Tuesday, August 26, 2008

"The best cure for insomnia is to get alot of sleep."-W.C. Fields

I've always been a night owl. In high school it was how I was able to work 3-11pm as a telemarketer, do homework, get up at 5am for early morning seminary and then off to school. (Well, the getting up for seminary part was more my dad pulling me out of bed by my ankles and dumping me unceremoniously on my rear end. I didn't respond well to alarm clocks.) In college it was just the schedule of how one did things. You didn't even leave to go out until 10:30 or 11. My late night habits led to my dad endearingly referring to me as the "rock creature." My ability to sleep as long and deeply as one who lived under a rock is family legend. Growing up no one trusted that I would wake to fire and mayhem so my sister Stephanie's sole responsibility in an emergency was to make sure and wake me up. Those were the good old days. As a mom with several years of new babies, I have totally adapted to late nights, sleeping as light as a feather, ready to respond to any night emergency or sound, and then promptly go back to sleep. (Oddly, over the years Rhett has become a deeper sleeper, claiming complete oblivion to nightly sounds. I have remedied that problem with a swift kick to the calf.)
The point being (yes i do have one) is that I have always felt I could adapt my sleep patterns to what I need at the time, so to have spent this last week with what I could only describe as insomnia has been a strange experience that has left me feeling very drained. I don't think I have been to sleep earlier than 4am every night this past week. I don't feel tired, I'm not stressing or thinking about anything in particular, my Tivo list is painfully barren, I want to go to bed, I'm just plain wide awake. I have found it somewhat of a boring experience, if not totally frustrating. I've turned to books but I finish them before I get sleepy, I've drunk herbal tea, watched the news, caught up on all blogs and correspondence, end result: yeah, I'm still awake.
On a complete whim, I think I may have cured myself. I ended up at the gym around 9 last night and decided to swim laps. I used to be a certified lifeguard, and while not swim team material, a pretty strong swimmer nonetheless. Fast forward 12 years later of very lax swim conditioning (Does doing the wave pool at raging waters count at all?) and I thoroughly wore myself out. Came home, was in bed by 11:30ish and slept like a rock. Of course, because I seem to always need a healthy dose of irony in my life, Drew woke up with a fever and throwing up around 4am. But I'm hopeful that I'm cured. I may even keep up the late night laps for a while. Who knows, I may come out of this better rested and able to become strong enough to save lives again. I believe that is what is called a win win.

8 comments:

the letter "J" said...

I so hear you! My dad used to joke that I truly died when I went to sleep. He would come downstairs to a BLARING radio and a BEEPING alarm clock lying on my pillow next to my ear and me out cold!!! :o) Now I am litterally up at the twist of a door knob! Oh the joys of motherhood :o)

Anonymous said...

I commiserate. I suffered with insomnia with each of my pregnancies...the whole 2nd trimester sucked. By the time it was over, I would embrace the 3rd trimester with glee...big & huge is better than sleepless anytime!

I found scripture reading would help settle my mind...yes, I was awake, but I could be at peace. I came to really enjoy reading from the Psalms.

Also, if it's that bad you can always go to Walmart!

Amy C said...

The irony of Drew waking at 4:00 is just plain wrong, absolutely not fair, total Murphy's Law! But if this insomnia isn't cured, I have some busy work that I can send your way - Just Kidding! I hope you get some sleep girly. Also, love the new quotes on the side. You and Rhett are funny.

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

So, I'm hoping you got some sleep last night and that Drew is back to his happy self! If not, there are a ton of really bad rentals out there that we could totally rent and suffer through together!! You don't have to thank me...I'm here for ya!haha

Xela said...

Melanie, all that reading you do has helped you in becoming quite the writer yourself! I love reading your blog! I feel your pain, many times I lay in my bed just wishing for sleep to overtake me and of course those seem to be the nights that when I finally do go to sleep one of my dear children decide that is the moment they need me! Someday we will all get back all those sleepless nights, right?

Lauren said...

Lifeguard Melanie. I see it...totally. Maybe because I have. And I have pictures. Hey! There's an idea! I should post the camp lifeguard pictures on my blog! Maybe. But, I'm in them too, so that's a problem. :) I'm glad you found something to help with the insomnia. Swimming is truly a great sport. ;)

Melanie said...

lo-i forgot you had incriminating pictures! i thought i had all the copies, lol! that was so fun lifegaurding with you!! you should come swim laps with me. i won't be able to keep up with you, but i'd be fun!

xe-i don't think we ARE gaurenteed a make up for all these sleepless nights. once they're old enough to not need us in the night, we're waiting up for them! maybe retirement??

texaswilliams said...

YOu could just be like me and do the whole insomina thing with kids twice!!You make me laugh girl. Happy sleeping. I HOPE!!
sw