I think movies coming out at midnight is something I can safely add to the list of things that were not around when I was a kid. Nor do I even remember anticipating movies like we do now. Maybe like most things "nowadays," it's the all encompassing Internet that has forever changed the movie viewing experience. But hence, I'm not here to wax nostalgic or philosophical. I'm here to talk Potter.
You may want to go ahead and take this opportunity to remind me that I'm 33, have birthed four babies, and probably have no business going to a 12:15 AM movie. That my muscles are not young and pliable enough to sit in a chair for 5 hours. That my digestive system is no longer equipped to dump bags of candy into it like I have no respect or knowledge of my colon.
I will not argue with you on any of these points as they are all valid and true. However, there is a nerd gene inside of me that not only flows true and free but is seemingly drawn to others who are themselves, carriers of the gene as well. (Reference my nerdy friends who had been up there since 9 saving seats.)
Upon walking to the ticket counter I ran into a teen from my church who offered to sharpie the mark of the death eater on my arm. She said, "Do you want one?" And I said, "I can't remember wanting anything more."
Last year's midnight showing we were thrilled to come upon a random death eater:
But this year...that's right, look no further:
As the death mark has disappeared from my skin today, Voldermort must really be dead, which is a relief.
And *geek alert* well, okay, fine. *extra geek alert*: If I was worried in the slightest that Potter may not live up to expectations, the trailer for The Dark Knight Rises was in and of itself, money and time well spent.
Harry Potter 7.2 was everything you wanted from your past 14 year investment. All those times you waited and tracked your box online for Fed Ex same day delivery of your book. All those all nighters reading it in one sitting, breaking only for the bare essentials of humanity. All those concerns over the casting and if the movies would be as great as the pictures in our minds. The movies have certainly delivered. Which goes to J.K. Rowlings credit that if you want your book done right, you have to simply insist on it. So many of my beloved books that get made into movies leave me feeling robbed of the stories and characters that had at one time been painted so amazing in my head. To be forever replaced with the image of Kristen Stewart. I'm so sorry. Is my bitter showing?
But J.K. knew what her books meant to a generation of people and demanded the best. And by darn she got it. From her insistence of an all English cast, to being heavily involved in the screenwriting and casting process. Simply brilliant. I'm glad she's a gabillionaire.
The movie was all the best of the book. Amazing action, touching, funny, dark (that image of Voldermort walking through the blood after the aftermath at Gringotts...it haunts me.), sad, and the triumphant story of good verses evil. I especially loved the character development of Neville Longbottom. You grow to love and understand his character in the books obviously, but I think the movie painted his role in Harry's life even more, and it was a treat to see. There wasn't a moment I didn't enjoy, and it made detoxing 5 pounds of high fructose corn syrup out of my system the following morning in yoga, totally worth it.
The only odd moment in the movie was when a girl in front of me was sobbing, literally sobbing when people started to die in the war at Hogwarts. I mean, you read the books right? You're here at midnight so I can only guess you are a fan, no? It was confusing..
But tears were shed, and I can't deny that that closing fade to black on our three magical best friends felt like the end of an era. From the bottom of my heart, thank you, is I guess all you can say at the end of a ride like that.
I give it:
3 comments:
Um, that tatt looked really cool on you, I'll be watching for you on future episodes of Keller Ink
Keller Ink!? That's brilliant!
I just saw a current picture of Neville all grown up and my oh my, did that boy grow into his looks! :)
Can't wait to go see this!
Phew! I was getting a little nervous that V. would never die when I read "sharpie". Agreed on Kristen Stewart. Loved the review.
Post a Comment