Thursday, September 25, 2008

"Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something."-Wesley (Princess Bride)

I debated saying anything. REALLY debated. If I say it out loud then I'm as good as committing myself to it and that, my friends, is terrifying. The race. The big one. The 26.2 beast that can make me break out in a cold sweat just thinking about it. I've all but decided to train and run the Cowtown Marathon again. Why you may ask; and it's a more than valid question. I ran this race February 2 years ago and, barring childbirth, was the most physically challenging thing I have ever done. And with childbirth, mind you, I had an epidural. (I looked into a runners epidural and was hugely disappointed that not only does it not exist but would be highly dangerous and illegal. Doctors. Always so skeptical.)
The race is one element to the whole experience, the training is the other. Not only is it hundreds of miles and a huge time commitment, but a crazy-wicked emotional and mental roller coaster of amazing highs and lows. Some days you feel like running is the most amazing and freeing experience in the world. You suddenly want to pull a Forest Gump and "just-keep-run-ning." The very next day, you can get 4 miles from home and start having a panic attack because you are hating every horrible minute of it but the only way home is to run.
At about 3am, on the day of the race, I woke up to thunder and pouring down rain. I remember laying in bed and just starting to laugh. Of course it would rain. It seemed poetic somehow that as prepared as you can feel for something, life can always throw you a last minute curve ball. The race 2 years ago, (who I ran with my friend and just an amazing human being, Becky) was definitely one of those life markers we have occasionally in our lives. where we walk away from it knowing that we are changed somehow. The race broke me down physically and emotionally, but somehow left me whole. The road becomes your worst enemy, your therapist, your sanity, your teacher, an oddly, even your good friend.
In attempts to not sound too philosophical, and to answer the question of why, I would just say that I look forward to learning things about life and myself that only the road and my Asics can tell me.

Mile 13



Mile 20

(Soaked to the bone) The final .2 of 26.2

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at you go! And, with a smile too...true Melanie form...always a smile on your face!

Remember my friend, Megan, from McDonalds? She is training for a marathon too...if you want a running buddy. Megan is AWESOME & you will love spending itme with her...she is a great lady! Just tell me if you want her number.

Anonymous said...

P.S. I finally got my copy of Breaking Dawn & was up reading till 3 am...YES, 3 in the morning!!! What kind of mom does that? I was asleep on the couch as soon as Honor went to kindergarten at noon.

Oh, I also got Outlander at your recommendation so I have something to "eat" when I am done with Meyer's books. Couldn't find the other books...what was her name? The vamp ones you liked?

Melanie said...

i'll tell you what kind of mom does that...this one! are you loving it?? sooo glad you picked up outlander. you will have to tell me what you think of both. charlain harris was the other author and i think you have to go to the science fiction section to find her. send me megan's number, I do have a partner, but would love to talk with her about it!! happy reading:)

Lauren said...

You are AWESOME! I think that is so great Mel! Maybe SOMEDAY I'll try my hand, er, foot at a marathon. I still think "I'm not a runner," though, you know? But, I do think I'd like to give it a go sometime. Go Mel!

I run a few nights a week, so maybe we could run together sometime! But, I usually just run 4 miles (a marathon that does not make). :)

Amy C said...

HA!! Jackson with claws ~ that's what you guys need! LOL! Do you think he's channeling Jacob??

Anonymous said...

You are crazy! But, we will be there with bells, whistles and embarassing signs, following you all along the way!!!!

Anonymous said...

...did I read correctly, that you recommended a Sci-Fi book? I am so happy that you like that genre, cuz now you can come over Fri. nights and watch Stargate with me!!!

Melanie said...

we will never agree on what constitutes sci fi!! besides, i thought stargate was "action adventure.."

Anonymous said...

Oh, it is. There is plenty of action and adventure. I just got my hopes up when I read the book was in the Sci-Fi section. A mother can dream!

Unknown said...

Congrats Melanie! What a huge accomplishment!

Andy Norman said...

I don't get it, why would you want to recreate this:

He [Pheidippides] then ran the 40 km (26 miles) from the battlefield by the town of Marathon to Athens to announce the Greek victory over Persia in the Battle of Marathon (490 BC) with the word "Νενικήκαμεν" (Nenikékamen, 'We have won') and died on the spot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pheidippides

Melanie said...

i didn't know he DIED! lol, maybe he didn't have good shoes?? they say it's all about the right shoe...i do have a healthy awareness of how crazy i am. the first time you can claim ignorance, the second time, you just have to be insane:) but i just heard word that caroline and daniel are going to train and run the race as well. so it must be hereditary!!

kristi said...

DO IT!!! Maybe it would motivate me to be your running buddy!!

Anonymous said...

I just hit the treadmill last night... I forgot how much "fun" it is. Congrats, that is a major accomplishment. I only eeked out 3 miles last night, and my finger tips hurt.

Unknown said...

AWESOME! You go girl! That actually reminds me to sign Tim up for the Mini next year, I will stick with the 5K...hope to do the mini the year after though. Not sure I will ever work up to a full marathon though...Need to make sure my knee can handle a 5K first. ;)

Xela said...

You go girl! I admire anyone who can do such a thing. I myself would surely DIE! But I will cheer for you for sure!

Becky said...

I know this comment is late in coming. But you forgot to mention that we ran an "ultra" marathon together!!! Don't forget the detour they made us take--the one that the faster runners didn't have to run.