Sunday, July 6, 2008

Flashback Friday--The V8 Frogs


Thank you to my friend Stephanie, (second one from the left) who had this on her blog! i have not seen this picture in 12 years and I am still laughing and enjoying the memories! Everyone should own a picture of themselves that transports them instantly to that time where they say, "Oh my gosh, I totally remember that!" High school can be a daunting time for many if not most. I survived my experience by having a tight group of 7 girls that got each other through. I'm not sure if it was the result of a late night with too much sugar, or a decision made with complete rationality...but we came to the conclusion that our group needed a name. We called ourselves V8 Frogs. The frog part because for some reason we also had a mascot for our little team. I can't for the life of me remember why we ended on frogs, but we not only collected them, but went bazerk when we saw pictures of frogs anywhere. Yes, I know on the surface this appears majorly geeky and kind of weird, but I promise, it seemed cool then. People would hear of our love for frogs, and subsequently I would recieve frogs, (glass, stuffed, pictures, figurines) for birthdays, Christmas. After awhile you kind of want to say, "Er, thanks for the frog, but I do like other things as well. A CD would be fabulous next time."
In this picture we were all dolled up to go to Homecoming and ready to get down on the dance floor. Fast forward 12 years later and we all have kids, husbands, mortgages, and maybe can't get jiggy with it quite like we used to. I am a firm believer in the divine intervention of certain people coming into your life at certain seasons of you life, for certain reasons that only we know. I know that these amazing girls, now amazing women and mothers, were placed in my life at just the right time. They made me better, they supported me no matter what, and loved me 100% for who I was, warts and all. (Frog pun intended!) I owe them so much and hope that my friendship in return helps pay back the debt. And just for old times sake....V8 frogs rule baby!!

6 comments:

Amy C said...

Wow, you look fly!!! (frog food pun intended!) Friends are very important. You've got me through some doosies (SP??) and I thank you and love you.

The Sandoval Family said...

My high school years would not have been nearly as fun without all of you in my life. It does sound dorky as you're reading your post... we were cool back then, right?? At least that's what we kept telling each other. Next I'm digging for some old Fazoli pictures.

Melanie said...

i'm pretty sure we were cool! That may be challenged if you find those Fazoli pictures!!

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful group of girls. Dad and I were so glad you found such good friends. The fact that you have kept in contact all these years, is a testament to how good of friends you all were-and are.
I remember the frog explosion! Frogs, frogs everywhere!!!

Unknown said...

Oh yes ladies, we were oh soooo cool. Or maybe we just thought we were. Who cares? Still have some frogs lingering around and I definitely have some old Fazoli pics. V8 Frogs do rule! I can't believe 7 of us have caught back up with eachother! It is amazing how you can not talk for years and then one day call each other up and talk like you just hung up yesterday. I LOVE IT!! Missed you this past weekend Mel, let's plan a get together soon!

Jaci said...

hey girl long time no see. I am not very good with this whole computer blog thing but stephanie and melinda sent me theirs and I found you!!!YEAH!!!! I to still have a few frog left. And lets just put this being cool thing to rest once and for all. You hung around with me of COURSE you were cool. You need not question it any more!!!!! LOL!!! I hope that we can get together soon. V-8 Frogs Rule!!! Keep in touch! Jaci