
As it unfolded in the day, these four were fast and hard to track. We felt a bit like cops chasing convicts. Speeding, taking side roads trying to cut them off, communicating by walkie talkies (cell phones)..."do you have the subjects in sight?" Stuff like that.



Mile 19 still looking good and strong.
Dan and Natalie at 19.
Kellianne at 7.
This was mile seven and we were lucky to catch them here. The purple tags are the half marathoners and the yellow are the full. We got ourselves trapped down on the race course where the half-ers break away from the full course. Before we knew what had happened we were cut off by a sea of purple and couldn't seem to get back to the kids till mile 16. They were also a bit too fast. I informed them that if they had wanted better pictures they needed to have slowed down! We got GREAT pictures at my race. I'm just saying.
When I ran the race a few years ago, my family was there following and cheering me on. Daniel would always be yelling out ridiculous sentiments of encouragement. About mile 13 he shouted, "Melanie! Take your pain, put it in an envelope and mail it to the finish line!" I'll tell you, I rarely ever get a chance to wax poetic. Sarcastic, Sardonic, all the time. Poetic? Hardly at all. You better believe I loved telling him to mail his pain to the finish line around mile 16. Sorry about the yelling and screaming in the following video we captured around mile 16. It's a tad obnoxious.
There are few things more emotional than running that final stretch of a Marathon. There are so many elements of the race that test the conditions of the human spirit. Hundreds of miles run during months of training. The highs and lows of strengthening and pushing not only your body, but your mind and spirit. Everything culminates into this perfect storm of excitement, anxiety, adrenaline, hope, despair, and finally accomplishment. To hear people screaming for you at the end that you did it, you really did it. Well. There are just few moments like it.
Here's our crew flying up to the finish line.
9 comments:
BOY!! You can't help but be impressed by that!! Way to go all of you!! Mel. I thogut you were running. Maybe I will just fly to CAl. and watch you! Another girl trip!Hey did you get your drop off LATE b-day gift!Love ya!
I am so jealous! My goal is to run the Mesa Fall marathon on Aug. 22.
But I thought it was so funny that Daniel's words of encouragement to you during your marathon were the same that Scott told me my freshman year during our championship ultimate game — it was freezing and after smacking the frisbee out of the air, I bruised my hand so badly that I couldn't move it. We didn't have any other girls to go in, so Scotty said this: "Jessica, I'm going to tell you the same thing coach Skorupa told the good runners. 'Take that pain, Put it in an envelope and mail it to the finish line.'" You better believe I finished that game. lol
That was such a fun day-crazy traffic and all! We did yell a little loudly...oh well-I'm sure everyone appreciated the cheers!!!??
Good for them. So are Daniel and Natalie getting married or what?
Wow, and I thought we were in shape. You guys are awesome!
I can't remember if we invited you to check out our blog. www.rjnorman.blogspot.com
thanks for posting pics mel!!
Oh wow, that is crazy it was so cold that morning. That is awesome they could run that marathon!!!
I can't believe you posted that picture of yourself in the sweatshirt! I was looking at it wondering, "who is that with Caroline, under the cloak of darkness?"
Post a Comment