


I think I can officially blog about Caroline, sister and best friend extraordinaire leaving for college without becoming an emotional mess. No promises, I just think I'll be okay. We had to eat at Costa Vida before she left; one of our favorite haunts to eat and dish on what is going on with our lives. We are trying not to laugh in this picture having just frustrated the nice lady who agreed to take our picture. I kept telling her the wrong button to push and by the third, "whoops, i mean this one" you could tell she was done going the extra mile.
Over our favorite quesadillas we talked about how much fun she was going to have at school. We recalled that it had been 8 years since our little family arrived running on fumes to this strange land of Texas. By blessing and good fortune, my family had also moved here the year before. In a time of change and the unknown, leaving the comforts of family and familiarity of Utah, we had an anchor. Caroline was 10 when we moved here and I was pretty much the "older sister who left home when she was 6 and visited once a year." You never fully appreciate how much the Lord looks out for you and blesses you with things so great; you could never have even known to wish it for yourself. In moving to Texas, I was given my sisters. Stephanie marrying a Texan is here often, and Caroline has never been more than 10 minutes down the road. When the 3 of us are all together it can range from the sentimental, to giddy, to the downright obnoxious for those around us. I'm appreciative that there is an unspoken agreement between sisters. It goes something like: Even if you take my clothes and get into my makeup without asking, still,nobody better mess with you, or they will have to mess with me. Even if I think i know best and tell you as much, it's only because I love you and you'll forgive me for being a know-it-all. There will always be ice cream involved in any late night talks, and it's understood that any lame things we say after 1am are completely hilarious. I will never judge you but I will be the only person to tell you if those jeans really do make your butt look big. Even if there are times I'd like to throttle you, I will also defend you to the nines and love you no matter what. My sisters are a huge comfort to me and I miss them something awful when they're away, but look forward to the times we get together knowing that we have so much time to catch up on and that it will feel like it has been no time at all.
"Sisters don't need words. They have perfected a language of snarls and smiles and frowns and winks - expressions of shocked surprise and incredulity and disbelief. Sniffs and snorts and gasps and sighs - that can undermine any tale you're telling." ~Pam Brown
12 comments:
so true! my life would not be the same without my sisters. there's nobody in the world that gets you like they do. good luck to your sis!
I know how close you are with your sisters and this move of Caroline's is going to be tough for you. Who said she could grow up anyway??
i'm with amy! it really would have been okay if Caro stayed 12! thanks for being such a great sister and thanks for your thoughts-it was really sweet and brought tears to my eyes! i love you too!
How great to be so close to your sisters, sisters are AWESOME!!!
First off Mel you look gorgeous in that picture! It was totally worth annoying the lady! :) Okay sisters are AWESOME! No one knows you like a sister does. It is just the best. I sometimes have sadness for my Elena that she will never know what it is like to have a sister, but hopefully having 2great, awesome, wonderful brothers will make up for it! (and a cool mom, right?)
I'm so sad for you that she is leaving! I can't believe she is that old.
Love the new pics, love the new Abe quote, and love U2's version of Unchained Melody - had never heard it. (can i put it on my blog?? :-) Just kidding!!)
Holy Cow, Lanie, you have a Cult song on your ipod! They are like the best band EVER! Ciao Baby!
how have we known each other 8 years and I never knew you liked The Cult? She Sells Sanctuary is my all time favorite song to run to. The U2 version of unchained melody is really hard to find. i believe it's a bonus track. if you love it, put it on your blog, i'd never keep bono away from anyone!
I love the kid talk quotes. Please keep'um com'n as they come trippingly off the tongues of your children.
I love this post! My sister is too far away! It's hard, but we talk on the phone, e-mail, etc. and that makes it a bit easier. I wish Caroline the best of luck at school.
Don't worry, any time you want to go talk/catch up at Costa Vida, I'm here for you. :)
Really, I'm here any other time too. That's what us "Texas sisters" are for!
The above comment is actually me, but you probably already figured that out.
And I wrote it to be funny, but it's bothering me (grammatically).
It should say..."That's what WE "Texas sisters" are for." Ahhh, I feel better. Thanks for letting me get that out of my system!
Post a Comment