
I am back from YW camp and have done little else but shower and nap for the last 48 hours. 40 girls, 5 days, tornado warnings, mice infestations, sweating my body weight, being constantly dirty and smelly, Raleen's car falling into the river, and home with a smile on my face. Rhett sent me this picture of Drew and thankfully my phone didn't get service where we were. Was he trying to break my heart??
I have been to YW camp as a leader serving in Presidencies over the last few years, so when I got asked to be Camp Director for our ward I did one of those arm swipes, combined with a confident snort...no problem, piece of cake, what else ya got?
Boy, that whole "pride cometh before the fall" scripture is earning it's keep with me lately. Thinking I knew what went into being the one actually in charge of getting 40 people up and taken care of at camp just because I had gone in the past, is like passing firefighters on the street and being all, "Hmm, just stand there in a big coat and shoot water at the fire. I could totally do that, nothing to it."
Yeah. I'm an idiot.
The theme for this years camp was Dr. Seuss' "Oh the Places You'll Go." And did we ever go. The camp was spread out over what I can only guess was a small city. There was never just a quick jaunt up the trail. Take a buddy, your canteen and we'll see you in 10-20.
The camp required two Certified Lifeguards at the pool at all times. Who knew the decision to become a lifeguard at 15 would serve me that many years later. It's the second time at camp I've been able to offer up my lifeguard abilities, and it's the funnest place to be. Everyone is happy at the pool. Especially when it's 103 and 80 million percent humidity. (Thank you to my girls who faked a cramp so I'd have to jump from my lifeguard chair and "rescue them.")
By the end, everyone was exhausted but happy and somehow I walked away with the nickname "Gangster Sauce." Teenagers. They're funny!
I always maintain that nothing empowers women more than feeling loved. At the end of the day, I think that is why YW Camp is such a powerful thing. A concentrated time feeling the love of each other and their Heavenly Father. It's amazing stuff.
Now I'm back to my full time job of keeping four kids entertained in a Texas summer until our yearly trek to Utah. (Yeah!) With camp now over, the only scary thing left is what calling is next...
6 comments:
The only "calling" I have for you is to Indianapolis in August! Just wait until we ROCK this city! hehehe hahaha
Way to rock camp director though! Sounds challenging and awesome and fun and good for the soul. Can't wait to see some pics and hear a story on your story blog about teenagers at some point...right??
funny post mel!
You have a pool at your camp? Sign me up. That is my kind of camping.
how long is yw camp for you guys?
Tuesday thru Saturday for the YCL's and 4th years, Wed thru Sat for the rest of them. It's a long week, but fun!
Post a Comment