I feel like we are living a scene from Jurassic Park over here. You know the one where they think they have found a safe place to hide in the kitchen. Someone asks the scientist lady if they'll be safe in there from the Velociraptors, and she says, "Yes, we'll be safe. (Half laughing) unless they've figured out how to open doors." Then it immediately cuts to a door handle going up and down and instantly you know that it's too late, they've already figured it out, and they're all doomed.
It seems like every day I'm watching my own little Raptor, figure yet something else out that makes my day harder. It's like his thought process is, "hey, mom put me in my excersaucer so she can get some stuff done. I think I'll just spend 5 minutes and figure out how to climb out." That was Monday. Yesterday he escaped twice from our makeshift "baby barricade." And every time he gets out of something he always laughs. Like he knows he was supposed to stay in there, but the jokes on us because he knows he is a genius baby being raised by mere idiots. When he is not contained, he is into everything. I imagine you're probably like: Mel, this is child 4, aren't you aware that this is what they do? But I think it's because it's child 4 that I find it so exhausting. Which is so sad. Justin's baby book is full of fun delightful memories of all of his firsts. Now I'm all, "What?! Seriously, how did you figure out how to climb stairs? Dang it!" Can't you just picture him on the psychiatrist's couch: "I just feel like my mom never was happy with my successes..." I"m mostly kidding. At least he's cute when he pulls down the garbage can for the 3rd time in a day. But maybe I should just start putting money away each month for future therapy just in case...
7 comments:
he is getting so big!! Yikes, they really grow that fast?
Yes, Melanie. He is almost a year old. They (well most) tend not to want to sit still in their exersaucers anymore. So sorry that it means you will not be getting anything done...or that you will need a pretty gate for that pretty stair. Goodluck and guess you better get busy making the next one!
he can CLIMB OUT of the Exersaucer. . .oh great, I think I'm going to duck tape Beckett in there everytime I put him in! Too Funny on the post though!
Funny you should ask me today if I was going to update before fall. I'm doing 3 weeks of updating today. I've been a serious slacker. I love reading your blog. It makes me so happy. You have the best stories and analogies.
You are not even kidding! Isn't it the worst when they figure out that there is more to do and see than this little "box" we put them in. Seriously though you have gotten away with it for a pretty long time. :) Look out for more "trouble" I have been reminded that it only gets worse. (how is it we forget we have done this before!)
I'll send a monetary contribution for the Shrink Fund...
Post a Comment