Friday, May 9, 2008

A Fistful of Treasures


You sweep and you vacuum. You vacuum and you sweep. Nothing makes you feel like more of a failure, as primary cleaner of the house, than having a baby who crawls. They find everything! They are attracted mainly to crumbs and trash. I have seen Drew crawl over toys to get to a microscopic piece of wrapper. Lately, (and i'm trying to not laugh at him too hard) he sees something random that he shouldn't have..he chases it...he gets it in his tight little fist...and then can't for the life of him figure out where it went! He looks all around, sometimes he looks at his clenched fist like, "Did it go in there?" but then kind of gives a smile like "Oh well, could of sworn there was trash here." This morning I saw he had one of Hannah's erasers in his hand so I went to fetch it. In both hands I found a small stockpile of trash he had collected but clearly forgotten about. I was beginning to doubt the theroy that babies are born with millions of extra brain cells, when I realized he probably has a secret stash somewhere of all his trash treasures! I'm going to open a closet one day and Drew's stockpile will come tumbling out:)

4 comments:

the letter "J" said...

So cute and very TRUE!! It won't be long until I am discovering little troves of "trash treasures" again! :o)

Amy C said...

Great photo! I can totally picture him holding those now.

kristi said...

Melanie -
You write so well - you make me laugh!! Jacob is now doing this same thing a lot!!

Lauren said...

I love it! It's so true! Simon, too, loves to find teeny tiny things. But, dare I admit this, a lot of the times, I find them in his mouth! I see him walk by and he just looks like something is in his mouth. I walk over to him and do the finger scoop. Sure enough, I'll find a tiny bit of something in there and I'm always relieved I got it before he choked on it (like a bead, or a penny, etc.). Although, I have found a little craft jewel in his diaper before. That was an interesting diaper change for sure!