So let’s talk boot camp here for a minute. Now mind you, I signed myself up for this class at the gym of my own free will and choice. It sounded great on paper. A great workout for an hour every day; Results in 12 weeks. Then you GO to the class and you wonder how you are supposed to survive it for 12 weeks. Now granted, I’m probably one of the more woosey (correct spelling of woosey??) ones in the class. I try to cut myself some slack because I just had a baby. (Definition of “just”: 8 months ago. I’m milkin it for as long as I can thank you). Essentially you go for an hour, 5days a week and it’s (in the words of trainer Jillian) beatings, beatings, and more beatings.
Well, those beatings came to a head for me today, because an expletive came out of my mouth out of nowhere! I was so surprised by it because usually if I’m mad enough to cuss, I have the forethought to at least do it in my head! In addition, I was raised by a dad who's "swear words" consisted of "ga-dong it!" and "oh puppyspit!" We had just done a weight circuit and for the 2nd time we were going up and down 2 flights of stairs, 3 times, but this time the trainer says skip a stair on the way up. Skip a stair?? My legs were already rubber from the incline work we did on the treadmill the day before. Did you know a treadmill can go up to an incline of 12?? Yeah, me either. Till yesterday. So, I can only suppose this is what must have happened: My ears heard skip a step on the way back up, my ears told my brain, my brain told my legs and my legs told my mouth, “Aww @#$*!”
As much as I complain, (and I do, and probably will continue to) there is a sense of accomplishment to the end of every hour. It always amazes me what are bodies are capable of. Especially since during the workout there is a small part of my brain that tells me over and over, I may die. It never ceases to amaze that part of my brain at the end,that I did in fact live! Even now more so in my 30’s, (yes, I’m saying that now even though I’m barely in them) I have more of an appreciation of how my body serves me; especially when I’m pregnant and having babies. As horrified as I can be at it after, I honor my body for what it did to protect and nurture my babies to get them here safe and sound. It’s not my body’s fault I craved Chicken Express, and now I’m paying the piper in boot camp! My trainer says, “You will not change to till you push yourself a little past your limit.” I suppose that is true in most things we do.
Well, it feels good to rant a bit, get it off my chest so that I can go back tomorrow with a more positive attitude about the upcoming beatings, and hopefully, for my fellow boot campers sake, fewer obscenities...no promises.
12 comments:
When you told me you were doing this crazy boot camp, Holy @#$% went through my mind, so I must say I am surprised that it has taken this long for something to come out of your mouth!haha.
But really I am so very proud of you! I know that this class is so hard and is really kicking your butt, but when that butt looks great in the size jeans you want to be wearing it will all be woth it! Keep smiling :)
oooo, it sounds awful & I'm jealous! You'll be one hot Momma at the pool the is summer.
As far as milking the "I just had a baby" excuse...Adam is 18 months & I'm still trying to tell myself it's OK.
We are without a gym membership in this house now & I miss it. I was in such good shape while pregnant, working out every day...I only put on 19 lbs. with that preganacy.
The problem is, now I'm a flabby wreck! And, just too tired & busy to do anything about it.
That must be some hard work you are doing in boot camp, because I don't think in all the years I've knows you I've ever heard you say a cuss word.
Again, totally laughing! You have a way with words, girl - pun intended. Let's get some pictures of our beatings and post them...No maybe video!
Oh, and about the baby thing - I'm still carrying baby weight and bad eating habits from my "pregnancy" with Kitty. If it hadn't been so stressful I wouldn't have eaten all that ice cream that somehow has turned into donuts 2 years later. Hmmmm.
Hats off to you kiddo! Right now being 7 mos pregnant, I am not looking forward to the pipers bill! :o) Good for you for being so adventurous as to sign up for anything that sounds like ARMY TOURTURE!!
Julie
You are so tough! I LOVE it! Way to go Melanie! That'd be, uh, "fun" to do that together sometime. Really, you know I dig that kind of thing. I'm proud of you! What's the countdown?
(steph, not ben) does mom know you swore?????
Go Melanie! I had a session with a personal trainer on Friday and I am so sore. It even hurts to get in the car! But, hey, we are going to look great after 4 babies, whatever it takes!
Lori, Amen sister!!
and no steph, mom does not know i swore, let's keep it that way!
Ha ha ha! I think I'm more of a wuss. I don't have any excuses and I still don't do anything. Steph is 4 months pregnant and she exercises three times a week. Hope you don't die from "soap poisoning" when mom finds out!
I am SOOO proud of you girl!! Everyday would be the tough part...being sore from the day before! When my knee is 100% I really want to boot camp this #!@@ into shape. You inspire me!
Post a Comment