Sunday, June 15, 2008

Dad, how do we love thee? Let us count the ways...

I thought at first that I could email all my brother's and sisters and get their favorite memories of Dad and post them for Father's Day. Easy peasy right? Well, the memories came flooding in but what cracked me up was realizing that we all speak in Dad language even 30 years later. Whether it be some crazy game he has invented, a bedtime story he created at the drop of a hat, or a meal that he had concocted with leftovers, an egg and lots of garlic, my Dad will find a name for it. Here's a little bit of what we have held dear over the years. (And a helpful guide to all the dad-isms)

Pot-a game created in Ohio where base was our brick barbeque and the person who was "it" was the monster. The monster tried to tag people and bring them back to the "pot" to cook for his dinner.

Mergatroid-A fictional gorilla invented by Dad who got into countless shenanigans as he always tried to escape from the zoo.

Muck-The nickname given to meals he created. His muck has improved considerably over the years.
St.Patrick's Day Revenge-A Muck meal gone terribly terribly bad. Let's just say it involved tuna and broccoli and it has gone into the muck hall of fame. (or would that be shame?)

49er Zooma Pants-Awful, 49er colors, McHammer looking pants that dad would pair with a sweater, dress socks and Nike's and was truly lovin himself in that outfit. Mortified us on more than one occasion picking us up from a friend's house in that outfit.

"Abbra cadabbra, shalamazam, everyone on base has to scram"-You couldn't just know that it was time to leave base when we played tag or pot. Saying this was far more fun. (and i believe, required.)

Indian Frogs-I embarrased myself later in life by referring to a scone as "hey! yum, indian frogs!"

7 car pile up-Band put together by our dad. He would hold practice everyweek, and according to Caroline, continues to practice long after everyone has left. Recently they had a gig at Central Market to a packed house. You couldn't wipe the smile off his face if you tried!

Rapto Blasto-The new name given to the Jurassic Park video game that Michael and Dad would play. Rapto Blasto just seemed way more fitting and fun.

Lake Willaconda-lake in Uintah mountains named by Dad and the kids Old Testament style. They came, they discovered, they named it, "Lake Willaconda."

Dad's love for trout-I don't know if there is a way to explain this. My dad loves to fish even more than his old 49er pants. The man is drawn to the sea. That's not to say he is overly skilled at it. The fact that the catching part eludes him so often, keeps him wanting to fish that much more. Needless to say, many a camping trip in the Uintah's, it was trout for breakfast.

All the kids wrote numerous things about his late night talks, his devotion to family scripture study and prayer, countless games, stories, muck he would make, home teaching visits, concerts, his love for spontaneous jam sessions, teaching them how to play guitar, corny jokes told over and over like the first time, his incredible work ethic, daddy daughter dates, camping trips..It made me laugh and cry to really appreciate on this Father's Day how blessed we are as his family, to have him. I remember getting upset as a teenager and storming off to my room. I could almost count it down to the second when my Dad would knock on the door and want to come in for a heart to heart. As mad as I was, I always looked forward to the knock. Bottom line? Our dad is the coolest. We love you dad, and we all wish you a very Happy Father's Day.
love,

your very own, 7 car pile up:)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad loved it! He said it made his 'allergies' act up. Which, is Dad speak for crying!
Not all good husbands make good dads and not all good dads make good husbands, so thankful that I was able to marry a man who is both!This is great Meli-thanks from both Dad and I.

Melanie said...

i hope i represented all the kids well. if i overlooked a memory you really wanted posted, please leave in the comments for him. thanks for all your help guys!

Lauren said...

That is so sweet! What a great tribute to your Dad! Happy Father's Day!

Ben and Stephanie Taylor said...

(steph) Mel, that was great! My "allergies" acted up as well! thanks for putting that together. you rock, babe!

the letter "J" said...

What a cute tribute!! You are so thoughtful and creative!! If I wasn't older than you, I would want to be just like you when I grew up!!

Alan said...

Wonderful tribute!

JenJ said...

I love your family Mel! That pile up of all the kids is the best!

Xela said...

What a sweet tribute, it sounds like you had the best time growing up. I don't think I have met your dad yet, your mom is great :)

Unknown said...

Ya know what my favorite memory of your dad is? He taught me how to say "How are you Mr Anderson?" in Japanese. I still tell people that today, I think I can still fake say it but there is no way I can spell it! Thanks for putting up with all of Mel's crazy highschool friends Mr. Anderson! :)

texaswilliams said...

Melanie, I just love this!! You have a great Dad!

sw