Sunday, December 7, 2008

You Have A Problem With How We Do Things Around Here? See Your Grandmother.

My mom taught me how to clean a mean house. Give me your most grim tales of childhood chores woe, and 9 times out of 10 I can beat it.

You had to clean the bathrooms? Oh I'll see your bathrooms, and I'll raise you with weeding, mulching,mowing, and scrubbing the walls.

Maybe your Saturday was comprised of the myths I'm always hearing about: Sleeping in, watching cartoons, going to the movies...At the Anderson house, Saturday revolved around two words.

Chore lists.

My mom could comprise a list of chores divided up into such diverse, complex categories and ranking systems, she could very easily rival top military strategists. I remember it was a large yellow Mead notepad and every kid got their own page. Every chore listed was then sub-categorized with smaller jobs within the bigger job that then needed to be checked off before the job as a whole, could be considered done. You could easily keep track of what you had done by a small box she drew next to each task where you would checkmark it when it was complete and inspected.

Yeah, it was intense.


When most people clean the fridge, they clean the parts you can see. The outside, the inside, the shelves, the drawers, the sides. But did you know that the rubber stripping on the inside of the door has a crevice? Well, my mom does, and it's really hard to clean. But if you take a toothpick and a washcloth, that too can be "spic and span."
There were 7 of us kids. The more kids you have, the more hands to get things done, the more hands you have to get things done, the more jobs you can take on. When I was young I thought my mom and dad must have spent hours plotting behind closed doors of all the things they could dream up for us to do... followed of course, by lots of diabolical laughter.

Now, as an adult, with a household of my own to run, I have noticed two main results to this element of my childhood.

One-I only know how to clean in bulk. Cleaning the house, to me, is something I tackle once a week because I only know how to do it when I devote an entire day and make myself lists of chores and sub-chores, that rank in order of importance and most efficient time management.

Second-I do know how to work. You could never have convinced me when I was 13 that this was either important or a good thing. Thankfully with age comes understanding. I'm not saying I always like it; most of the time I loathe it, but I know how to do it, I know it has to get done, and I know of the pride and sense of accomplishment that I'll have when the task is done.

I mentioned that 9 times out of 10 I can beat people when it comes to childhood chores, and Rhett is that 10 that beats me. He essentially grew up on his grandparents Ranch. Maybe it's just me, but I think if your chores ever include shoveling horse poo, you just win.

Now, enter our children.

Given our backgrounds, we're astounded at what our kids consider "hard labor" and the amount of complaining and griping we get about doing work. I was once lectured by a child who will remain nameless (COUGH! Hannah) that we have 15 stairs, and did I realize that every time I have her put things away, she has to go up and down 15 stairs?! Rhett and I are usually left speechless with our mouths just gaping open.

When we regain the ability to speak, it's usually in a disjointed temper tantrum of disbelief: You-have-no-idea-what it means to work hard! When I was your age, I had the lists--the checkmarks!--and fridge crevices--and---are you friggen kidding me with this stair nonsense?!----for crying out loud child--YOUR DAD CLEANED UP HORSE POO!

Upon calming down and regaining ourselves, we have come to realize that our kids need some serious Old School 101. My thirteen year old self would be astonished to know this, but I believe learning how to work, and appreciating that work is a massive part of life, is one of the most important things we can instill in our kids. So. It's time. I'm pulling out the chore lists. Oh yeah. It's about to get crazy up in here.


What helps you with your kids and chores?

Some of that Saturday joy...







I didn't have any pictures of Rhett on his grandparent's Ranch, but I found a cute one of his sister Heather, feeding the cows.

15 comments:

stina said...

I won't try to one up your stories, but I will be following this post. I'm completely sporadic about giving my kids chores, and I need to get organized for them to learn something here. But how shall I do it???? That's where you come in. Bring on the ideas!

Anonymous said...

