Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Mel & Ray's Movie Review w/Guest Reviewers

One might think that since I seemingly haven't had time to blog, certainly I haven't found a spare minute to get myself to the movies. Well now. Let this serve as a lesson that 1: just because you think something, it doesn't necessarily make it true (a lesson I learned when I thought my first boyfriend had written a song just for me) and 2: Don't be silly. I always find time for movies. Since I am as far behind as Sherlock and as recent as How to Train Your Dragon...I'll keep 'em somewhat quick and to the point. Enjoy!

Sherlock Holmes

I say genius, you say Downey! Genius! (Downey!) Genius! (Downey!) (I'm tempted to get on a soapbox here and talk about how important it is to persevere through personal affliction; what if he had let his addictions win and the world would be without his talent?? But I get that it's a blog movie review, not an after school special. But still.)
I believe I left the theater quoting Chris Farley circa Tommy Boy with: "That. Was. Awesome!" Not only was the dialogue superb and the plot fascinating to unravel (although you won't be able to guess) I was an equal fan of the directing. I love when movies give you what you think is the whole story, but go back and show you what you missed. Jude Law was a fantastic counterpart as Watson and I just thought the whole thing was crazy smart and rocked big time. My mom didn't like it as much at first, so me, Caroline and Natalie demanded to take her again until she did, claiming she must have fallen asleep or something. I'm happy to report that under only slight duress, she was a fan.

I gave it:


The Lovely Bones

I bought the book years ago and never read it. (I'm hearing Beth Ann mumble "shocking"under her breath from all the way down the street.) I never know if reading the book before viewing helps or hurts, although I lean toward hurts. If anyone can screw up a much loved, much read bestselling book of any sort, it's certainly Hollywood. But in fairness, there are so many expectations and anticipations with movies where you have already met the characters and story in your mind. I went in with zero (expectations that is) and really, really liked it. The characters were fantastically portrayed and a scene stealer was actually Susan Sarandon (who I typically don't care for) in a smaller role as the borderline alcoholic, chain smoking grandmother. (No really, she was great!) Thematically it's a heavy topic, (seeing as the movie is narrated by the main character who is murdered within 30 minutes) but the momentum is good, the suspense is just the right amount, and the cast talented.

I gave it:


Leap Year

I could make a lot of great jokes combining the movie's title and the fact that it was really lame, but I'm no bully. Let's just leave it at predictable. I swear to you I was guessing dialogue moments before they said exactly what I guessed they would. I mean, it wasn't even as if she had a choice between better and best. It was literaly choose between idiot face and dream boat. Mmmmm...nail bitter! The movie had the book ends "obvious" and "duh" with a bunch of cliche shoved in the middle. But hey. I said I wouldn't go for cheap shots. Having said all that, I don't think you'd regret renting it if you're in the mood for a romantic comedy that happens and ends exactly the way you think it will.

I gave it:

Raleen gave it:


When In Rome

Hmmmm....Josh Dumel is really cute. Dax Shepard. Josh Dummel's nerdy work friend. Oh, sorry, I guess I should explain. I'm just listing the things that were redeeming about the movie. While the concept was cute and we had some laugh out loud moments...I'm just here to keep it real with you...the acting was rough and the plot landed many a time on the stupid side of ridiculous. But see above redeeming qualities...it would make a decent rental.

I gave it:


Beth Ann gave it:


Gillian gave it:


The Young Victoria

This movie went to support my theory that the really good movies go under advertised. So many movies of this time period (England, the 16th-18th century, the struggle for the crown) remind me of the quote" these violent delights have violent ends." This story, in contrast, was just a fantastic and refreshing story about the young queen of England, her struggle to remain true to herself despite being thrown in the midst of royal family politics and trickery and an endearing love story that made me feel good. Beautifully acted and well paced, my only regret is that I almost missed it entirely for lack of PR. Oh and get this: It's PG. Thought that was a rating lost forever...

I gave it:


Raleen gave it:


Dear John
How much are you wanting to be Nicholas Sparks lately? Honestly. Have any of his books not been made into movies at this point? The thing about N.S. is that while he is a great writer of relationships (no easy thing to do) he is a tad predictable. He gets you emotionally invested only to have one of the love interests die, or have some other tragedy occur that will keep them apart. (Perhaps you recall my sobfest at Nights in Rodanthe. Yeah, I'm still bitter.) So while I enjoyed the performances of the characters very much, it left me unsatisfied in the end. But probably more so than his others, and not even because I'm one who always needs a happy ending, but because I could think of half a dozen other OBVIOUS solutions to the problem other than the one the character chose. I felt the author trying too hard to keep the characters apart (or to surprise the audience) by some other means than death that he had to go the long way home in order to get there. At the end of the day, I didn't buy it or like it. Raleen was a bigger fan of it as we don't always see eye to eye on movies. There are some great scenes though. One between the son and the dad that could probably tear my heart out any day of the week. But like I said, that kind of stuff is what N.S. does best.

