Sunday, May 25, 2008

Brain Lapse to the nth Degree

Okay, it's official, having four kids has rendered the important parts of my brain useless. I'm no scientist, but if I had to guess, I would say the brain is divided up into 3 main parts. Stuff I need to remember, stuff I may be tested on later, random information that may help me if I ever end up on Millionaire or Jeopardy. I remember when I was younger, maybe 8th grade or so--someone used the phrase, "file it away for later" and it conjured up this image of a small version of myself running back and forth between filing cabinets in my head. Yeah, well, I must not have been paying her very well, because she has up and quit. I am forgetting everything lately! A mild case is when I'll remember and forget something on a pretty constant basis throughout the day and end up on the side of forgetting it. But at least on days like that I know my brain was trying. But lately it's like I forget things 100%. Poof. Gone. Not even a thought in my head till after the fact. Examples? Friday, I remember suddenly that I forgot to take dinner to a friend on Wednesday. Wednesday. The day is Friday and I'm just now remembering?? I literally call and leave a message of profuse apology on my way to a lunch with Rhett and one of his clients. Within 15 minutes of small talk with his client, the topic of end of the school year comes up. Offhandley I say how these last two weeks are just a big party, full of early release days. I'm saying, "Yeah, the last day of school is early release. Heck, today is early release. Wait. Today....today is early release oh my gosh I have to go!" Off I fly down the freeway to try and get my kids off the bus who will be getting there in 10 minutes. (A shout out to Beth for rescuing my kids!) It wasn't always like this. I know I've been reading alot of sci-fi lately but I'm begining to wonder if alien hosts taking over human bodies is not just fun late night reading.
Friends will ask me how it is having 4 kids. I tell the story about growing up, my brothers once jimmied the dryer door and convinced our youngest brother Michael that it would be fun for him to get in and go around and around. Yeah, I think it's kind of like that.
Well, if with each pregnancy my kids are absorbing some of my brain cells the silver lining is that they should all be geniuses. Hope your week has started off well and here's to hoping I remember more this week than last. Wait, what was I talking about again?...

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I am only 1/2 as bad as you...but I guess that makes sense since I only have 2 kids! Hope you had a good holiday weekend!!

The Sandoval Family said...

always puts a huge smile on my face to read your hilarious blogs.

Xela said...

I can so relate to this! I feel like I have always been a well organized person who really never forgets things, well that has all changed since #3 came, now I am forgetting things all the time! Here's hoping some of those brain cells return! :)

Lauren said...

You are just so funny! I just love you Mel! Thanks for helping us all know we're not alone! I forget things too! I used to be one of "those people." You know the type...never forgets a birthday, phone number, etc. - much less an appointment, a school project, and such!

You are so not alone! And I only have three kids! :)

kristi said...

Melanie - you are so funny! Although it does happen to me to, checking my calendar everyday helps..then I can remind myself of what is actually happening in my life!

Sharlene Enloe said...

I'm so right there with you. I've always told people that with each pregnancy I lose more brain cells. Last year they started late start thursday's at the boys school. One time I drove them to school and dropped them off. I got home and realized that it was late start. I called the secretary in a panic!

Amy C said...

You always know how to make me feel better! I can totally picture you at lunch realizing that you had to leave. LOL!!!!

Jamie Anderson said...

Oh my lol. Its mostly funny because i can picture what that looked like- you doing that whole exchange between you and your brain.

Being as how scatterbrained Jamie has been just being pregnant I am scared to see the level of memory deterioration with actual children.

Good blog Melly!

Ben and Stephanie Taylor said...

(steph) oh i know! i can picture your exact facial expression when the different pieces of info that your brain was processing finally snapped into place! i'll keep a look out on the shopper's network channels for this little gizmo that you can record important info that you dont' want to forget and then play and replay it to yourself throughout the day. hopefully i'll draw your name for next Christmas's gift exchange!