Monday, February 16, 2009

Why My Kids Will Probably Need Therapy: Reason No. 23

I've decided to just make a running list of all my parental screw ups. While this may seem morbid and depressing, I think in the long run when I'm able to just hand over a list to my children's future therapist; I'd like to think I'd be seen as efficient.

We're at church on Sunday and Drew is, wait for the shocker--acting horrible during Sacrament Meeting. (First hour of three, with one more week until the sweet release of Nursery for the last two hours.) Rhett happens to be on the end of the row holding him, with the other 3 children in between us.

*Side note*--When Rhett and I were newlyweds we'd see couples who'd sit at church with their kids in between them and we'd make each other promise that we would never let that happen to us. Even if we had 10 kids, we would always sit and snuggle next to each other. I mean, why sit all the way across the pew from each other when the children could just sit next to us quietly and reverently?? How sad to let the romance die like that.

So Drew starts to squirm and fuss and Rhett gives me that quick glance of: Your week to take him out. I then put my hands up in an exaggerated (and kind of fake) shrug like: I would, but I'm stuck, see, I can't get out.

I then enjoy a lovely meeting with great speakers and a beautiful musical number. I walk out into the foyer after the meeting, filled with goodness and love for my fellow man, to greet Rhett who looks like he wants to tell me just what I can do with all my goodness. Fair enough. Drew has been awful he reports. Worse than the usual Sunday jitters.

"Did he eat this morning?"
"Yes! Of course!"
"Well something is off, he is acting crazy."
"He had to have eaten. You fed him after his bath right?"
"No. Did he eat anything after you dressed him?"

Yeah, we forgot to feed him. The poor thing isn't stir crazy, he's starving. My mom says there's something to that fourth child. You're always forgetting stuff. She pointed out that our family's fourth is Eric and I'm all, "Oh yeah, we used to forget him at the church all the time!"

Bless his heart we really did seem to forget him places. You'd think with seven kids, it wouldn't be the same kid forgotten over and over. But oddly enough..... At least Drew will have someone to commiserate with when he's older. For now, if you happen to be at the church and see Drew walking around, and our car gone...call me.

Forgetting Eric one year after picking out a Christmas tree.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, my kid peed in the bushes at church on Sunday. Its all good.

stina said...

I LOVE your side note. The only way you can get away with that is if grandma is in your ward!

Jamie Anderson said...

oops! give him a big hug from aunt jamie, That should make it all better!

Tara said...

*mental note* Auntie Tara always need to have snacks in her purse/church bag.
You're right!! You kids WILL alway be at my house!! Hahaha!!

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

Hey, I just count it a success that all of your clothes were clean, and on in the right order! ( onall the kids, I mean...you my dear always look Fantastic!)

Gillian said...

Don't you love how all the "bad parents moments" always seem to revolve around church. That's when I always notice mine---kids missing shoes, wearing dirty church clothes, forgetting Primary talks, and of course, leaving someone behind. Something about getting everybody Sunday ready at the crack of dawn---it's inevitable!

Elisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elisa said...

Don't worry we all have those "I'm a horrible parent" days. Funny post. Also, I sent you an invite for our blog but I don't think I had the right email address. Email me at sabellee (it's gmail) so I can send it to the right address.

It Just Fitz said...

Melanie,
Reading your blog always puts a chuckle in my day!!

Shelley said...

I think I am going to die laughing, and I've started my list. If I offer to pay for the copays of visits to therapy, does that make me a "good" efficient mother?

As Time Goes By...Our Family Blog said...

Oh my! Melanie you are hysterical, and I can totally relate...we sit with the 4 kids between us as well. One Sunday, as they were sustaining me in a calling, my sweet, little girl proceeded to (as they announced my name and in her best "gangsta" voice) yelled "Kim Beazaahh". Where did that come from? Anyway,I was totally embarrassed. AND,last year, we walked away from our 3 year old on the streets of Las Vegas, not realizing that we were leaving her behind. It's true, there's something about the 4th. I Love reading your blog!

Nikki said...

That is really funny. I used to say the same thing about sitting by my husband in church. Yeah 4 kids in sacrament meeting add up to a lot of fun. I can't tell you how many times my 4 year old has escaped from the pew to run and sit with his dad on the stand. With everyone looking at me like I am a crazy woman! Oh by the way my kid was never going to be the one who escaped and ran around the chapel.

texaswilliams said...

Now that is funny!! Miss you.

Heidi said...

I love you! The best part is...this stuff happens to us all...even those who pride themselves on being excellent parents!! Remind me to tell you the story about Lexie and the metal can/cut foot story.

Anonymous said...

oh that is funny, we have done that before with just Jaden. mia doesn't stand a chance

Xela said...

Histerical! This is why I am stopping at 3, I think I would mess up the 4th so bad! I do think Jeff sits up on the stand and laughs to himself as he watches me struggle with the 3 kids and trying to keep Zach from running up on the stand. Mark my words, it will happen one of these days and Jeff will give me the evil eye....should be fun! :)

Amy C said...

Ha! So funny!