First, let me say, 'your welcome' second, q-tips also are a great cleaning tool, third, the secret to success with kids and chores are that the parents have to work alongside the kids. Sure, the daily chores, beds, rooms, etc., they do as part of their routine (give them a list with boxes to check off-they will LOVE it. When you were too young to read I drew pictures!) But, the big chore days-kids work better and have more fun w/ mom and dad.Fourth, I wish I could be a fly on the wall when you give Hannah a toothpick and washcloth and show her how to clean the fridge! :-)

the letter "J" said...

I second that notion!! I too believe it is time to lay down some hardcore chore doing here in the Ward household. It's the end of the world when I make the kids pick up the crumbs under the table!! I'm talkin a 45 minute job devoting the first 43 minutes to whinning, crying, gagging and sobs, followed by a whopping 2 minutes the tasks actually requires!

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

I have to back up your mom on that...Aiden rocks @ cleaning if we are doing it with him...he LOVES to help his dad clean carpets, clean the car, replace lightbulbs...but ask him to do the everyday stuff?? FORGET ABOUT IT...he is too tired to get into his pj's, brush his teeth, put away his toys, or {gasp} fix his own snack...that's what we'll be working on!

Tara said...

Look!! I know those boys in that picture. That must be Indiana.. becasue that is how I remember those brothers of yours!

Lauren said...

The "gobble bin" has done wonders in our house. I'm pretty sure we've had that conversation, but if you need a refresher, give me a call! :)

But, we still have to remind, coax, threaten and/or reward to get it to happen (oh, and yes, we do HAVE to help). Add to that the dinner time battles and it makes for lots of "fun" going around here!

JenJ said...

I support you 110% on this work thing!!! Stick to your guns. It is no fun sometimes to be SUCH a bad guy. But just remember, it is all part of your "work" now, being a consistent parent who cares that her kids learn a good work ethic.
I am not really good at it myself. We have regular chores, but they are such light work in my opinion and it takes so long for the kids to do them, I almost don't dare give them any more....I'm a wimp, I know it.

Unknown said...

Chore lists...awesome! Though, I don't envy the tantrums that your kids will have as you crack the whip the first few times.

kristi said...

Oh, Mel - I haven't caught up with your life in so long! But I am so glad to finally read your hilarious blog entries!
Yes, my kids complain of "working" too and then I start to question myself..."am I being a slave driver??!!" If they would just do it willingly the first time they were asked, I wouldn't have to NAG them about it all day, right?? Oh what to do......

Unknown said...

Oh I cannot believe you haven't started sooner. Tim has always said that they reason we had children was to mow the lawn and do the dishes. Too funny. When I was a kid I was somehow always able to talk Tiff into washing the dishes and me rinsing and drying...not sure how I did that but it was cool.
I already make Lucas and Lilly help me unload the dishwasher, it goes slower but it is a dreaded project of mine so it keeps me entertained.

Unknown said...

Oh I cannot believe you haven't started sooner. Tim has always said that they reason we had children was to mow the lawn and do the dishes. Too funny. When I was a kid I was somehow always able to talk Tiff into washing the dishes and me rinsing and drying...not sure how I did that but it was cool.
I already make Lucas and Lilly help me unload the dishwasher, it goes slower but it is a dreaded project of mine so it keeps me entertained.

Xela said...

See I told you I would go home and catch up on blogs...you crack me up (as always) I feel your pain though, our saturdays were always filled with chores, and we could never go anywhere till they were done and inspected by mom. My kids have no idea how good they have it!

Shelley said...

Holy Moly Lady - you have a ton of comments. I have no idea how to make kids do tons of chores. We usually work until I'm done and suffering from cabin fever to get out.

Ben and Stephanie Taylor said...

oh, mel, how i remember! we'd get up as early as possible to ingest as much cartoon time as we could before mom and dad came into the living room with "the list." and today, my kids look for places to hide when they see me with a notebook and pen in hand!

Amy C said...

This all sounded like an idea I should adopt until I read mamma anderson's comment about parents working along side their kids - Do I haaaaaave tooooo???