I gave it:


Raleen gave it:



How To Train Your Dragon (3D)
In the weeks leading up to the release of this movie I started an experiment. How many times can you be asked the same question before you start to lose your mind. The answer? Somewhere around 50.
Jackson: "Can we pleeeaaassee go see How To Train Your Dragon on March 26th?"

Copy. Paste. Repeat.

And as happy as he was to go see it, don't think I didn't get a lecture that he knew we ended up going on the 27th. I mean, he may be six, but he's nobody's fool. Only popcorn and sour patch kids eased the pain of not being first in line. And can I just say that I loved this movie? I just did. Maybe because the last kid movie I saw was the Planet 51 debacle and so my expectations were low. Even up to the opening credits I was kicking myself for not bringing my IPod or book. But man was I impressed. I would even go as far as saying it's a movie for the whole family but I'm not sure if that's true. There's a lot of action, the animation is fantastically real and with 3D thrown in, it can all seem a bit intense. I kept getting a kick out of the fact that Jackson thought if he wanted to hide his eyes he just needed to take his 3D glasses off.
This was so cute, really funny and truly heartwarming. And finally...finally...a Gerard Butler movie with his Scottish accent. Sigh.

I gave it:


Jackson gave it:


The Bounty Hunter

Pouty face....No Scottish accent for Mr. Butler here, but I still liked it. While one could definitely call it predictable, one could hardly think it not entertaining. The characters have great chemistry and while they "hate" each other after a bitter divorce and sabotage the other person repeatedly, both do it while remaining likeable and funny in their own way. It's a good solid romantic comedy with the reliable acting chops of Butler and Aniston.

I gave it:

Raleen gave it:


Remember Me
Talk about a movie I didn't see coming. I knew little to nothing about this movie when I went to see it besides being curious why Edward wasn't in Forks. ?! The less you know about this movie before viewing the better. I will say I like Robert Pattinson a lot more when he's not a vampire. Raleen didn't like how it ended, Beth and I did, and Gillian thought the ending was an interesting twist but the movie didn't nessecarily need it. So make of THAT what you will. Intrigued yet? Gil made an interesting point that the movie is moving and sad (family dysfunction, tragedy and real life issues) without being depressing.
Admist it all emerges this love story that is as redeeming as it is fun and real. You won't see many things coming, and it's been awhile since a movie has surprised me like that.

I gave it:


Beth Ann gave it:


Raleen gave it:


Gillian gave it:


Alice in Wonderland

I feel a bit like the judges do on American Idol when they are about to give feedback that they know is gonna get them booed. So I'm bracing myself for impact. Maybe it was late. Maybe I needed to see it in 3D. Maybe I needed to have lower expectations. Maybe I didn't actually get the point of the original Alice in Wonderland. Maybe. But I didn't like it. Fell asleep actually. Not enough to miss anything vital, enough to appreciate that I was bored. Johnny Depp was brilliant as he always is, but beyond that, I was underwhelmed. I was intrigued at the idea that this was a new story with Alice going back to Wonderland years later as a young woman. But with shrinking liquid and giant making cake, the creepy Cheshire Cat serving no other point but being, well...creepy, the Queen of Hearts yelling: off with their head!...it was essentially a remake of the original with Alice's age and the expanded role of the Mad Hatter the only difference. Sure, it's visually stunning, but nowadays, (and not to sound like a spoiled brat) that's not exactly a novelty. Like I said, maybe I'm in the minority, but, there, I said it. Boo away.

I gave it:


Well, so maybe quick isn't exactly in my repertoire, but I hope this was helpful! We'll see ya next time...have fun at the movies!

4 comments:

Amy C said...

I love the lightsabers!! Perfect!

Thanx for saving me from Leap Year, and I can't wait to see Young Victoria. I just now thought about that horribly naughty movie we walked out on! Yuk!

Tara said...

Absolutely on the same page with your for Alice. Loved, loved, loved Sherlock. LOVED Leap Year. I think sometimes I is fun to have a mindless RoCo to just relax. I saw it twice. Really enjoyed Remember Me. Only went to see it for the Rob Patz factor. There is a cat dead somewhere, I'm sure. When in Rome was AWFUL. The rest I have not given a try...
Love ya!

Rachel said...

I love your movie reviews! Now Hubby and I will know what to steer away from at the Redbox! Alas, actually going to the movies is a rare thing for us these days. You should be getting paid for this!

Sharlene Enloe said...

I love the rating system! Hugh Jackman is definitely my favorite, too!