Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Ice Is Not Cool

Texas tries to get in on the winter season at least once or twice a year. However since it doesn't get the consistent winter like symptoms as the rest of the world, the attempts at a random ice storm, or a spontaneous 2 inch dusting of snow ends up being more annoying to me than magical.
It kind of reminds me of that kid in school that would always bounce up and down around everyone, trying to fit in till you were like,
"Yes Peter, what is it??"
With all focus now on Peter, it would quickly become apparent that he didn't really have anything pertinent to add, he just wanted to be part of the conversation.

All over the world there are reports of record breaking snow, cold temperatures, and ice storms taking out power and closing down freeways. Texas hears this, wants to get in on the action, but that dang southern current keeps us from fitting in. So the minute that Canada blows us a cold front, our meteorologists are in a complete frenzy. They bundle up in parkas and load up in vans to go report "live from the scene" of the winter weather.

(Sigh) "Yes Texas, what is it??"

They start going on for 20 minutes, pre-empting all other news. Using phrases like "a wintry mix is upon us." I'm sorry, what does that even mean?

Here, we get an ice storm of sorts and everything shuts down. Schools are closed, shows get interrupted with constant updates about how you are a fool, a fool, to be on the roads right now. I agree with them on that. You are in serious danger from all the people on the road who don't know how to drive in it.

And because our ice and snow are so hit or miss, we lack the skills to deal with it. Case and point, me getting out of the car today at the Yoga studio and promptly slipping on the ice. Oh I'm fine, I'm fine. More annoyed really. It's very possible slipping on ice wasn't really in my line of thought, given that three days ago it was 80 degrees.

It was also unfun to run errands yesterday and come to the horrible realization that 25 degrees is officially my flip flop wearing threshold. Toes. Frozen. Off. Flip flops, boots, make up your mind you blasted state! We don't care that we don't make the news with all our winter misery. I've lived it growing up. I promise. It's not all it's cracked up to be. Sure, there were the snowball fights, the snow forts, armies of snowmen, the building of snow ramps to do wicked sledding off of...aww, good times...but-whatever, I promise, warmer is better.

Snow, ice, wintry mix...bad. Sunshine and 80's..good!

Don't worry Pet-Texas, we love you just the way you are. (Until August when I can only guess that you are trying to melt us.)

P.S. No offense to the name Peter. It's a lovely name.

P.S.S. This will not go over well with my native Texan friends. You don't make fun of Texas. Not even joking. Not even a little bit.

12 comments:

Jamie Anderson said...

Lame Texans?! Stop complaining... Did you see Idaho? "Heavy Mountain Snow!! For DAYS I might add! Ughhhh

Jamie Anderson said...

(Will here)
Ok, very good post. Well written and funny. But i'm SOOO confused. Yes, i agree that if youre gonna be in Texas it should just stay warm. But how could you HATE the winter weather? You listed many things from our childhood that we LOVED to do in the winter times. Remember building snowmen with dad so big we had to get a peice of plywood to use a rudimentary ramp to roll the head up into place? the snow men were like 8' tall.

I love the winter. I think you spoiled texans give it a bad rap. If its gonna be cold i say go all the way. Piles of snow, sweet snow boots, snow shovels, snow forts snowboarding, sleding, snow caves...ect. You have forgotten your roots, melanie. FOR SHAME!!

No but seriously, i loved the post.

Melanie said...

To an extent, I will give it to you...growing up with winter was a blast as a kid. Mom would put us in a snowsuit and moonboots and say "see ya at dinner!"
Now, I'm a cranky old adult who would just like to be warm all the time. And all i'm saying is that I don't think it's too much to ask this Southern state of ours to quit trying to have winter, when clearly, if any of us here wanted winter, well, we'd move to Idaho..!:)

Jamie Anderson said...

I'm with you Mel! I hate winter! I only like it for like a week in December but then I'm done! Ha ha! I should totally move to Texas, wait.... I tried that once!

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

hahahaha, k, hold on while I gather together...I just find it TOO funny you chose the name Peter in the context you did! hahaha (ahhh, deep breath)

K, we need to help you find your balance once again. I'm all about appreciating a fine cellist, but not so much to feature him on my blog...Mel, cut down on the Namaste my friend!

Melanie said...

If I don't bring a little culture to the life of Bethann Sands, who will?? Nick Jonas? Your Life of An American Teenager show? Hardly. You'll thank me later.
(P.S. LOL...)

Anonymous said...

I am with you 100%. I totally get what you are trying to say. Seriously, Texas -quit trying to play with the big boys, you are only going to get hurt! Warm weather is what you do best, mild winters are where you shine, accept who you are and QUIT trying to join the crowd!
It doesn't take away any good winter memories we all have, it doesn't mean we don't like other states, but Texas needs to remember who it is and stay true to that.
Loved the post-made me laugh so much my OJ came out my nose!

Anonymous said...

Exactly!! hello my gym even closed because the weather was coming!!! hello I need to walk and get this kid out. Oh well, loved this post so funny. Glad you are ok, i was very worried I'd slip and hurt the baby. Phew, all ok here.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
texaswilliams said...

Hello my friend! I totally understand ya! Utah and Idaho are laughing at us! Let's VT soon! :) Blake told me that he told you I killed the turtle. I was so trying to keep that a secret...Carly is thinking of a mission :)I think she would be great!

Love ya

Unknown said...

well, not sure about ice and we did barely make it home last night due to the wind blowing shut the country roads...but i do have to say that having a snowball fight with a four year old and building a giant snow man with a 2 year old who kept waving goodbye to him as we were going inside was pretty darn cute! :)
i know deep down you gotta miss it!

Xela said...

HAHA! Mel you crack me up! Love reading your stuff. Seriously though it was a joke! We watched the news and they had it on 1 ramp in fort worth for seriously an hour. I mean are they crazy, wait maybe I am crazy I couldnt quit watching the dumb people trying to drive down the ramp covered in ice. Help, I am turning into one of these crazy texans. lol