Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Brainwashing, err, Mentoring Continues

Thanksgiving, I came across a familiar scene. Rhett and Justin, on the couch, looking about ready to go into a football coma. I noticed that they were gearing up for a change of scenery and were now going to be watching basketball. Always deeply interested in the interests of the men in my life, I sat for a few minutes to notice what teams were playing. Even a sports novice such as myself could recognize that they were about to watch a pretty boring game.
(Definition of a Sports Novice-Someone who could care less about sports, but through proximity and the enthusiasm of those around them, comes to understand sports, even against their will.)

I ask Rhett, "Why are you going to watch The Nuggets/Hornets game? Maybe you two need to spend some time with the three dimensional people."

To which Justin responded without missing a beat:

“We have to watch because we have to cheer against the Nuggets because they are in the Jazz’s division and we want them to lose. And we hate Chris Paul (point guard for the Hornets) because everyone thinks he’s better than Deron Williams and he isn’t.”

I felt both amused and scared all at the same time.


Despite my many pleadings that he wasn't ready for football this year..(and by pleadings I mean guilt trips, bribery, blackmail and whining.) Justin had his first year of football and not only loved it but was really good at it. My worst fears were not realized and there were no broken bones or concussions. Plenty of "cool" bruises and scrapes to show off to his friends and siblings though.
So that's good.
Rhett coached and had so much fun doing that, I wasn't sure of the two, who was more enthusiastic to give the play by play after the games.






I believe the cake says it all.

6 comments:

Ashley Gower said...

Chris Paul is better than Deron Williams.

Xela said...

Glad he loved it so much, Rhett would always talk to me in the halls at church about how awesome it is! Jordan is defintly playing next year, he was not happy that I made him take this year off.

Melanie said...

oooh, scott, how much does a plane ticket to Alaska run these days?? there may need to be a throwdown...;)

Anonymous said...

ok, I don't know where to comment on 'what the kids say' so I will do that here. That' comment of Jackson's about the cookie cutter is about the funniest thing I have ever heard him say. What a crack-up!!!

Amy C said...

I'm a Military History Novice. I can always tell who's fighting against who(m)...

JGW said...

I am going to have to agree about the cookie cutter comment—hilarious! When I saw that, I about died laughing.