Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Like Father, Like Daughter

It's just so funny to me that we spend so many years seeking out our identity, pushing boundaries, testing limits, trying new things, just in the offchance that we'll discover, on even the smallest level, who we are and what we're all about. Time passes, and you are finally the adult version of yourself you've fought to be and within a short amount of time, you realize after all the soul searching what you are is... your parents. Didn't need to backpack through Europe, didn't need to take all those philosophical classes in college, didn't need to rebel or whatever else we did to grasp our identity. Quite frankly, we just needed to show up to the dinner table. You see, I am my father. I kept thinking that as a grown woman I would naturally start to see myself resemble my mom. So imagine my surprise as I have the epiphany standing in a Walgreens that, no,no, I am my dad. Although I've had a few indications over the years that this was the direction I was heading, my epiphany in Walgreens came when I walked in and the cashier sees me and calls out,

"Oh, hey Mrs. Taylor how are you?"
"I'm doing good Randy, how are you?"
"Good, good, just working you know."
"Well, you don't usually work weekends, did you get called in?"
"Just changed shifts with somebody. So are you running again or are you still doing that boot camp thing?"
"Oh, I'm doing a little of everything, how about you, you still riding your bike?"
"Yes, I'm training now. Thinking about entering some races."
"Well, good luck with that! I better get my milk before the kids get cranky for their cereal."
"How are your kids liking school?"
"Oh, really good, just really busy, I should bring them in so you can see how big they're getting!"
"Oh great, ok, well see you next time!"
"See ya Randy!"
Growing up, few things mortified me more than the fact that my dad was on friendly terms with every cashier, every banker, mailman, or drive-thru attendant we came across. He couldn't just walk into a store, buy what he needed and leave. Oh on. When asked the generic question by a cashier of, "And how are you doing today?" my dad would glance at their name tag and then say, "Well..Debbie, I'm doing good..." and then proceed to tell her why he was at the store, what he was buying, why he was buying it, where he grew up, the fact that he had 7 kids and on and on until before he left they would part as if him and Cashier Debbie were longtime friends. On return trips he could even ask followup questions.
"So, Debbie, how is Johnny doing in his algebra class, still having trouble?" Unreal. And to a 13 year old, very embarrassing.
As I bought my milk in Walgreens, the earth slowed in rotation as I had a moment of clarity. Just the week before I had had a conversation with a Wendy's drive thru employee. I know that this employee works two jobs, that he is trying to pay off his car. That his girlfriend and him go to the same college and that his dad just had major surgery. AHH!!
I knew in that moment, just as I knew that Randy and his wife's new favorite restaurant was called The Patio, that I was my father. I like sappy movies, I like the Discovery Channel, I can only tell a story from the beginning and must give all details involved. (My dad will tell us stories from his childhood and will always say, "So, when we lived in Fresno California.." Yes dad. We know where Fresno is.) I don't say, "how are you doing?" i catch myself saying, "how the heck are ya?!" I tell cornball jokes to my kids, I tell them to eat all their food because there are starving children in the world who would be grateful for their food.
Yes, my name is Melanie, and I am my father. And even though that means there may be moments down the road where my children will pretend they don't know me... I guess I really couldn't ask to be anybody better:)

23 comments:

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

this is too funny! My dad does the same thing and it mortifies my mom most of all!

I just see it as really caring about people, and that is Melanie Taylor in a nutshell...she'll do anything for you, with you, or because of you without you even knowing it! I'm going to have to say hi to randy next time I hit Walgreens!

Anonymous said...

So, I read this to your dad and he got 'allergies.' Then he said, "I don't talk to everyone, do I?" I gave him one of those looks, like 'are you kidding me?' He laughed and said, 'ya, I guess I do.'
Then he tried to deny the whole sappy movie thing, he couldn't deny that either-you have him pegged!! My greatest joy is to see the best parts of him, be the best parts of his children.-except for the corny jokes. Seriously, we need to put a stop to those! (At least you aren't saluting everyone! Will said he knew he became his Dad the day he saluted someone instead of waving!!)

Ben and Stephanie Taylor said...

I think more of us should be like you and your dad. Knowing people and caring about them makes us better people. I think your mom once said (recently) that children can never have too many people to love them. I think you can stretch that to include all people. We can never have too many people to care about and love us! Hope your kids turn out like you (and your dad) too!

Ben

texaswilliams said...

Mel, This is so darling and funny. It made me cry and I am not even family...yet! ;) I think when you print this blog you need to sell cpoies. You make me laugh and who knows you may be the next...what's her name??? Stephanie Myers!!

Melanie said...

lol, meyer! will you please read that 4th book already?? and mom...i've saluted.

Jamie Anderson said...

Love this post Mel! And I am so happy to be a part of such a wonderful family. You guys are awesome! Will also tells REALLY corny jokes!!

Jamie Anderson said...

O and Will also uses the phrase, "geographically speaking!" Ha, love that one!!

Melanie said...

oh man, dad could patent that phrase!

Lindsay said...

so funny, why are you not a humorous author making tons of money? seriously. i listened to your playlist and i agree, we both have awesome taste in music. esp. liked the aqualung and chris brown (sytycd) song.

It's just Barb said...

I love this post! You are a great writer. And I think I have a lot in common with your dad! I'm much the same way. You probably don't know me. I'm married to Robert, Dawn's bro. I was glad to see you have a blog. Oh, and I love you sidebar quotes from you kids. They are adorable. Makes me miss having young kids--enjoy them!

Melanie said...

Hi Barb! Great to hear from you on the blog, so glad you found us!

texaswilliams said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
texaswilliams said...

Myers..Meyer what's the diff... I can't bare the 4th book sister!! The cliff notes were enough for me. Now you write a book and I will read it cover to cover. no cliff notes I promise!!

Love ya,
Stacey

Amy C said...

While I was reading this, at first I thought, "Wow, Melanie must go to Walgreens a lot!" But now I see that you're just very chatty ~ with an elephant memory! I recall meeting your dad for the first time and he did ask me lots of questions and was super easy to talk to. You are the same way; and like your mom too in that you have something about yourself that is so attractive that people are drawn to you. You guys are like magnets!

JenJ said...

AHH! Those were some sweet comments from Amy. I love your post Mel! I agree 100% ! Everyone needs Melanie in their life.

kristi said...

What a great compliment to your dad!

kristi said...

What a great compliment to your dad!

stina said...

Your dad is great. I'm glad you've embraced your similarities!

Lauren said...

Mel this was such a sweet (and funny) post! I find myself doing things and I think, "that was just what my Mom (or Dad) would do/say." Nate will even pipe up and say, "your Dad would be proud of that one" (when I make some "witty" remark. :)

I think you're a great person, so...cheers to your Dad (and Mom too, of course)!

The Brickman said...

That's not supprising coming from the Queen of the bolgs. I'm not sure there are any blogs that I have ever visited where my comment didn't have to be posted somewhere below yours.

Melanie said...

lol, you've got to get up pretty early in the mornnig to beat me in the comments race:)

Anonymous said...

Mel this was so adorable. My mom is very similar, I admire your interest in other people. I need to take more of an interest in other people. You probably don't get road rage because you are like "oh that is Sue from the bank who is dealing with [insert situation], it's ok if you cut me off" Just kidding, but really I think that is a great part of who you are. loved this one.

Unknown said...

These are some of the qualities that make you so great. But you do have some of your own too! Seriously need to look for a part time job as a columnist!