Saturday, June 28, 2008

"Beam me up Scotty!"

Well, by no small feat of strength, we got ourselves packed and off to Utah to visit Rhett's family. And by we, I do mean me, as the Primary Trip Coordinator of the family. ( The family PTF! I just invented that title just now, I like it!) I will embrace my inner geek and let you know that growing up I faithfully watched Star Trek and later, the even more superior, Star Trek: The next generation. (I realize that fellow trekies may argue that point with me. All i can say is bring it on!) Anyways...One of my favorite parts was the transporter room. With one press of a button they were de-materialized and then re-materialized at the destination of their desire. I always think of Captin Kirk and his posse when I am sorting, doing laundry, shopping for travel odds and ends and packing 6 suitcases. (Although did you ever notice that they never took anything with them really? Not even a change of clothes. They couldn't be sure how long they would be staying. I mean, it was usually an uncharted planet. You don't think you would even need an overnight bag or something? I'm not judging, I'm just saying is all.)
Not only would it be so wonderful that whenever we were going somewhere you just called sweetly to your family, "okay guys, let's get ourselves to the transporter room!", but I kind of feel jipped that the technology does not actually exist. I don't know if you remember like I do, but I grew up with a great many implications that my generation was going to be blessed with superior technology. Flying cars was all but promised to me.
My dad when I was 12 (and i quote): "By the time you get old enough to drive, we'll probably be flying cars by then."
My driver's ed instructor: "So now, in a few more years you are probably not going to need all this information since you'll have cars that fly and such..."
On more than one occassion I was given the distinct impression that we would be so far advanced that by the time I was a young adult I would want for nothing. My house would greet me by name because it would recognize me by my retina scan, I would pay for things with a swipe of my fingerprint, food would cook itself but not before my house would ask me what I wanted it to make. And a transporter room? Standard in every house, no question.
Anyways, I don't usually feel bitter about the giant letdown until it's time to pack to go somwhere. It's possible that more than people gave me an impression of what life would be like in the future, perhaps I get too invested in the shows I watch. I can remember as a kid desperatley trying to fold my arms, close my eyes and nod my head in hopes that my room would suddenly be clean. It seemed worth a try.
In any event, we arrived safe and sound in Utah yesterday (despite the flaws in advanced technology) and are having a really fun time so far and I will keep you updated while we are here.

10 comments:

the letter "J" said...

Welcome to UTAH!! You are just in time for some record breaking heat, as if you're not used to the heat! Hopefully you have a nice stay, I will be out of commission for a while since we are having our baby Monday morning! Love ya! Julie

Amy C said...

I wanted to twitch my nose and have the bedroom lights turn off when I was already in bed...wait, I still want that!

Andy Norman said...

Funny, when you were leaving a comment on our blog we were laughing at the finger bitting on yours.
Can count how many times I tried to put my two index fingers together to freeze time. Does anyone remember that show?
Have fun it Utah. That's a lot of traveling considering you coming up to Washington in a couple weeks.

Andy Norman said...

Ok so it was driving me nuts so I had to find it. The show was called Out of This World and the pictures online were so late 80's that Beth pulled out her Debbie Gibson tape and we kicked up our heals with leg warmers on. Only after Beth crimped her hair. We maniacs, maniacs on the floor. We were dancing like we'd never... well you get the picture.

Melanie said...

LOL,Debbie Gibson!? i totally had her tapes, loved her! giving exception to the standards of fashion,(and i totally remember owning a hair crimper) the 80's were the best!!

Keller 1st Ward said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I hate to tell you this, but I was promised flying cars by the time I was 16! I wont tell you how many years ago that was:-)

Elisa said...

We are starting to pack/prepare for our summer vacation too...ugh...a transporter sounds fantastic. Glad you guys made it safely to Utah. See you in a few weeks.

JenJ said...

Why is travelling such an ordeal? It used to be fun didn't it?
The real kicker was the additional fee for pieces of luggage now....when you fly with 7, that really adds up!!

So I am ALL for beaming us up!!! Have fun on your trip!

Amy C said...

New quotes, very humerous You and Rhett are too funny!