
Everyone brace yourself for two things. One, Rhett came with me to this movie. I know. Are these the last days or what?? Of course, is it a coincidence that the first movie he agrees to go to in years is one with Megan Fox in it? Hmmm...me thinketh not. I warned him that she may be a cute enough girl, but that her acting skills leave much to be desired. An opinion he now shares with me. Also about thirty minutes in he leans over and says, "So, are there good transformers and bad transformers?"
I blame myself.
When you have to explain the difference between Decepticons and Autobots, and give a condensed history lesson on Optimus Prime, you know you have failed the people you love most.
I have to cut him some slack. He didn't grow up with brothers, and he certainly didn't have anyone in his life so excited to get Transformers for Christmas, he looked like this:

(Note the gift and pajamas...I realize I will pay for this)
Second thing....I didn't like the movie. I'm as big a fan as the next person of fights between Transformers, but even I have my limits to how long I can stand to watch them. Two and half hours!! How long can these things beat the living daylights out of each other and NOT DIE?!
And can I just say again: Megan Fox is a bad actress. And not in the bad really means good type of way. I just mean...baaaaaadd. Most of the characters and relationships seemed contrived and forced, and certainly took second place to the Transformer fights. The plot essentially boils down to the defeated Decepeticons of the first movie getting to come back for seconds, with not much thought given to any other character or story development. They introduced some new Autobots who would have been more enjoyable, but alot of their dialogue seemed like they were trying too hard. Shia always turns in a great performance, and I enjoyed John Turturro in it, but ultimately I left underwhelmed and with the sound of metal on metal ringing in my ears.
I would like to add now that I went into this movie review as a good sport knowing that I would have to let Rhett choose a celebrity of his choice as his rating system. I told him I wasn't going to care, and he could choose anyone he wanted. I promised to refrain from such comments as, "Her?! Really?? She's alright, a bit trashy but, alright..." That being said, I swear I did not put him up to this...


Rhett gave it:


The Proposal

It has been my experience that Sandra movies rarely disappoint. She just has this crucial comedic timing that so many others who attempt to do what she does, fall short of. I also walk away from this movie an official Ryan Reynolds fan. I have seen him in other things, but this just solidified him in my mind as a real contender. I laughed alot at this movie, and I enjoyed the story as a whole. I was a bit shocked that they could show one of the scenes in a PG-13. Lines are definitely being pushed and I couldn't say I'd recommend it for young teenagers. I don't know why Hollywood does that, but don't get me started on a rant.
Great cast, funny movie, a strong PG-13.







Year One

Oh brother. Seriously. There is just so much. Let's start with what I did like because it's a shorter list. Michael Cera and Jack Black are very funny people, and as two clumsy caveman sidekicks, they prove very lovable. They get banished from their tribe, and as they make their way into unknown territory, they come across several different Biblical stories in progress. Cain and Able, Abraham and Issac, ultimately finding themselves in Sodom and Gomorrah. Yeah. It doesn't take much to guess the direction of the story. The movie actually had alot of potential. At the end of the day, the script felt like Jack Black and a bunch of his buddies wrote the movie in someones basement while inebriated. I'm sure it all sounded very funny at the time.
I think we felt like the movie was trying too hard for shock value. If they would have let the stories happen in a more natural way, it could have been really good. They just couldn't leave well enough alone. They had to keep pushing the jokes and innuendos until you arrived at an uncomfortable, nervous type laughter. You now forget why you were laughing hysterically a few moments before, and just want the scene to be over. It was sad really. If only I were in charge of these types of things, I could have counseled them that less is more.


Caroline gave it:
(That's half a Zac Efron...)


Caroline gave it:
(That's half a Zac Efron...)1.Be asked to be YW Camp Director
2. Spend four days coordinating 40 people in the bugs, wildlife, dirt and endless heat.
2. Spend four days coordinating 40 people in the bugs, wildlife, dirt and endless heat.
3. Come home and nap for four hours.
4. Wake up and go to the late show with another Camp Director.
5. Be so delirious with fatigue that you find the mildly funny jokes entertaining.
6. Be so grateful to be in air conditioning that you don't mind that you just wasted 8 bucks.
So bad people. So very, very bad. Maybe there is a huge piece of the puzzle missing for me since I never watched the original series, but I can't imagine that's it. There was one line in the entire painful hour and a half that made me laugh to the point of tears but, again, see #5. Run, don't walk, away from this movie.


Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian
So bad people. So very, very bad. Maybe there is a huge piece of the puzzle missing for me since I never watched the original series, but I can't imagine that's it. There was one line in the entire painful hour and a half that made me laugh to the point of tears but, again, see #5. Run, don't walk, away from this movie.


Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian

I enjoyed myself at this, but this is the kind of role Ben Stiller excels at. It's more of the same, which ultimatley is a good thing since the first one was so great. Do I seem as underwhelmed and noncommittal to you as I think I do?? There's just not a whole lot to say. Was it fantastic? No. Was it the funniest movie I've seen in a long time? Not particularly. In fact, probably the funniest part of the whole thing was my sister and I convincing my mom to come see it with us at the late show. She agreed, but only if she could take a nap earlier in the evening to prepare. While driving there, we passed a couple of cop cars who had pulled someone over.
"See! See! We're up at the time when the criminals come out."
"Seriously Ma, it's 10:15."
It's a bit like driving Miss Daisy.
Here is a well directed movie with Tom Hanks doing his thing. It's a tad violent, I will say that. But the story is fast paced, interesting, and I enjoyed Mr. Hanks (and his hairstyle, as long as I'm critiquing) in this Dan Brown story more than I did in the Davinci Code. I went into the theater convinced I had read this, but realized after the first 30 minutes that I had in fact started this book, and never finished it. Not sure how that happened, but I suddenly realized I couldn't remember what happened after a certain point. I found the end a bit unbelievable, but exciting none the less. That's all I ask for in a movie really. You can be over the top; just sell it to me. The acting was great, and the story sucked you in from the beginning. Made me want to read the book. From beginning to end this time....








Hopefully you're enjoying yourselves at the movies. I'm really looking forward to My Sister's Keeper. The book is fantastic, btw. And of course Harry Potter next month!! Anyone else hear that it's supposed to get a PG rating? Seems a bit light for the heaviness of book six...




6 comments:
I was a bit shocked with the scene in The Proposal.. but I loved the movie so much, that I forgot about it!
Transformers I loved so much I saw it twice. (It was the corvette!)
Night at the Musuem was awesome. (Darth Vader was the best!)
Angels and Deamons... LOVED
So I think we're on the same page... Carry on!
I haven't seen any of these! And I thought I was actually doing good lately. Now I just need to find someone to go see them with!
You are going to lose all respect for me when I tell you that I loved Land of the Lost. (Yes, really!) I guess I am a true Will Ferrell fan.
I can not wait to see Year One. The stupider the better.
Have not seen The Proposal yet...but it is on the to do list.
P.S. The Hangover is hilarious...completely obscene, but funny!
I am so excited to hear Angels and Demons was good. That seems like a good date movie. I am surprised that Harry Potter is PG but I'm taking Jared anyway to the midnight show. I can't wait to see Sister's Keeper either. The cast looks amazing. Thanks for the reviews.
LOVE Rhett's choice! If you have to go to Transformers again, will you please take my son?? Spare me! I thought Amy Adams did a great job in the Museum, as did Ben. I was disappointed in the movie though.
Post a Comment