
I had been looking forward to this one. I am a big fan of Ricky Gervais. He could just stand there and I could start laughing. There's actually a scene where he's joking around with Tea Leoni's character and I swear it looks like she is just genuinely cracking up because he's such a riot. The trailer is so so funny, that I had high expectations going into it, and we didn't feel disappointed. A cranky, introverted dentist played by Gervais actually dies for "approximately" 7 minutes during a routine procedure. The result being that he can now see spirits who are still lingering with unresolved business here on Earth. Greg Kinnear plays a spirit with unresolved issues with his wife that lives in Gervais's apartment, who, it turns out, he's been really rude to. Gervais is not exactly Gerard Butler, so it was interesting to see how this was going to play out as a romantic comedy. On some levels it didn't totally work, but it was really sweet, funny and we recommend it!
(we changed the ranking system to 5 as the highest instead of 4. And yes, that would be half a Hugh for 3.5 Hugh's:)







I go into this with a bit of bias. I tend to think Shia LeBeouf, movie wise, can do no wrong. He was a contender for my raking system, but Hugh's Australian accent ultimately tipped the scales in his favor. From Holes, to Disturbia, Transformers and even the somewhat disappointing Indiana Jones, he has always been fantastic. All the things you like about him are in Eagle Eye, so if you are a LaBeouf fan, you will like this movie. Raleen feels a bit mixed about it, and I can see why, even though I think I enjoyed it more than she did. It has all the elements to make it this super action thriller, but somehow the pace of the movie is more of a good steady jog, than a can't-catch-your-breath-race. A friend of ours, teenaged son, declared this to be the best movie ever so, take that as you will depending on what age bracket you empathize with more. The lead actress is the actress who was opposite Patrick Dempsey in Maid of Honor which we hated, and she just kind of bugs us. While this movie does confirm some of my irrational anxieties that our dependency on technology will end in world destruction, it does make for an overall entertaining movie.









Okay, if you have testosterone or have never owned a uterus, you probably won't enjoy this movie. Raleen and I bawled like babies. The whole first part of the movie Raleen kept saying, "This seems so familiar. Was this a TV movie or something?" I must have said, "No, but it's a book," like 12 times to which she would respond, "no, no, that can't be it.." 20 more minutes into the movie she says, "Oh yeah! It's a book! I've read it! It ends with--" I will spare those who don't actually want to prematurely know how the movie ends. Although not the meatiest roles for Gere or Lane, and a tad predictable, if you are a hopeless romantic and at least 30 or above, this movie will do.




On deck: Flash of Genius, and Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
10 comments:
Do you guys have a frequent viewer account at Harkins or what?? I'm really disappointed with the low ratings for nights in Rodanthe...I was hoping it would be fab. You guys are really hard to please...have you ever rated a movie 5 Hugh's?
I'm feeling really out of touch. I'd never heard of any of these movies! I also didn't recognize the name Ricky Gervais, so of course I looked him up. The Office! Ack! I cringe and laugh simultaneously when I think of him. I'll have to see that one. Eagle Eye looks promising, too. Thanks for the tip!
Mandy, The Dark Knight got our highest rating, but so far, that's been the only one! they haven't been churning out winners lately.
Kristina, aren't you an Office fan?? have you seen gervaise on the bbc version?
i love the rating system. i'm excited to hear what you think about nick & norah's. if it's anything like juno then i'll be giving it 5 sawyers (as in LOST sawyer.)
Yes, Office fan here! In fact, I prefer the BBC version. I like Steve Carell, but he's slightly normal, so I do more cringing than laughing when he does something stupid. But Gervais.... he's so horrible that I feel no remorse about laughing at him. He's great.
Sounds like great rentals! Unfortunetly I never rent movies anymore. Can I sign up with you guys to receive a notification?
It is so fun to read your reviews Mel!
Hi jen!!
Kristina, i think it was the emmy's a couple years ago and ricky gervais was a presenter and he said how he wished he could be steve carrel. he wanted to be himself and get paid twice as much for it! so funny.
all i have to say is that hugh is freakin gorgeous. i need that picture for a screen saver. thanks for that...and oh and for the movie reviews too.
You make me laugh!! Boy how many movies do you guys see in a week? I would be asking for discount passes. maybe you should seek employment from the theater!! Great review!
Post a Comment