cannot find my camera currently, you might find yourself reading more of these little scandalizing tidbits till it resurfaces. Sorry in advance. Buenos Noches!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
man, I'm so sad I missed it! I'm right there with you next week though! Especially with my current obsession of In The Heights, I am completely digging Latin Fusion!! I can't wait for you to point out Skinny Pink Tank Top to me next week!
1/16 latin and pink tank top competition.... you crack me up Melanie! Always love laughing my butt off when I read your blogs.
Girrrrl, no she di'int!!! Feed her some Taco Bell, that'll slow her down...
I'm confused, you make sound like you just found out you were una Cubana but when I talked with your mom in 2001 she was telling me about how she found she was part Cuban. She made the joke that you and Daniel were the Cubanos, Eric and Will were from her Scottish side, and Moose and Carolyn were the Danes from yo pa ergo the Anderson.
Oh girl you are just too funny. I think I love you work-out stories the best. So proud of you for finding something you enjoy and I bet you do look hot too!
It almost motivates me to go work out...or at least put on a pink tank top and call myself Skinny Pink tank top girl...OH WAIT! I'm already wearing a pink tank top! BUST A MOVE CUBANO!!
oh yes, we have known of our cubano heritage for quite a few years now. I'm just finding new and embarrasing ways in which to embrace it!! and yes, we have a war raging in the family as far as the cubanos against the danes. but us cubanos are hotblooded...and sometimes we have to declare civil war amongst each other!
Way too funny!!! I would have love to see the Dance War in person! My money is on you any day, girlfriend!!
julie
tears are streaming down my face... from laughing so hard. I think you're going to need to show us some of those "muy caliente" moves at the reunion!... CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!
i am so glad you found me! how are you doing? i love your blog! i cant wait to catch up on everything on here!
Mel!!!
Too funny!! MAYBE she was following you in the mirror because she couldn't keep up! And every time you got into it, she did too because she was imitating you otherwise she never would have been able to do it.....probably not, but wouldn't that be so ..... what would it be??? Ironic??
So funny! Love it!!! And, Pink Tank Top Girl doesn't have anything on you...you are way cooler.
Hola, my fellow Latina! I didn't realize we had the latin blood in commen1 :) Seriously I always love reading your blog! You are so funny! That latin fusion class sounds so much fun I wish I could go with y'all!
Post a Comment