Because of the craziness of the holidays I saw a couple of the movies without my pal Raleen and have brought in some "guest reviewers" to help you in your future movie selections.
(For those who are new, instead of "stars", our rating system is Hugh Jackman for me, Mr. Darcy for Raleen and our special guest reviewers got to choose their own rating systems.)
Bedtime Stories

Although I will fully admit that I love a lot of Adam Sandler's movies, I'll also be the first to admit I usually always go into one of his movies with a preemptive grimace attached to my face. Always ready for the line to be crossed from funny and quirky to awkward, inappropriate and the occasional ridiculous image burned irrevocably into my brain. The combination of Sandler and Disney is probably similar to whoever was sitting in the kitchen one day 100 years ago and said, "Wait, what if we put the cheese on the pizza..." In a word, well, I guess a couple words...brilliant combination. He can use his sense of humor that makes the movie funny and different, but the Mouse reigns him in enough that what you are left with is a cute, funny, quirky movie that doesn't make you want the last few minutes of your life back. Although I think the adults laughed more than the kids, it was a solid good time had by all and a great collaboration.




(Guest Reviewers Justin, Hannah and Jackson gave it...)



The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I loved this movie. For me it was fantastically different. While Brad Pitt was one of the heart throbs of my day, it hasn't always covered a multitude of sins. Some of his movies have been downright bad. And then out of nowhere, he's brilliant again. Here, he is brilliant. When watching the Oscars I usually fast forward through the nominations and winners of Cinematography, Makeup, Special Effects what have you. My brain just tunes out names of people I don't know going on for 12 hours thanking more people I don't know. This year I will be watching to see who wins, because this movie should at least be a contender if not the winner for at least one of those categories. I don't even know how they did it. But someone did and that someone was incredible. It's so different than anything you've seen, and it keeps you wrapped up in the story the entire 2 hours 45 min. Australia was another long movie we told you to see and people were split. You either loved or hated it. Raleen thought this movie was good but not great and I think she has lost her mind. I will go out on a limb here and say you will love* this movie.







(*love-99 percent chance you will really enjoy yourself at this movie. 1 percent loophole for those of you with hearts made of Cole.)
Yes Man

Ohhhh-kaaayyyy. Jim Carey. Oh Jim Carey. Why do you do it? You're seriously as bad as Sandler. For the most part this was a cute, funny movie. Like we laughed. Alot. Out loud. But there is a scene within the first half hour that is so disturbing it makes it hard for me to recommend the movie as a whole. We're not talking nudity, swearing or violence. Just flat out disturbing and wrong on so many levels. I'm sure some of you more curious types are buying your tickets online right now as you read this. So be it. If you survive the miserable 20 seconds that make you want to clean your brain with a toothbrush, you'll find the story clever, the writing funny and the acting well done. It's up to you. (Bleeehuhhh...sorry, just thought of it again and involuntarily shivered.)






Seven Pounds

I saw this with my sister-in-law Jamie. You spend the first half of the movie confused but drawn in.
Jamie: What the heck is going on?!
Me: I don't know!!
Jamie: They better start explaining things like now!
(Pause)
Me: It's so good right!?
Jamie: I know I love it!
And once you realize what's going on you spend the rest of the movie bawling your eyes out.
Jamie (crying): I can't believe he's going to do that
Me (sobbing): I know, maybe there's another way, how can that happen??
(Pause)
Jamie: This is the best movie!
Me: I know I love it! (bawling hopelessly...)
Will Smith is one of those actors who wears whatever he's feeling on his face. He makes you believe and feel what is going on. Sometimes you see amazing actors on screen and you're all: "Wow, you are an incredible human being." Then you see them in interviews and you're like, "Oh, that's a let down, cuz you're kind of a lunatic." Jamie and I both commented that this movie stayed with us for days after. His choices, what has happened in his life, whether you agree or disagree with it all--Trust us. You will think about it. Will Smith is a class act on and off the screen and you should definitely go be confused and then emotionally traumatized by this movie. It's the best!




Guest Reviewer Jamie Anderson gave it...


11 comments:
Hey, i've been waiting for this, since there have been so many movies I've wanted to see come out.
we saw 7 lbs in AZ & absolutely loved it! It was a favorite of both Matt & I... (loving Jamie since she picked Will as her rating, we are of the same mind!)
Can't wait to see Brad's movie, we went to see Valkyrie instead, and it was NOT my cup of tea, but the boys enjoyed it, so that's all that matters, right?
Hmmmm, love Will Smith and all things Will Smith....
Brad, yeah no. Don't like him or his movie. Don't be mad. But can a movie be THAT great when all throughout I was like, "wow, is this movie still going on??" Two thumbs up for the make up people, though.
I have a sleeper movie for you -"Doubt" with Meryl Streep. Check it out.
Luvs.
seriously, you-raleen, minds lost.
SO fun! Can't wait to go to the movies with you again!!
Okay... LOVED loved loved... Ben button. Never was a Brad Pitt fan until his aviator sunglasses and motercycle in this film! Loved loved 7 pounds. Didn't see Bedtime stories. You can skip Valkarie. And tales of desperauex. Bolt a must see. Phew... now I feel like we're on the same page :)
OH and ditto on the Yes Man review. And EWWWWW..... on the 20 seconds. I about lost my popcorn and hot tamales!
love the movie review, keep 'em keeping. i'm so curious now about what the yes man comment is about!
this is helpful. we went to see bedtime stories last week, missed 1/3 of it (mostly the end) due to lilly being cranky and in and out of the theatre but what i saw was good. i have been wondering what 7 pounds is about, trailers are so vaque, but sounds good. thanks so much!
it's way better to go into it NOT knowing.
I was thinking of putting a "quotes from the kids over Christmas break" on my blog, bet you can't guess this one.... "Hey Jamie, do you want to play medory?"
Lovin the reviews---I actually saw all of these movies over Christmas (and then some, how pathetic is that?). Should I admit that I have no idea what scene you are refering to in Yes Man? Am I so calloused and desensitized? But you were far more generous with your Hugh's than I would have been---that movie couldn't have ended fast enough for me.
Post a Comment