Going into this school year with a little less of the haze, I felt empowered and did the one thing Anderson women love to do when feeling pumped up. I bought office supplies.
File folders, a cool standing folder rack, post its, sharpies, file boxes...yeah, it was great.
All notes, permission slips, future projects, book reports, competitions, clubs, library book due dates, and so forth would get filed according to importance. Daily I would check my filing system and send my child forth with all things required for that day. I would be the new golden standard in parenting. Teachers would make me the model of what other parents should be, and would discuss my system in meetings. I would of course make all attempts to be humble at first, but in the end, I would help other parents achieve my level of awesomeness.
AHEM.
Reality:
Last week I was packing the kid's lunches. We were at the end of a grocery cycle and I was trying to rationalize if chocolate chips in a Ziploc bag could be passed off as a "treat." Something starts to jar loose in my mind, and I kind of remember putting a project of Jackson's in the filing system the week before.
I check my fail proof system to discover that it is in fact, "due soon." If soon means it was due the day before. They had sent home construction paper, and wanted each child, (READ: PARENT) cut out a flower, decorate it and put a baby picture in the middle. I have about 7 minutes before the bus, so I hurriedly cut out a flower, color it, and race to the office to scrounge up a baby picture of Jackson. Ten years ago, that would have been successful. Unfortunately it's 2009, and all of my pictures live on the computer.
Still wasn't going to panic, even though I knew my printer was on the fritz. I have a couple of picture boxes in the cabinet.
I'm searching, I'm searching...Surely there are at least a couple of him somewhere. Surely...come on...any minute now....
It's now 2 minutes till the bus and I come across a baby picture that I'm sure is Jackson. A mother can always tell. I squint a bit at the hospital bracelet and see: Drew Taylor.
I know what you're thinking okay? You're thinking: Surely she didn't. Tell me she didn't!
Believe it. A few careful crops with my handy dandy scissors, a bit of tape and WHA-LA. Drew is now Jackson. Admittedly...it's an all new low. I realize now that I may be talked about in Teacher Meetings, but it may not be in the same way I had first envisioned...
To my small credit, we do seem to keep producing the same child...
12 comments:
That's awesome. And I could totally see myself doing it in a moment of desperation.
I seriously need to start investing in Depends undergarments to read you blog posts. Plus you just make me feel like I have a friend in the grand mothering scheme of things. Here's to losing our minds one child at a time.
Oh, Melanie, thank you for admitting this. Making us all feel like we may have some company really does make you a supermom! :)
Is it crazy that I am reading this and thinking... 'what a GENIUS!' and not, 'oh, no she didn't!'???
You are so funny!
Melanie, you know ONE of the many things I LOve about your blog, I never feel inadequate reading it! No really though, I so appreciate your candor and humor; more of us can totally relate to your tells than would ever let on! I restart my "supermom" goals/agenda on a regular basis. It may as well be a permanent reminder in my planner at the beginning of each month, or week for that matter! You are SOOO cool!
I love it! Classic! Email me some pics of the trip if you took any. I didn't take any.
He he he..I am going to love being a mom aren't I?
I love it, Mel! You crack me up! Hey, project DONE! That's what matters, right? And, yes, I'm sure all their baby pictures are hard to keep straight anyway. Honest "mistake." ;)
An we thought there was a problem switching children in the hospital.
Love it! Sounds a lot like the funny business that goes on at my house!
I love the part about "chocolate chips in a baggie possibly being passed off as a treat!!!" LOL Those darn snacks they have to take to school....I find myself rummaging through the pantry also trying to come up with something!
And oh yeah..I better see you this saturday morning, 7:05am!
Post a Comment