Well, since there is so much, and since people have been emailing since our plane landed, asking where the NY posts are, (I got home at 2 am people!) I thought I would post in segments. And believe me, I will make it worth your while. And as a teaser, I am so glad we got pictures to help document the last night because you WOULD NOT believe me if I just told you.
Our flight left at 6 am so, yes, that would have me getting up at 3 am, in order to get ready, pick up the other girls and head to the airport. I set 3 alarms because I was sure I was going to sleep through it. After making it into LaGuardia Airport, prayers were answered and all luggage made it there safely, we got approached by a "driver", named Victor, who said he had an SUV and would only charge us 75 dollars to get us to our hotel, and would give us a terrific route so we could take pictures. Just so my mom is appeased, we did hesitate. This was NY, and we were aware of the fact that we were pretty clueless. Was this a well known plot where women get tricked out of 75 bucks and dumped in the East River?
But Victor and his route were fantastic. We drove through Queens, and over the Queensboro Bridge, also known as the "Spiderman Bridge", since it was the one used in the movie. (My geeky comic book hero side was so giddy it was ridiculous.)




Ok, so we get to our hotel,
And Jill has packed some girly girl preparations. I mean, how could we walk around the city, go to our first show on Broadway, and not give ourselves exfoliating hand and lip treatments? After getting dolled up, we ate dinner at Docks, had oysters for the first time, then headed on foot and made our way through Times Square, to our first show of ultimately 4 for the weekend: In The Heights.
Now, in order for you to fully appreciate later things that occurred over the next four days, you need a tiny bit of back history. This show was essentially what spurred this trip. Beth has this soundtrack memorized, had inflicted it on all of us, built this whole trip around going to see it while it was the original cast, and is the hugest fan of the lead, Lin-Manuel Miranda. (this is the phrase I finally came up with, although the words, obsessed, and crazed seemed to come to mind first) You must understand the "hugeness" of her fan worship of Lin-Manuel, it's vital to the story. Here's a little video I shot, right before the show started.
(This is the only video that seems to be loading slow. If you watch it twice it won't pause.)
In The Heights was incredible, incredible. No words could do it justice. We made a bee line for the stage door to stalk, i mean...somebody get me a thesaurus....wait for the stars of the show for autographs and pictures. The highlight for Beth was of course, getting to meet Lin-Manuel, and as you can see from the pictures, we talked with him, even made him laugh. It's all icing from here on out really.
Beth looked as though she had slept with a hanger in her mouth her smile was so big and permanent. A true trip highlight that should have ended there, but it didn't. More to come.
Beth, "Sonny" and Me
Beth and me with "Benny" and below, Jill with her favorite dancer of the night:)
So, high on our buzz from meeting and chatting it up with the cast, we wanted to go and get this "famously talked about" frozen hot chocolate from Serendipity's. Andrea is tired and calls it a night and heads off for the hotel. We try a couple meager attempts to secure a taxi, but at this point, our feet are sore from wearing our heels around all night, and we impulsively flag down what I guess is referred to as a bicycle taxi but what later was infamously referred to as the "death buggy." It looks like those little trailers you pull behind you on a bike where your kids ride. Because I love you, I managed to hit the record button on my camera to get footage after I could see that this was going to be a spectacle, and also that this could very much be the last footage of us alive. Just the very act of getting us in and situated in the death buggy was crazy, and inadvertently held up a firetruck. Surviving not getting rundown by the FDNY was only half the battle. Then we had to not fall out into rushing NY traffic. Have a look, at what I'm calling "Ode to the Death Buggy."
A cool picture caught as we rode along...

We made it to Serendipity's and survived the near heart attack that accompanied what our bicyclist was charging us. But then realized he had pulled us 20 blocks, so you have to hand it to the man, plus we were all feeling good to be alive.





Tired and ready to cut my feet off at the ankles since we had all worn highly impractical heels to walk around the whole night, we all but threw ourselves in front of an empty taxi to take us back to the hotel.

