What do I like best about my new kickboxing class I'm taking with my lil' sister? It's certainly not the 8:30 AM time slot. (Does no one else know that it's summer?? I mean really.) It could be that the instructor is a 50+ year old Kenpo Karate instructor and he's so cute I just want to put him in my pocket. Or it could possibly be the eclectic group of men and women in the class who have been coming for years. Their comfortable banter with each other is so funny, some days I'm not sure if my stomach hurts more from the ab workout or from laughing so hard.
No, no, those things are great, but they're not the best thing about it. The best thing would have to be, hands down, the fact that everyone keeps assuming that Caroline and I are friends home from college, instead of sisters, 12 years apart.
What can I say? I officially no longer complain at the 30 dollar price tag for my Oil of Olay Regenerist cream. You better believe I'm buyin' that stuff in bulk now baby!
As fun as it is to see everyone freak out when I explain that I am 31, married and have four kids; it's also not the first time I have been mistaken for younger. You may have noticed I go to a few movies. Ahem. Without fail, when buying my ticket I'm asked, "Do you have your student ID?" At the grocery store I'm carded for cold medicine and super glue. I've been asked what High School I go to, and even at a HS Volleyball game was told to go ahead and go in without paying.
Students were free that night.
What's so funny to me about it all, well, there's several funny things, but I'll narrow it down. When I actually was younger, I was constantly being mistaken for being older. Something about being a 5'10" eighth grader tends to throw people I guess. If I had a dime for every time I heard, "Oh, you're only (fill in the blank age) I would have sworn you were older!" I would be, well, quite frankly I wouldn't be blogging to you people, I'd have been able to buy my own island somewhere.
It's nice to be mistaken for younger now. (Especially since a trip to Target with all four kids makes me feel about 80 by the time I get back to the car.) Wether or not we're actually old or young, time is going by fast. Rhett and I celebrate our 12th wedding anniversary this weekend. How did that happen? I am now officially someone who I would have considered old, twelve years ago. Scary.
I distinctly remember our first married ward. On our first Sunday everyone went around and introduced themselves and said how long they'd been married. (Since the average was somewhere around 6 months, it was still a very exciting thing to announce.) I'll always remember this couple that introduced themselves and then said that they had been married for two years. Two years. My jaw dropped a bit at the insane length of time they had been married. They suddenly seemed so wise and learned, and I secretly wondered to myself why they were in our ward. I mean, come on, two years. Shouldn't they be going to a family ward??
I'm beginning to think time has been going by so fast, we're not quite keeping up with it. Have you noticed how all the futuristic stories and movies are still taking place in 2000 something? Um, Hi. That's no longer the future. I just saw a preview for some apocalyptic, end of civilization movie coming out next summer called: 2012.
What the?
That's not the future, that's like next month. These kinds of things lose some of their effect when it's: ALIENS TAKE OVER THE WORLD AND EAT YOUR BRAINS IN: 2010!!!
I mean, come on Hollywood. That's just lazy. We need horrible and exciting things to happen to fake people at least a thousand years from now. We don't want to think about those kinds of things happening during our own lifetime. Where's the cinematic joy in that? Pain and suffering is only entertaining when it happens to past and future generations. Duuhh.
Anyways, what was I saying? I don't even remember. Something about kickboxing right? I'm also finding it a great workout companion to my Yoga. Apparently to achieve zen like peace you must balance mediation with beating the crap out of stuff.
Who knew?
3 comments:
oh the guy at kroger asked me what high school i went to a few months ago. it totally made my day. :)
K, definitely investing in that cream and your RIDICULOUS exercise regiment! I am ALWAYS mistaken for someone older...
But seriously 12 YRS!?!?! Congratulations, and HOLY COW!! I hope you got to party it up right in Utah!
good luck with the wedding this weekend!
I never knew about the age thing and the way you tell the story has me cracking up, laughing out loud (wrote it out, that's how much I was laughing!), and feelin' the joy. Thanks!
PS: Can you babysit before you go back to the Y?
Post a Comment