Thursday, May 8, 2008

"Of Three Things I Was Sure..."

So this past summer, I'm pregnant in Texas..translation? Miserable. I'm in my last trimester just trying to get through each hot,muggy, water retaining day when my sister Caroline comes over with two good sized books for me. She starts talking a mile a minute about these "twilight books."

Caroline: "Okay, you are going to think i'm crazy but i have just read these books and they are THE best books i've ever read and you HAVE to read them and tell me that i'm not crazy because i love them, they are so great, and i need you to love them because i HAVE to talk to someone about them before i go insane don't think i'm crazy but it's about a vampire and his vampire family, but it's a love story and well, i can't explain you just have to read them so please please will you read them and tell me what you think?"

(Okay, so i'm slightly parapharsing here, but believe me, not by much)

Me:"Ohhh Kay...Did you have a 60 oz. slushy before you came here?"

Caroline: "No, i'm serious, just read!"

Me: "Okay i promise."

Caroline: "Ok, and that second book is a loner from a friend so i need that one back by Sunday."

Me: "Caro, it's Tuesday! How am i supposed to finish both books in 5 days?"

Not only had i finished both books by Sunday...I had gone out and gotten the third book in the series and finished that. I come out with my obsession now, because the fourth and final book in the seies is coming out in august, and the first movie comes out in december plus, (breathe) I keep coming across so much cool stuff about it that I can hardly contain myself anymore. I remember that it used to be a beating to go to the Harry Potter movies with my brother Eric because he was such an obsessed fan (love you buddy!). If something was different than the book he would very vocally and not softly, be disagreeable. Had read all the books numerous times which i could not comprehend even though I love Harry as well. Well, i have learned my lesson, tasted my own medicine, and every other coordinating cliche. I LOVE these books, i have read them over and over and I will probably be obnoxious to watch the movie with! To all who share my obsession, i know that i am in good company with this rant, and for all who have not yet read the series and are intrigued now to do so i have only two words for you. Your welcome.



13 comments:

The Sandoval Family said...

I so wish I could make the time to read books... I don't know how you do it. The movie preview sparks my curiosity though so I'll let ya know if for the first time in 10 years I decide to pick up a book and read it.

Melanie said...

steph, here is my reciepe for getting books read...read for two days, ignore all housework and buy lunchables for kids. on third day put book down, clean house, feed children food with less chemicals. repeat cycle as needed until books are finished! summer's almost here, ya gotta do it!! won't regret it.

stina said...

I'm with you. Thanks for the heads up on the trailer. I've been following Meyer's website occasionally, but hadn't noticed the trailer yet. The next book is what I'm most excited about. Lots of good stuff to wrap up.

Have you heard anything about her other series? The first book came out this week.

And your reading strategy sounds familiar - at least when its a really good book that I can't put down. Let the chaos reign for a few days.

Melanie said...

i know, book four is going to rock!i actually went out and got her new book the host earlier this week and i've just barely started it. so far so good. i'll keep you posted with anything new i hear and do the same:) good to hear from you, love your blog!

Amy C said...

The Best!! You expressed the Twilight Frenzy perfectly. PS: LUV your recipe!

the letter "J" said...

Way too funny. Melanie you crack me up!! I have not read any of the books, infact I have not picked up a book with more words than pictures for many years! :o) With all the hype about these books, I may just have to break the streak!

Anonymous said...

I keep meaning to read those books...all my friends are crazy for them. I want to, but part of me is afraid I'll be disappointed after all of the hype. Isn't that crazy?

The movie trailer makes me want to go buy the books though...so maybe I'll go do that this weekend!

Lauren said...

LOVE your post Mel! :) We must be on a brain-wave, huh?

Unknown said...

OH Mel, you are too funny with your recipe for reading books...but LOVE it! I had the same prob as Steph until this past year and now my nightstand is sitting with a pile of books. Problem is that they are all "self help marriage crap" or how to discipline your strong willed child. Hmmmm...I guess I have issues. ANYWAY...I could use something F-U-N. Maybe I will be a cheapo and check out the library for these "moonlight books". THANKS!

Ben and Stephanie Taylor said...

(steph not ben) the only thing different about our recipes is i ignore my kids/family/housework for a day and then stay up all night finishing the book and then ignore them the second day because i'm a zombie, but either way, it makes for some great reading! and with you babe! august 2nd can't come soon enough. although that is eden's birthday...how badly do you think it'll scar her if i read all day instead...j/k...sort of

Xela said...

Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!! Almost done with book 3, how is the new one?

Melanie said...

The host is really great so far! Now that i'm done with my lesson I can do nothing but read it, can't wait!

stina said...

Did you see the first chapter to Breaking Dawn has been released? Unfortunately, its so brief I didn't get too into it. Maybe that's a good thing. Then I won't obsess and pace the floor for 2 more months.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20203238,00.html