I also find that I compare what I was like at the age they are becoming. I'm always curious about which genetic "gifts" I have passed along. Because in the end it's all about me, right? Will they be social, will they be musical, forgetful, have an insatiable need to blog....?With Hannah turning 8 tomorrow, the comparisons begin. When I was eight, I got my first diary. (if you think of it, kind of an old school blog) I wrote in it faithfully and still have it to this day. It's one thing to go back and read your childhood diary for fun and nostalgia's sake. It takes on a whole new frightening twist to read about yourself at the same age as one of your kids. According to my 8 year old self, I was completely boy crazy, my life revolved around my friends and I was constantly changing my conclusions on whether my parents were the best, or totally lame.
I suppose if she is writing about any of those things in her diary, I have no one to blame but myself. I played "girls chase boys" and "boys chase girls" as far back as Kindergarten. My target at recess everyday was this blond haired blue eyed boy named Ryan. I have this vivid (albeit random) memory of capturing a handful of boys and putting them in that huge half bubble jungle gym contraption. Ideally they were there because they were now at our mercy and we were going to give them all kisses. Sadly, many of the girls would wuss out and just set them free. I always found that extremely disappointing. By 8 I "loved" some boy named Kenny and by the 5th grade, it seems I had a rotating boyfriend system between Jaime, Brad and Michael W. I kinda remember the Michael W. and Brad characters, but I totally remember Jaime. He had freckles, blue eyes, spiked hair and according to my diary, was my "total true love."
Suddenly it dawns on me that it's possible that it's not just the songs that Hannah is digging from High School Musical. Is she totally crushing on Zack Efron?? No, couldn't be...quick, somebody reassure me!
In lots of ways I think her and I are totally different. Like Rhett, she's practical and seems way more grounded in reality, where I always had/have my head in the clouds. She's definitely wittier and funnier; and as much as it pains me to admit it, (because I thought I was the Sarah Jessica Parker of my day), she has a way better sense of style. I'll still take credit for that one though seeing as Rhett hates to shop, thinks of clothes as a social necessity, and I had to recently throw out clothes he's had since high school that he had refused to give up because, "What? They're still in great shape."
Add to the list that we both can err on the side of the dramatic and like to get our way; we like to write, create, love our friends, and love a party. Eye rolling is an art form I had perfected by the time I was 13 and she is already showing great potential. Given all that, she really is her own girl. She's independent and feisty in a way I never was at that age. Rhett and I have already agreed that if she ever gets caught in some harebrained scheme it will have been her own idea and not because of peer pressure. She has a mind of her own and sticks to her guns. And even though it can make for some long discussions where I'm having to repeatedly clarify who is the parent and who is the child--I never want to squash that part of her personality. So while there's still a scary chance that I've passed the boy crazy gene on, she's tough and fun, kind and smart. Thoughtful, creative and just plain cool. Happy Birthday girlfriend and here's to hoping that dad and I are only lame 50% of the time.
10 comments:
Hey Mel — just found your blog. I love it. Your kids are hilarious (which I'm sure they get from you :)
I hope everything is going well for you!
— Jessie Gower
so cute! what a nice tribute to your little girl. i'm sure you guys are cool more than 50% of the time!
Happy Birthday Hannah!! The baptism was so great today and she looked beautiful! When she walked in, Aiden whispered: "Her dress is beautiful" But of course was too shy to actually say it to her!
BTW, yes I'm sure she thinks she will be the next Mrs. Efron, and to save you the embarrassment before you meet your new son-in-law, you spell his name Zac...the 'k' is SO retro....(haha, not really XELA!)
Happy Birthday Hannah! I agree with Beth today was great! Hannah is such a special girl and I loved your tribute to her. We are in some serious trouble with these girls aren't we? We can only hope they get our "good qualities" and not pay us back for all the bad things we did as a child.....wait what bad things????? Anyway happy birthday and Beth we are bringing back the cool way to spell Zach! :)
I am astounded at what you can remember at such a young tender age. My memories are more like flashes of pictures in my head, and there is no way of telling what age I was. At the same time, I do remember some kind of "girls chase boys" game, and that might have been around the same age... I think I was in 3rd or 4th grade. Keeping a diary would have helped, I just never could stick with it. Happy belated birthday Hannah, know that your mom is way less than 50% lame. Maybe 25%. :-)
i always tell people that my long term memory is astounding, but if it gets stuck in my short term, it's a lost cause. the end result is that i can remember kindergarten, but not someone's name that they told me 5 minutes ago.
Thanks for the vote of confidence with the lameness factor, i fear it will increase as my kids become teenagers. between the ages of 13 and 17, thinking your parents are complete dorks is like the law or something.
Love the blog as always. I can't wait to meet your little girl one day!
It has been 5 days since you blogged. Maybe I should call you a blog slacker or whatever it is you called me!
Happy Birthday Hannah Bee! Sorry it's late. I love the family picture.
Melanie, I absolutely loved reading about my eight year old friend!!! And you did a wonderful job capturing Hannah. One of my favorite posts! A+
Post a Comment