Upon getting back to the hotel and recounting our wild night, we disrupted Andrea's quiet soul searching and scripture study:) (yeah right!)
And that was only the first day. We still have so much, including the highly entertaining game we played, "who can spot the biggest freak." I will tell you, we found a winner. More tomorrow.
A cool picture caught as we rode along...
We made it to Serendipity's and survived the near heart attack that accompanied what our bicyclist was charging us. But then realized he had pulled us 20 blocks, so you have to hand it to the man, plus we were all feeling good to be alive.
The general consensus, even though Serendipity's is charming and totally NY so I loved it for that, the frozen hot chocolate, that was featured on Oprah, recommend by friends, and what we risked our lives in the death buggy for, was...eh. Tasted like you had poured hot chocolate on a snow cone if I'm being honest.
For sale while you wait...I think it goes under the category, only in New York.
Tired and ready to cut my feet off at the ankles since we had all worn highly impractical heels to walk around the whole night, we all but threw ourselves in front of an empty taxi to take us back to the hotel.

Upon getting back to the hotel and recounting our wild night, we disrupted Andrea's quiet soul searching and scripture study:) (yeah right!)
And that was only the first day. We still have so much, including the highly entertaining game we played, "who can spot the biggest freak." I will tell you, we found a winner. More tomorrow.
14 comments:
i will just be hitting copy and paste for my blog, thank you very much!
I am laughing so hard @ the recap of our death buggy and how we could not stop laughing!
And OH MY HECK, I will never get tired of our little meet and greet with LMM...MAGICAL!
I totally cannot wait!! Did you go into a back room in China town??
can't give it away yet, gotta keep you coming back for more!
Loving this! Looks like so very much fun! I want to go next time FOR SURE! Sorry to dissappoint, Beth already told Launa and I the fabulous story of your last night in NYC.....AMAZING! Readers....wait in anticipation....
OK already. Can you just write through the night.This is like a good book!
I can't believe you were 1 1/2 hrs. from me and didn't email, call (my cell is still Texas #)...I'm way jealous! Sounds like y'all had a great time. There's nothing like having friends you can be your real "geek" self with! YES, that does mean I'm classifying all of you as geeks, in an affectionate friendly way. Seriously though, wish I could've joined you. Can't wait for the next thread...
What a great trip! Bummer about the iced hot chocolate. The picture makes me so NOT want to try it. And those rickshaws are totally "death buggies"! If you think they are scary in NY try India!
Anyway, more please! Are you going to do reviews of all of the musicals/plays that you saw?
Yay! Glad to have you back. Looks like you had a ton of fun. I'm looking forward to the next installments. The rickshaw brings to mind images of Seinfeld. Kramer about his wacky idea to have the homeless pull the rickshaw: They're always walkin' around the city. Why not just strap something to them?!
on with the last night story already! i'm waiting with anticipation. :)
alan, that's a great idea to do a more detailed review post of the musicals! you and kristina have me totally laughing about the "rickshaws." i totally remember that episode of seinfeld.
mandy,
hey girl! glad to see our geek shines through! there WILL be a next time in NY and i will definatly call you!! you are so lucky to be so close to it all.
Welcome back Mel, I forgot you were going to NYC. It's funny you would have a picture of the Jesus Action figure, I saw those all the time when I was in NYC. It seems to be iconic for the city, though they can be found here in Cali. as well. He came with floating action, basically little wheels on his feet to make him look like he was hovering. How long was your wait at Serendipity? When I ate there it was about 2 hours, but I sat at the same table where they filmed the movie. Very cool.
you know, we got right in. i'm pretty sure it was almost midnight though, so that probably makes a difference! A Jesus with floating action?? lol, what will they think of next?! that's too good.
Wow looks like you guys had a fantastic time... I'm so jealous!!! Did you guys stay in the city? You didn't go see Joey in Grease?? Can't wait to hear who the number one freak of the weekend was?!?!
i DID see joe! i'm just posting in installments. they're all up now, check out the pics of joe on the latest one! i texted mel from the show, but my phone is new and i didn't have your cell in there anymore.
Post a Comment