Thursday, January 22, 2009

I'm sorry, excuse me, come again?

Because of my busy blog, Facebook and yoga schedule, I don't always make the time for current events like I should. I rely heavily on the people in my life who do follow the news companioned by the fact that I season pass Dateline. One might draw the conclusion that I am painfully lacking in pertinent information, but it's worked for almost a decade. So if it ain't broke don't fix it I always say.
But even I have come out of Upward Facing Dog long enough to appreciate the recent story of flight 1549. The incredible story of the pilot who was able to land a plane in the Hudson river after his engines failed him, safely enough that no one was hurt. I was fascinated by it, moved by it, amazed by it. So tonight as I'm waiting for Lost to record, I tap into my trusty news gathering system and watch the most recently recorded Dateline. (Sadly I'm 5 behind.) Sure enough, it is about flight 1549. Already knowing that everyone survived and was okay, I was anxiously awaiting in depth news coverage of the passengers and the pilot.

I'm about 5 minutes in when they show an animated simulation of what happened that day and I about fell off the couch. Somehow, even with my perfectly structured news gathering system, I apparently failed to understand the first time that the plane was taken down by BIRDS!! Yeah, Geese apparently. Geese!! Geese who fly in the air all the time flew into the engine, destroyed it, and brought the plane down. Hello??? Uh, side note: Why is no one freaking out more about this? How on earth has this been omitted from the safely spiel you get every time you fly?

"Lack of oxygen...change of pressure,...seat is also your life preserver...in case you're an idiot here's how you successfully buckle a seat belt...oh yeah, and birds could fly into us and we could plummet into a terrifying death spiral. Umm, don't recall that last part so much.

I mean, that's like telling the people on a ferry boat, "Okay, get on this huge boat and it will carry you across the ocean. Oh but be very careful not to hit any fish though. Yeah, that would be very bad. Other than that, this rig here is as secure and safe as they come."

Pa-sha right!

Planes fly in the SKY. Except for when they hang out on telephone wires and come down for the occasional worm treat, birds are also in the SKY! I feel like Elaine from Seinfeld. "Hello!? YOU'RE BALD!" Anyone, anyone? Well, anyways, not the point.

No media outlet covering the story seems overly worried about this so I suppose this is just me. Maybe it's just really late and I'm feeling punchy. I guess we'll stick to the original plan and just try and steer clear of the birds. But between you and me, I'm skipping any flying plans that would take me south during the winter...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am surprised PETA isn't all over this trying to ground air travel in order to preserve the birds!

stina said...

I KNOW! How is this possible? Why aren't planes falling out of the sky all the time?!? Really, that's my only consolation - they aren't!

Melanie said...

THANK YOU!! Call me clueless, but i just thought it was a no brainer. Plane vs. bird, plane wins everytime.

Xela said...

I thought this was insane when I heard about and felt the same way, what are they doing to insure this does not keep happening, hello birds don't have flight radar!

Melanie said...

Xe!! There you be at! I've missed you around the blog!

Ben and Stephanie Taylor said...

i have long been under the conclusion that birds are out to get us. they're just biding their time, waiting for the right moment to strike...

Unknown said...

well i am guessing you have heard this but thought i would comment just in case you haven't. and i am not an expert but am married to an aeronautical expert so this is the way i heard it went down (in my terms not his)...typically near airports there is some sort bird sound device that keeps birds away (loud high pitched i think) which therefore dramatically decreases the bird/airplane affect that happened a few weeks ago. This machine was not working correctly at that airport when this accident took place. This bird situation typically only affects jets when taking off and landing since they fly so high, but does affect smaller planes more frequently. just thought i would share my knowledge...if any.

Melanie said...

I DIDN'T know that, thank you! gotta love husbands with a specialty!! i can breathe a little easier..